Dell announces Streak, a 5-inch Android-based iPad competitor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Dell's entry into the tablet market was made official Tuesday with the Streak, previously shown at CES 2010 as a concept, now set to take on Apple's iPad in the U.K. in early June, and in the U.S. later this summer.

The 5-inch touchscreen device, formerly known as the Mini 5, was formally announced by Dell on the company's official blog. The 3G-enabled smartphone and tablet will be exclusive to the O2 network in the U.K. and will go on sale June 4. The tablet device is about half the size of Apple's 9.7-inch iPad.

"I've been at Dell for 16 years, and I don't think there's ever been more buzz around a single Dell product than this," wrote Lionel Menchaca, chief blogger for the Round Rock, Tex., company. "In my view, that's for good reason. Hardware and design-wise, this thing impresses. Add the ever-increasing capability that Android brings to the equation, and you've got a mobile device that offers a ton of flexibility while looking cool in the process."

Over-the-air upgrades will bring the latest software to the platform, including Adobe Flash 10.1 and Android 2.2 "later this year," he wrote.

The device has a capacitive multitouch display with a 800x480 pixel resolution display, powered by a 1GHz Snapdragon ARM-based processor from Qualcomm. It also sports a 5 megapixel autofocus camera with dual LED flash, VGA front-facing camera for video chat functionality "down the road," removable battery, 3.5mm headphone jack, integrated 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and a Micro SD slot offering up to 32GB.

The Dell Streak runs a customized version of Google's Android mobile operating system, allowing multitouch gestures and adding "Dell user interface enhancements." It also has access to the nearly 40,000 applications on the Android Marketplace, Microsoft Exchange connectivity, turn-by-turn navigation with Google Maps, and support for Google Voice.

Dell first showed off the device, akin to a large iPod touch, at the Consumer Electronics Show in January. The slate-style device was briefly flashed by executives from Dell, as many companies introduced their own tablets before Apple's official unveiling of the iPad.

No U.S. carriers or partners have been announced, nor has Dell revealed any pricing on data plans or hardware. Menchaca simply noted that further information is forthcoming.

In a video showing off the hardware, Kevin Andrew, a member of the Dell Streak development team, said that the device could be used for consuming content on the go, including e-books, music and movies. Andrew said he's also used it as his primary phone while testing the device.

"For me, this is a fantastic device because it combines the capability of the Android platform with a great industrial design and form factor that can go with me wherever I want," he said.

As companies look to compete with Apple in the tablet space, many have turned to mobile operating systems like Android instead of traditional operating systems like Windows 7. Most recently, it was rumored that HP scrapped Windows for its forthcoming Slate PC that was shown off at CES with Microsoft. The company's $1.2 billion acquisition of Palm is expected to pave the way for devices powered by WebOS, the mobile touchscreen operating system Palm created for its Pre smartphone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I've been at Dell for 16 years, and I don't think there's ever been more buzz around a single Dell product than this," wrote Lionel Menchaca, chief blogger for the Round Rock, Tex., company.

How do i get a job as a "chief blogger"?
  • Reply 2 of 130
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    If someone is to carry something in addition to a smart phone it better be bigger and better than that.
  • Reply 3 of 130
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

If someone is to carry something in addition to a smart phone it better be bigger and better than that.

i read somewhere it IS a big smartphone.
  • Reply 4 of 130
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

it is a phone;

Dell on Tuesday formally unveiled the Streak, an Android-powered device the company is marketing as a tablet, though it will only boast a five-inch screen.

The Streak, formerly known as the Mini 5, will first be available in the U.K. later this month through O2, and will come to the U.S. this summer.

The Streak includes built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and available 3G, which will handle e-mail, texting, instant messages, and voice calls.

from http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364146,00.asp
  • Reply 5 of 130
    It looks like a rebranded Archos.

Nothing to see here.....
  • Reply 6 of 130
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

I second that.

This really is just a big iPhone or Android phone.

I don't get it.
  • Reply 7 of 130
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    was just an oversized iPod Touch. This is going to look SO cool up against someone head taking a call!

A repurposed Dell Mini. Well at least it will be running Android. Well custom Android. With Dell enhancements. Dang why did I just flash on an Enzyte commercial??!!

• Reply 8 of 130
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    idgi who wants to carry around a big android phone

btw and the android OS fragmentation continues
  • Reply 9 of 130
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Work your way up from associate blogger.
  • Reply 10 of 130
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I second that.

This really is just a big iPhone or Android phone.

I don't get it.

the problem is it's NOT a big iPhone or android phone. It's slightly bigger, but not big enough to make it worth owning if you've already got a smart phone.

Sheldon
  • Reply 11 of 130
    is the iPad even a phone ?

Come on, we know almost everyone here is a fanboy that needs to compared everything to the iDevices but the Dell Streak is a "phone". Should we compare the iPad to the next 4.3in Android device or the HTC EVO or the HD2?
  • Reply 12 of 130
    Kevin Andrew really just parrots Steve Jobs at the beginning of the interview when he talks about what consumers want. He also takes a long time to answer the first question about what he uses the device for, meandering to talk about Android and the device design. He seems to have his own agenda on what he needs to say, and is anxious to make sure he gets it out there. Things get better when he starts the demo, but he tries to make some things sound great when really they work just as you'd hope they would (when I click on a Facebook contact's name, should I be surprised when it jumps to their info?).

Overall, I think this is one of those devices you really just need to see yourself to pass judgement on.
  • Reply 13 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Work your way up from associate blogger.

Now that's funny! And very helpful, too
  • Reply 14 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    LOL I don't mind the Bluetooth headset or using a 3.5mm headphone/mic jack combo found in smartphone phones but adding an speaker and mic for using it as phone is pretty lame. It's only slightly better than the "sidetalking" N-Gage.
  • Reply 15 of 130
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    sorry but 5 inches is not a tablet.
  • Reply 15 of 130
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

It looks like a rebranded Archos. Nothing to see here.....

It does not look like an Archos 5.

I would be willing to believe that Archos designed it specifically for Dell as it is very close in specs and appearance to the Archos 5. See http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5/specs.html

I would be willing to believe that Archos designed it for Dell as Archos stock price has not cratered, but is up over the last few months. See http://www.euronext.com/trader/summa...&selectedMep=1
  • Reply 17 of 130
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

is the iPad even a phone ?

Come on, we know almost everyone here is a fanboy that needs to compared everything to the iDevices but the Dell Streak is a "phone". Should we compare the iPad to the next 4.3in Android device or the HTC EVO or the HD2?

Yeah, we know it's a phone. A really BIG phone - a repurposed Dell Mini. But they are positioning it against the iPad (did you read the article, sunshine?) so the comparisons are already established by the article. But yes, yes indeed it is a very big phone. Your Android fanboy status is peeking out just a titch. We know why you're here. Relax. It's OK. They'll un-ban you over at the Android forums once you get it out of your system. Take a deep breath. Repeat after me: "there's no place like home, there's no place like home..."

• Reply 18 of 130
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Step 1: Go to Wordpress.com

Step 2: Register

Step 3: Congratulations you are a "chief blogger" with all the journalistic exemptions, and your room is officially a news room.
  • Reply 19 of 130
    kay_bobokay_bobo Posts: 13member
    this is nothing but a BIG smartphone!! what a waste of time and resources. Nice try Dell!!!
  • Reply 20 of 130
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

sorry but 5 inches is not a tablet.

I second that.

How is this an iPad competitor? Its like comparing a netbook to a 17" macbook.