Microsoft's Office 2011 beta 3 for Mac gets new icons

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's great to have Office on the platform, but the real test will be pricing.

Between Pages, Google Apps and OpenOffice, MS Office will have to be very competitively priced if it is to remain a force on the Mac platform. The Business Edition should come in a 5 or 10-pack for small businesses.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Must be trying to reflect the ribbon motif.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    The icons do look nice and after having scored a copy of the beta 2 from bittorrent I can assure you the new version is pretty nice and coming from me that's saying a lot.

I want to join the beta program because I'm already beta testing Office 2010 on Windows for work but Microsoft hasn't opened the beta program up. I want a legit version.

Does beta 3 open up to IT people yet?
  • Reply 24 of 42
    tismotismo Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Microsoft Communicator is for intra-business communication and on Windows at least, is pretty rubbish. It doesn't even support basics like sending files.

Plus, the way we have it set up at work, breaks every link you send by prefixing it with an underscore, forcing you to copy and paste the links into a browser. Apparently this is a security feature.

As for the icons - I prefer the new ones.

That's incorrect. Communicator does support file transfer and active hyperlinks. I suspect your system admin has disabled these features through group policy.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    sippincidersippincider Posts: 410member
    Ballmer,

Do yourself a favor and study GM.

Even they were (barely) above throwing ugly new hubcaps on something & calling it a redesign.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Only these guys can spent aeons to develop a few decent icons and interface for a suite that's 20 years old.

Lets see if they in terms of speed it's a dog in performance.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    btw, they are trying to go for minimalism with these icons.

Let me break it to them, minimalism doesn't equate to minimal effort or taste.

These look something from an app from an obscure linux distro, that was put together in somebody's basement.

Most os x icons aim for realism, 3rd dimension properties, or a fun yet not tacky descriptive picture. And these guys opt for some flat, crap "ribbon" letters, non 3d, not realistic, and that are neither fun nor professional looking, but somewhere in the nondescript, generic uninspired in between area.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

am I the only one who likes the new icons?

i've seen worse...
  • Reply 29 of 42
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah if they spent as much time on the product design as they do on the icons and the splash screen each time, they might have something worth buying someday.

Yes, because the graphic designers' team that does the icons are the same guys that do the software design...
  • Reply 30 of 42
    dosheadoshea Posts: 3member
    Whyizzit that with all the money and (supposed) talent, MS still can design a decent set of icons!
  • Reply 31 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

lipstick on a pig

• Reply 32 of 42
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Microsoft Communicator is for intra-business communication and on Windows at least, is pretty rubbish. It doesn't even support basics like sending files.

Plus, the way we have it set up at work, breaks every link you send by prefixing it with an underscore, forcing you to copy and paste the links into a browser. Apparently this is a security feature.

As for the icons - I prefer the new ones.

MS Office Communicator 2007 R2 is supporting sending files, among other typical communicator features (instant messages, call, video call, email...). We have started using it recently in our office, but just basics for now, so I can't tell how good/feature rich it really is (compared to other solutions).
  • Reply 33 of 42
    In my opinion they (the icons) don't necessarily look better.. just different.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    initiatorinitiator Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Worst Icons Ever......

Couldn't agree more. By comparison, the old ones look like a work of art!
  • Reply 35 of 42
    These remind me of the plastic alphabet toys you buy for your 2-year-old to start teaching them the alphabet. Doesn't exactly say "professional applications" to me.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Yes, because the graphic designers' team that does the icons are the same guys that do the software design...

1) I was talking about the team as a whole.

2) The people doing the icons actually *should* be the same people doing all the UI elements.

3) If there is any kind of big separation between the UI artists and the coders, there is a problem.

A good software team thinks about UI all the time as an integral part of the product. A team that just "dresses up" what the coders do with some graphics at the end is not doing it right. A team that doesn't sweat every pixel of the UI is not likely to get a good product out the door.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Seriously, is anybody going to use Outlook? I am very happy with Apple's own Mail and how it seamlessly syncs with my iPhone and iPad. Does Outlook offer that but if not, why would anybody use it?

I have some serious issues with mail, so yes. I'm looking forward to Outlook.

The inability to choose a default certificate per account, no read receipt functionality, buggy smartcard encryption implementation... Yea - I'm hoping Outlook addresses these basics.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    bazingabazinga Posts: 2member
    In my opinion, the Word icon looks like an hand with two fingers up (second and fifth finger) that is a "sign of the horns".

In Italy this means "take that!", it's not so polite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns

Nice way to begin, Office 2011 for Mac
  • Reply 39 of 42
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MickeyPhelps View Post

I have some serious issues with mail, so yes. ...

What might these serious issues be?
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

What might these serious issues be?

Ummm... buggy encryption, lack of any type of receipt processing, no support for choosing certificates. Those impact me every day for business, so to me they're serious.