Pricing of new iMacs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The following is my guess, I'll leave specs to others.

All are LCD-based:

Good - $1199

Better - $1399

Even Better - $1599

Best - $1799

This prices may be high to many of you, but Apple's history is to charge more for Rev A's with ensuing versions dropping in price.

I don't believe there will be a CRT holdover. Reason: costs would go up to Apple because ordering CRTs and manufacaturing for only 100,000 units or less units (that's all I think they can sell) would push the wholesale cost up. For schools, the $1199 iMac version could be sold for less in bulk order. Education prices for individuals would be less as well.

Remember Apple is now pushing the iBook anyways as the computer of choice for education.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>The following is my guess, I'll leave specs to others.

All are LCD-based:

Good - $1199

Better - $1399

Even Better - $1599

Best - $1799

This prices may be high to many of you, but Apple's history is to charge more for Rev A's with ensuing versions dropping in price.

I don't believe there will be a CRT holdover. Reason: costs would go up to Apple because ordering CRTs and manufacaturing for only 100,000 units or less units (that's all I think they can sell) would push the wholesale cost up. For schools, the $1199 iMac version could be sold for less in bulk order. Education prices for individuals would be less as well.

Remember Apple is now pushing the iBook anyways as the computer of choice for education.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think they will slightly cheaper and a slightly cheaper education model with a CRT will still be there for like 799.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think they'll keep a cheap CRT model for the schools. If they wanna be #1 in education they have to.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    My understanding is that the low ball $799 iMac doesn't sell that well and Apple couldn't continue to sell it at that price because you can only sell at that price point when you make more product. 500,000 plus units of the old version will not be sold anymore. As a stockholder I wouldn't want Apple to sell a computer as a loss leader. Let Dell do that.
  • Reply 4 of 31

<strong>

Best - $1799

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I disagree--that there will be a $1799 price point. Even though the iMac is rumored to be LCD, you're still passing the entry level Powermac in price (sans monitor of course). Further, once you get up to that price, you're in the upper-iBook territory. Yeah that level of iMac would have some features beyond the iBook but the iMac is not a cool looking portable. IMO, I think there would be too many products surrounding the same price point--entry Powermac, the "Best" iMac, and the upper-end iBook.

I won't say it's impossible (can we say Cube ), but I don't think it is likely.

fb
  • Reply 5 of 31
    The parts of the 15" education level is so cheap that Apple can easily make them forever.

What is a 15" monitor going for these days? $99? And that's retail.

SdC
  • Reply 6 of 31

<strong>My understanding is that the low ball $799 iMac doesn't sell that well and Apple couldn't continue to sell it at that price because you can only sell at that price point when you make more product. 500,000 plus units of the old version will not be sold anymore. As a stockholder I wouldn't want Apple to sell a computer as a loss leader. Let Dell do that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple makes so much on the rest of their computers so I don't really think they need to worry about not making tons of money on a cheap iMac that'll keep them more alive in the education market.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I think they'll keep a cheap CRT model for the schools. If they wanna be #1 in education they have to.</strong><hr></blockquote>And not just for education. If you can't even buy a Mac at all for less than $1200, that would be a mistake.

About keeping both CRT and LCDs - I think they'll do it. These are probably made at different plants, and they've been making the CRT iMacs for so many years that start-up costs are long gone. They also probably have tons right now that have already been manufactured.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member

<strong>My understanding is that the low ball $799 iMac doesn't sell that well and Apple couldn't continue to sell it at that price because you can only sell at that price point when you make more product. 500,000 plus units of the old version will not be sold anymore. As a stockholder I wouldn't want Apple to sell a computer as a loss leader. Let Dell do that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

As opposed to throwing them away they shouldn't sell them to schools? Don't think so. They are a big hit with schools, that's how Apple got the education market back from Dell. You think Apple worked that hard to get that market back to loose it by not simply selling a surplus of old iMacs?

Not to mention Micheal interviewing "Dell is #1 in education again" Sorry, but the $800 CRT iMac is a must.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>And not just for education. If you can't even buy a Mac at all for less than $1200, that would be a mistake.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, you're right. That's actually what I meant, but I think the education market would be the ones who bought them the most, that's why I said education.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Apple is selling more iBooks then cheap iMacs to the education market.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Yeah, but I'm sure not everyone in the education market wants an iBook.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    Good: Expensive

Better: Very Expensive

Best: Oh My God You Must Be F*cking Kidding
  • Reply 13 of 31
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    I predict 3 models.

$1099.00

$1349.00

$1599.00

Oh, and they will have a $799.00 (CRT) model for education and student purchases only.

800, 900, 1 GHZ (G3)

40, 60, 80 GB

256, 256, 512 MB ram

15.1" LCD

Radeon 7500 graphics

CDR-W, Combo, Combo

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Cobra ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 31
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Cobra, come on, this is Apple we are talking about. It would not surprise me of the low end lad 128mb and a 20 gb harddrive. And they all will have the GeForce 2 MX

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 31
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    1599, and 1799??? Apple would be insane to try and sell iMacs at this price. A LCD iMac must be sold at less then 100 bucks more than the Rev. A iMac.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>1599, and 1799??? Apple would be insane to try and sell iMacs at this price. A LCD iMac must be sold at less then 100 bucks more than the Rev. A iMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

so you are saying one model below 1399?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>

so you are saying one model below 1399?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I assume that's what he's saying. I think it's possible.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't know much about graphics performance/chips. Is the GeForce 2 MX (or whatever it's called) a good chip?

What about the Radeon?

What does the iMac currently have and why does it suck?

And what are the benefit/cool things about the Radeon and GeForce?

I have a first generation slot-loading iMac with an ATi Rage128 in it (8MB).

Educate me a little on what I can expect going from my old iMac to a new one, with either of the above cards in it.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    [quote]Cobra, come on, this is Apple we are talking about. It would not surprise me of the low end lad 128mb and a 20 gb harddrive. And they all will have the GeForce 2 MX<hr></blockquote>

What was I thinking?

Here:

$1299.00, 1599.00, 1899.00

600, 700, 800 GHZ G3

20, 25, 30 GB HD's

128, 128, 256 MB ram

Rage 128 Super Turbo SE graphics

14.1" LCD (CRT on lowend)

Thanks for putting some sense in me.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>And not just for education. If you can't even buy a Mac at all for less than $1200, that would be a mistake.

About keeping both CRT and LCDs - I think they'll do it. These are probably made at different plants, and they've been making the CRT iMacs for so many years that start-up costs are long gone. They also probably have tons right now that have already been manufactured.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought that the company Apple buys the CRTs for the iMacs from has ceased making them. Obviously Apple has some stock, but eventually they'll need to redesign the CRT iMac for a new display tube (foolish for an item that'll EOL in a year) or discontinue it. I'm not disagreeing that a $799 iMac is a good idea for keeping market share in education (or that $599 unit wouldn't be a positive brainstorm), it's just my understanding Apple can't just keep cranking out the current iMac forever.