Microsoft's Steve Ballmer rumored to present at Apple's WWDC 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 164
    I remember Bill Gates doing a double act with Steve Jobs at an Apple spectacular, around the time that Steve had somehow persuaded him to put some money into Apple. I also remember Steve saying something like "People have got to realise that it's not necessary for Microsoft to fail in order for Apple to succeed." Very true, though a lot of people didn't see it like that at the time.
  • Reply 22 of 164
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

MSFT stock is remotely worth it only if I can reasonably speculate that they are going to split it up (i.e., take out the Windows and Office segments and spin them off as separate utilities.... er..... companies!).

There are few things MS could do to destroy the value of the firm faster than to split the Office and Windows businesses. The two units drive each others sales and have mutually preserved the monopoly possition. I can see Apple fans wanting a breakup, but a MS shareholder? If you would pay more after a split I have a lot of other investments for you. Swampland in Florida, a bridg in NY, you get the picture!
  • Reply 23 of 164
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Apple encouraging .Net on the mac would be among the stupidest possible things ever. Fragmention of the user experience is the only thing that could possibly happen. Linux anyone? Cocoa is a great framework.

As for a Visual Studio for iPhone OS...maybe but I just dont get it. Maybe Microsoft could make a IDE that is up to par with XCode and its tool suite on the mac but even that is unlikely. Also, do you know what they charge for VS with all the instruments and tools ?!?!? $10k. Thats quite a step up from free, when free gives you everything I can think you could generally want as a developer.

My bet is they demo Office for iPhone OS. But even that would be a big "meh" imo.
  • Reply 24 of 164
    RTFA it's so that people with Windows can develop for iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

How is MS going to sell Visual Studio 2010 to Mac developers when Apple give them Xcode for free? People buy bottled water, so maybe there's hope.

• Reply 25 of 164
    limeymicklimeymick Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Anyone willing to give me their WWDC ticket, I will get up and chant

"Monkey Dance, Monkey Dance!"

"We want the Monkey Dance!"

It will be a riot!

Thanks! I've never laughed so hard in a public place, and was nearly dragged away by the crazy police.

Personally I'd like to be there to see the change over from SJ to SB, the slides change from Keynote to Powerpoint, swiftly followed by blue screen of death ... and laughter. Lots of laughter.
  • Reply 26 of 164
    That's just a ignorant statement. So ignorant, I dont even know how to reply. I'll just say idiot and move on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by livings124 View Post

This whole thing is a bad rumor. Apple isn't hurting for developers by a long shot, and right now all developers need to buy a Mac. As usual, garbage from an "analyst".

• Reply 27 of 164
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Apple encouraging .Net on the mac would be among the stupidest possible things ever. Fragmention of the user experience is the only thing that could possibly happen. Linux anyone? Cocoa is a great framework.

As for a Visual Studio for iPhone OS...maybe but I just dont get it. Maybe Microsoft could make a IDE that is up to par with XCode and its tool suite on the mac but even that is unlikely. Also, do you know what they charge for VS with all the instruments and tools ?!?!? $10k. Thats quite a step up from free, when free gives you everything I can think you could generally want as a developer.

My bet is they demo Office for iPhone OS. But even that would be a big "meh" imo.

Windows anyone? Windows is nearly as fragmented as Linux. .net, mfc, and many third party frameworks.

If this happens it will be with the script bridge so that the user interface is still made with Cocoa and Interface Builder. I'm not sure how they would target the iPhone/iPad with decent performance though. I could see Microsoft wanting to do this to make it easier for developers to target their mobile platform. Maybe XNA for the iPhone?

Whatever happens, there is no way Microsoft native UI is coming. At best this will just be a way to take some of the work out of porting a .net app.
  • Reply 28 of 164
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Steve did say we'd be "Wow'd"! So for all the sight gaggers out there...

WOW!

/

/

/
  • Reply 29 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

That's just a ignorant statement. So ignorant, I dont even know how to reply. I'll just say idiot and move on.

That's just a troll statement. So troll, I dont even know how to reply. I'll just say troll and move on.
  • Reply 30 of 164
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    If this is true, it's HUGE, and the implications will take a while to sort out. This would involve risk for both companies, but also opportunities. I have a hunch this is true. I've been thinking for a while that while Apple is dissing Flash, they might very well be preparing to allow Silverlight. Unlike Flash, which is just a buggy ad-delivery device, Silverlight (and MS development tools) are used by corporations for internal application development. If those applications could run seamlessly on iDevices it would open a big door for Apple into business.

The question, really, is why MS would do this. I think the answer comes in two parts. First, I'm sure this would be part of a bigger deal in which Apple makes Bing the default search engine on all of their devices (and maybe more than that). But second, MS probably sees Google as a far bigger long term threat than Apple, and they are willing to do anything they can to crush Google, even if that means helping Apple. My guess is that MS's plan is to first crush Google, and then later compete with Apple. Meanwhile, Apple's plan is to first crush Google, and later compete with MS.

edit --- and one other thought -- if this rumor is true, it's evidence that Google f****d up bad with their Android strategy. In one fail swoop they managed to turn their biggest ally into their biggest enemy's biggest ally. MS+Apple vs Google means Google loses.
  • Reply 31 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Steve did say we'd be "Wow'd"! So for all the sight gaggers out there...

WOW!

/

/

/

When did Jobs say that? I've only heard that from Ballmer.
  • Reply 32 of 164
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Anyone willing to give me their WWDC ticket, I will get up and chant

"Monkey Dance, Monkey Dance!"

"We want the Monkey Dance!"

It will be a riot!

LOL come on monkey, do your thang!
  • Reply 33 of 164
    jcsegenmdjcsegenmd Posts: 105member
    Just over 3 years ago, SB was ridiculing the as yet unlaunched iPhone; its price and how few of them would sell. MS had a market cap of 2-5 times that of apple and 98% of the OSs on the planet

Fast forward. 100 million iphones/iTouches sold; MS is stumbling badly in the smartphone market, they now have 95% of the OS

Someone suggested that apple needs MS to go into enterprise.

Apple has done pretty well by starting with a blank page. When they decide to pursue enterprise, I doubt they'll waste their time rewriting someone else's software, but build their own

Can't SB see the irony of going to Apple with hat in hand?
  • Reply 34 of 164
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

How is MS going to sell Visual Studio 2010 to Mac developers when Apple give them Xcode for free? People buy bottled water, so maybe there's hope.

The key, if this is true, would be MS selling to Windows developers. They already have dev machines which they would install VS2010 on. This would allow them to not have to also buy a Mac to do Mac/iPhone development.

Upside for Apple? Not really sure.

I posted this in another thread, but will paste it here:

Beyond the huge shock this would be, it would also fly in the face of one of Jobs arguments against Flash. The stated concern, which I agree with, was that third party IDE's could not be counted on to keep up with advancements to the API and so devs using those environments wouldn't be able to take advantage of the newest enhancements. This was stated as being the most important reason for the prohibition of Flash. So, is MS expected to be more reliable in keeping up with developments of the platforms? Apple doesn't want to, and shouldn't, allow their success to be dependent on other companies, as it was with Office and CodeWarrior. While this would open the doors to many new developers, it seems counter to their recent position.

Quote:

This becomes even worse if the third party is supplying a cross platform development tool. The third party may not adopt enhancements from one platform unless they are available on all of their supported platforms. Hence developers only have access to the lowest common denominator set of features. Again, we cannot accept an outcome where developers are blocked from using our innovations and enhancements because they are not available on our competitor?s platforms.

-Steve Jobs

April, 2010

• Reply 35 of 164
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by limeymick View Post

Thanks! I've never laughed so hard in a public place, and was nearly dragged away by the crazy police.

Personally I'd like to be there to see the change over from SJ to SB, the slides change from Keynote to Powerpoint, swiftly followed by blue screen of death ... and laughter. Lots of laughter.

Another laugh I had this morning was MacRumors site used a flattering picture of MonkeyBoy to head up the same article there. I have never seen one before, perhaps it was Photoshopped?

I heard a rumor that Ballmer is resigning from M$ soon to publish a tell all book entitled "How to lose 300 Billion $ + and not get fired"
  • Reply 36 of 164
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Meh. It's amazing how business makes for strange bedfellows. Not so long ago Apple was in love with Google. Now the jilted lover is going back to the hated and despised old ex. Tech soap operas are so much more fun than the kind my girlfriend watches!
  • Reply 37 of 164
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    This is so unreal! And very cool in a weird sort of way.
  • Reply 38 of 164
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Why? That would make the iPad a whole lot more useful to us regular folk who don't live 100% in the Apple ecosystem.
  • Reply 39 of 164
    jahadeemjahadeem Posts: 9member
    Steve Ballmer comes out on stage.

Looks at Steve Jobs.

Ballmer gets on his hands and knees.

Ballmer says, "You win God." while looking directly at Jobs.
  • Reply 40 of 164
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snaggs View Post

Apple need a partner, and they need a big one.

Daniel.

Apple need(s) a partner for what exactly!?