Apple accused of trademark infringement over use of iAd name

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new lawsuit filed in California takes aim at Apple's forthcoming iAd mobile ad network, alleging that the name is in violation of a registered trademark and will deceive consumers.

Innovate Media Group LLC sued Apple last week, accusing the iPhone maker of two counts of trademark infringement, two counts of unfair competition, and one count of common law injury to business reputation. Innovate Media has alleged that it coined the term "iAds" in 2006, a name it uses for its video delivery technology.

Founded by John Cecil, a Yahoo alumni, in 2002, Costa Mesa, Calif., company produces online video advertisements for delivery over the Web. Innovate Ads, or "iAds," became the delivery mechanism for the company since 2006. The suit claims the company's product used by "Fortune 500" clients including Canon and Experian, though neither company appears on this year's list from Fortune.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office shows that the company filed for the "iAds" trademark on Oct. 25, 2007, and it was registered less than a year later, on Oct. 14, 2008.

The lawsuit makes mention of the fact that Apple vigorously defends its own trademarks, and engaged in "aggressive pursuit" of the Gizmodo journalist who published photos of a lost prototype iPhone.

Innovate Media said it contacted Apple co-founder Steve Jobs after he introduced the iAd platform in April. Innovate also reached out to Quattro Wireless, the mobile advertising company Apple purchased to kickstart its iAds product.

"Neither Apple nor Quattro Wireless has responded to Innovate Media," the complaint reads. "Instead, Apple has continued to use the infringing mark in commerce, including on its website www.apple.com; on iadtoday.com, a new website dedicated to providing news and information updates on Apple's iAd service, and in connection with its promotional materials for the upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference."

Innovate Media's suit contends that Apple's use of the iAd name has done "irreparable harm" to the company, as Innovate owns the trademark for iAds but Apple did not seek to license it before it revealed the name of its product.

"Given the obvious disparity in resources and market power between Apple and Innovate MEdia, the launch of Apple's 'iAd' application will effectively, and immediately, undo Innovate Media's substantial investment of time, energy and resources since 2002 to build its internet marketing and advertising business, and will completely overtake Innovate Media's use of its 'iAds' marks, and the substantial goodwill and reputation those marks have generated due to Innovate Media's efforts."

Innovate Media seeks to protect its 'iAds' trademark and has asked the court for damages from Apple, on the grounds that Apple's product is confusingly similar to its own. The suit, filed in the Central District of California, Los Angeles, asserts that Innovate Media is entitled to a jury trial.

Innovate's claims wouldn't represent the first time Apple introduced a product before it owned the name. In January, electronics maker Fujitsu revealed they owned the name iPad. In March, just weeks before the iPad was released in the U.S., Apple acquired the iPad trademark from Fujitsu.

Similarly, in 2007, Apple was sued by Cisco over the use of the name iPhone, just days after Apple introduced its handset. Just over a month later, the two companies settled their dispute, with both retaining the rights to use the iPhone trademark on products throughout the world. Terms of the deal were confidential.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Apple will either buy it from them or change it to something else. No harm done as Apples iAd doesn't even exist in the wild.

After checking their site out it appears that Apple is not even making anything similar to the product thar Innovate have. innovate make those stupid marketing flash vids that have a recording of a marketing actor reading out some marketing crap.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The suit, filed in the Central District of California, Los Angeles...

Why didn't they file it in East Texas? This sounds fishy to me!
  • Reply 3 of 37
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    i got a trademark on the word THE and i'm suing everybody.

bla. bla. bla.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    This suit will do nothing to harm the rollout of Apple's mobile Ad business. I'm sure both companies will come to a settlement in good time
  • Reply 5 of 37
    willychuwillychu Posts: 10member
    This latest Supreme Court ruling makes this a moot issue:

http://scoopertino.com/high-court-up...reduced-to-25/

• Reply 6 of 37
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willychu View Post

Thanks for the link to that site. I've never seen it before and it is hilarious.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Apple will either buy it from them or change it to something else. No harm done as Apples iAd doesn't even exist in the wild.

After checking their site out it appears that Apple is not even making anything similar to the product thar Innovate have. innovate make those stupid marketing flash vids that have a recording of a marketing actor reading out some marketing crap.

Yep. Trademarks are often very specific and as such it is possible to have the same term granted to one company for X realm and another for Y realm and it's totally legal.

and I love how everyone brings up Cisco but doesn't mention that they actually let the 'mark lapse via non use and at the 23rd hour of their grace period announced a new product (likely just so they could sue Apple).
  • Reply 8 of 37
    kp*kp* Posts: 13member
    This is silly. The guy trademarked a technology product with the prefix "i" in 2007. What the hell did he think would happen? Who exactly was trying to confuse their product with who's? The name of his product is Innovate Ads anyway, and if I were him I'd stop trying to steal another company's marketing gimmick, and make up my own damn name and let my company succeed on its own merits.

I'm not going to go so far as to say that Apple owns the letter "i", but for all intents and purposes, it is associated with them in consumers' minds, and isn't that why these trademark suits exist? Because one person names their product in a way as to confuse the customer as to who is providing that product?

Right or wrong, he's going to get stomped by Apple's legal team, and maybe if he shells out for some good lawyers himself he'll get a nice little settlement out of it (which elevates him to the level of people who trip on the sidewalk so they can sue for damages).

But to anybody who some time after, let's say, 2003, named a product "iSomething": I see what you did there, and even if the law is on your side, I have no sympathy.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    jpkelly1jpkelly1 Posts: 4member
    I find it all rather ridiculous on both sides. But don't forget this gem... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE
  • Reply 10 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Arguably the most publicity they ever got however this turns out.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    This is the first I have heard of this but based on this article, I think they have a legit case. I am sure Apple will pay them off. It seems to be more important to Apple to keep their surprises secretive and just pay the settlements later.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willychu View Post

Thank for the link, I have been falling off my chair laughing at the articles.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    This is very too sided because in reality these companies are probably using the little "i" infront of their product just to make people think apple anyways. I think the problem here is the "I" in these two versions of iAd stand for 2 different things. If I'm not mistaken apple's "i" has always stood for interent, and they just stuck with it on all their products cause its so recognizable. Either the trade mark is for the full words in which case their different, or it's for putting "i" in front of something to make it a recognisable symbol, in which case it belongs to iPod and apple.

I know it's dumb to think Apple can patton the letter I, but the reality is these company's are doing it to make people think Apple, in which case the lower case "i" followed by the product becomes a symbol of Apple.

This company could have just as easily made their logo "I. Ad" or "I-Ad".. They aren't stupid, they chose to have it iAd so it visually made people connect it to Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    kilimanjarokilimanjaro Posts: 192member
    Quote:

Innovate Media's suit contends that Apple's use of the iAd name has done "irreparable harm" to the company, as Innovate owns the trademark for iAds but Apple did not seek to license it before it revealed the name of its product.

Innovate Media seeks to protect its 'iAds' trademark and has asked the court for damages from Apple, on the grounds that Apple's product is confusingly similar to its own. The suit, filed in the Central District of California, Los Angeles, asserts that Innovate Media is entitled to a jury trial.

.."irreparable harm".. Hey, I think I heard a line close like that in Apple's complains in the Gizmodo affidavit..

Steve Jobs persistence to use a name that he like, even though it's already been taken, is once again causing Apple's lawyers a headache (although they love the money coming out from the law suits). Seriously, someone joked before about this habit insertion of "i" letter in Apple's products names, the company should have trademarked and license all the other possible names that Jobs would like. That would save time, and especially tons of money spent on the lawyers..
  • Reply 15 of 37
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

The lawsuit makes mention of the fact that Apple vigorously defends its own trademarks, and engaged in "aggressive pursuit" of the Gizmodo journalist who published photos of a lost prototype iPhone.

WTF!

What does a criminal investigation by the DA has to do with a trademark infringement lawsuit?! Are we going to blame the victims now (Apple or not) for "aggressive pursuit" of punishment?!
  • Reply 16 of 37
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    No court wars, just buy the damn small company. A few millions will bring them under the Apple fold. Innovate will just become another offspring of growing Apple kingdom.

Case settled!!!
  • Reply 17 of 37
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KP* View Post

This is silly. The guy trademarked a technology product with the prefix "i" in 2007. What the hell did he think would happen? Who exactly was trying to confuse their product with who's? The name of his product is Innovate Ads anyway, and if I were him I'd stop trying to steal another company's marketing gimmick, and make up my own damn name and let my company succeed on its own merits.

I'm not going to go so far as to say that Apple owns the letter "i", but for all intents and purposes, it is associated with them in consumers' minds, and isn't that why these trademark suits exist? Because one person names their product in a way as to confuse the customer as to who is providing that product?

Right or wrong, he's going to get stomped by Apple's legal team, and maybe if he shells out for some good lawyers himself he'll get a nice little settlement out of it (which elevates him to the level of people who trip on the sidewalk so they can sue for damages).

But to anybody who some time after, let's say, 2003, named a product "iSomething": I see what you did there, and even if the law is on your side, I have no sympathy.

Turns out you made the same arguement as me, and explained it alot better. I withdraw my comment and just attach myself to yours
  • Reply 18 of 37
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpkelly1 View Post

I find it all rather ridiculous on both sides. But don't forget this gem... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE

Wonderful! Especially the end!
  • Reply 19 of 37
    AppleInsider cites the use of the iPhone and iPad names before Apple had the "rights". If it is a name that Steve likes he is going to use it and pay for the consequences later. Take a look at a early Macintosh data sheet. Apple didn't have the name rights so a deal was worked out and the data sheet said "Macintosh is a trademark of McIntosh Laboratories, Inc. and is being used with its express permission". (see http://www.macmothership.com/gallery...MacOffice1.jpg).

Let's not forget that Apple Corps owned the "Apple" trademark until "Apple Computer" purchased it in 2007. Until then the licensing deal Apple Computer had with Apple Corps included a clause that Apple Computer could not enter the music business.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    This is plain arrogance and brings my opinion if Apple down a notch. Steve, stop skrwwing people!!