Crowds gather for international iPad launch as supply issues remain

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple once again caused a frenzy among consumers Friday, as people across the globe lined up to buy the company's latest product, the iPad. But with demand strong, Apple continues to face supply issues.

Friday represents the first time the iPad went on sale for customers outside the U.S. It was launch day for both the iPad 3G, and the Wi-Fi-only iPad in nine countries: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K.

Apple was previously forced to delay the international launch due to higher-than-expected demand stateside. Sales in the U.S. topped 1 million in just 27 days, less than half of the 74 days it took the iPhone to reach that milestone.

Profiling the launch day excitement, Reuters reported Friday that hundreds of people were in lines in London, Munich, Paris and Tokyo. It noted that there remains concern that Apple may not be able to supply enough of the device.

"There's still going to be supply constraints, but I'm expecting them to sell every single thing they can ship," Andy Hargreaves, a U.S.-based analyst at Pacific Crest Securities, reportedly said.

The report noted that Foxconn has had its live-in employees working around the clock at the factory in Shenzen, China, in order to meet demand. But the facility has recently come under scrutiny for employee suicides, and Apple and other technology companies who partner with Foxconn have publicly said they are looking into the matter.

Other launch tidbits:

A handful of AppleInsider readers from Canada sent word that they were notified they will receive their iPad late. "Your iPad is currently in transit," a letter from Apple reads, "however, FedEx has informed us that due to a flight delay, your package will not deliver on May 28th as planned. We are closely tracking your order and working with FedEx to deliver it as soon as possible. FedEx will make every effort to deliver your iPad on Saturday, May 29th."

Despite speculation that the international launch of Apple's iBookstore would only include free public domain titles, that turned out not to be the case in the U.K. Many paid, commercial titles began populating the iBookstore coinciding with the international launch of the iPad.

Finally, plenty of video was captured from the international launch of the iPad. Included below are some of the best clips from around the Web.

Doors open to customers with an excited staff awaiting at the Apple store at Bondi Junction in Australia:

Guinness World Records at the iPad launch in London, U.K.:

Comedian Stephen Fry praises the iPad at the U.K. launch:

Customers line up for the iPad in Tokyo, Japan:

Customers make their way inside and head upstairs with employees at an Apple store in Frankfurt, Germany:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Good for them, they finally get the iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple is 'Doomed'™
  • Reply 3 of 45
    rosscorossco Posts: 4member
    Have it on good authority that online sales were 70,000 units for Australia wide delivery. That's JUST the despatched deliveries for the 28th alone. A single day of sales.

Add to that whatever the apple shops sold in Australia in a single day.

Are we doing the numbers? What about the other 8 countries?

1,000,000 sold in 1 day?

Wow.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Wow. These foreigners must be as stupid as us Americans!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. These foreigners must be as stupid as us Americans!

lol
  • Reply 6 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Question to those that know these things ... in my memory of new Apple products (which means going back to the Apple ][ 48K) I can't remember any product being so constrained by supply. Is this due to excessive demand or insufficient production? If the problem is production shortfall is it due to caution, a deliberate strategy (I doubt this) or a specific component supply issue? If the latter any ideas what components are the issue? I have to wonder about the A4 chip.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    rosscorossco Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Question to those that know these things ... in my memory of new Apple products (which means going back to the Apple ][ 48K) I can't remember any product being so constrained by supply. Is this due to excessive demand or insufficient production? If the problem is production shortfall is it due to caution, a deliberate strategy (I doubt this) or a specific component supply issue? If the latter any ideas what components are the issue? I have to wonder about the A4 chip.

That was the other bit I forgot to mention. Sold out Australia wide in 2 hours
  • Reply 8 of 45
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rossco View Post

That was the other bit I forgot to mention. Sold out Australia wide in 2 hours

Rubbish. Third party vendors had stock all day.

BTW the bondi store was nearly a no go. It opened today, much to the ire of the of a reseller in Bondi:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/t...ml?autostart=1

Does anyone think this is sharp business practice?

I had a play with the Ipad at lunch but didn't feel the urge to buy. Maybe gen 2.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    I read somewhere not too long ago that there were almost 400,000 preorders + inquiries in Germany (where I live) alone. If that's true and there's enough supply, then we could easily see sales of 1 million units in Europe this weekend, if not today.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I had a play with the Ipad at lunch but didn't feel the urge to buy. Maybe gen 2.

That's fine. We need people to line up for the next gen too!
  • Reply 11 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There have been other Apple products constrained at launch. I remember some Mac Pro models constrained due to chip delivery.

I'm only guessing, but if I had to guess, it would be the screen that's causing the delay. Flash is in tight supply, but it's not scarce enough to be causing these problems - there is still Flash out there if you'll pay the price and Apple would no doubt be willing to pay a premium to increase the number of iPads at this time.

Or maybe there are no Chinese workers left....
  • Reply 12 of 45
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    "Comedian Stephen Fry praises the iPad at the U.K. launch:"

His comment about why iPad and other Apple products create so much positive vibe and love from customers is, I think, the most brilliant, by its simplicity, analogy I have ever heard on the subject yet .... to paraphrase: ... People love Apple products for the same reasons one would love a dog, not for the amount of "tricks" it can do but for the amount of joy it brings you by just doing what is is supposed to do , by it's appearance, it's fit and finish and how good it feels just to pet it and look at it. ( he says it much, much better than I)
  • Reply 13 of 45
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's fine. We need people to line up for the next gen too!

my mac pro did ship today though!
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There have been other Apple products constrained at launch. I remember some Mac Pro models constrained due to chip delivery.

I'm only guessing, but if I had to guess, it would be the screen that's causing the delay. Flash is in tight supply, but it's not scarce enough to be causing these problems - there is still Flash out there if you'll pay the price and Apple would no doubt be willing to pay a premium to increase the number of iPads at this time.

Or maybe there are no Chinese workers left....

My feeling is that it's the unprecedented volume. Am I wrong or is it not the fastest selling Apple product ever. I think it took Apple by a bit of a surprise. Volume of a product that involves many different suppliers can't be ramped up overnight.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

my mac pro did ship today though!

I am soooo jealous. That's my "dream machine".
  • Reply 16 of 45
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rossco View Post

1,000,000 sold in 1 day?

Wow.

We've become so used to this (in the case of Apple) that I think we no longer realize what an accomplishment it is.

While I don't have figures for more recent technology, according to Greystone Communications/Yankee Group, it took the following number of MONTHS for the following technologies to have sold 1 million units (unfortunately, I don't know whether these are U.S. or worldwide numbers), although it hardly matters when Apple seems able to accomplish it in a few days:

DVD: 21 months

XM Satellite Radio: 23 months

CD Players: 28 months

MP3 players: 28 months

Radio: 39 months

TV: 40 months

DVR: 53 months

VCR: 58 months

Online Subscription Services: 114 months

Cable TV: 144 months

Satellite TV: 144 months
  • Reply 17 of 45
    joguidejoguide Posts: 36member
    A great week for Apple. The universal demand for ipad and the fact that Apple surpassed Microsoft as the largest US electronic company is a true milestone. It marks the Third Age of computers. (The First Age included line command and keyboard; the Second Age include GUI and mouse). Apple has ushered in the era of handheld mobile computers and touch screen (iphone, itouch, and now ipad) which have catapulted the company into prominence. People have argued that these hand held devices are not computers, but looking back at the original IBM 5150, we need to consider that these "computer" had far, far less computing power and very limited OS.

Critics argue that Apple run of luck can not last, and that "open" systems will eventually prevail. Sorry to break the news, but Apple has already received patents that will carry them into the Fourth Age of Computers with microcomputers and augmented reality.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair." --Percy Shelley.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Any other Canadians get those delivery delay notices?

I didn't get one but FedEx tracking's last entry was yesterday morning in MISSISSAUGA, ON "In Transit" with "Package available for clearance."

——

WAIT! FedEx just updated their tracking info. I think it is coming today!!!!

May 28, 2010 7:58 AM

At local FedEx facility

ST LAURENT, PQ

I am so pathetic. Too much Kool-Aide
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report noted that Foxconn has had its live-in employees working around the clock at the factory in Shenzen, China, in order to meet demand

And some question why they are killing themselves, I said it on the other thread - it's not all about a pay raise it's about management, working conditions and the sweat shop mentality.

I like the U.K. clip - a 6'6" lady marrying a 7'0" man and interracial - that's advancement.

What's up with the German one, I couldn't understand a word they were saying as if they were speaking some foreign language, Russian or something.

Good to see some other countries getting their iPad's - congrats.

(me personally am waiting for gen-2, but will buy my mom a gen-1 - she won't care about the difference)
  • Reply 20 of 45
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    By the time all the Windows, Android and who knows what come to this party, Apple will be well established in this category with a long margin.

And just like the iPhone, another great product from a very great company.

Congratulations Apple! Made in America has become the best once again.