Japan gripped by iPad frenzy

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    I've seen Japanese tourists with iPad/slate type devices in the U.S. three years ago while on vacation.

So for them it's really no big thing device wise as they are bombarded with new tech toys and gizmos.

The exception is that the iPad is a trendy/rich Apple product and that is something that is really appealing to the Japanese.

Sort of what a Lamborghini would be to a American, foreign and exotic.

The reality is a Lamborghini is a cramped, confined and very uncomfortable car to drive.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

I've seen Japanese tourists with iPad/slate type devices in the U.S. three years ago while on vacation. So for them it's really no big thing device wise as they are bombarded with new tech toys and gizmos.

Tablet computers have been around for 10 years but none of them have been anything like the iPad. Those Japanese tourists were not using anything like it.

Quote:

The exception is that the iPad is a trendy/rich Apple product and that is something that is really appealing to the Japanese.

So.....the Japanese think the iPad is no big deal, but at the same time they are forming lines around the block only because its an Apple product? It cannot possibly be because the iPad actually works well.

Also you do realize that Japan has not been a great market for technology from the west.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    a real change from what I read about the iphone, which though it was reported to be "wildly successful", it was lukewarm enough that they had to start offering them for free.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Giving away the 8GB iPhone wasn't because of lack of demand. We are going through the worst economic depression in 60 years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

a real change from what I read about the iphone, which though it was reported to be "wildly successful", it was lukewarm enough that they had to start offering them for free.

• Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Giving away the 8GB iPhone wasn't because of lack of demand. We are going through the worst economic depression in 60 years.

Hasn't seemed to dampen the enthusiasm in the US, nor the ipad in Japan as this thread is reporting. Did the economic downturn suddenly vanish, or not exist in the US?

Lots of ways to spin things I guess.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    To give more context to the story. Softbank began offering free 8GB iPhones to new subscribers only. They began that offer in February 2009 after having sold the phone since June 2008.

Yes in the US retailers often begin discounting the iPhone around the March to May timeframe to boost sales and clear inventory for the new iPhone. Walmart is selling the 16GB 3GS for $97 for this very reason.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

Hasn't seemed to dampen the enthusiasm in the US, nor the ipad in Japan as this thread is reporting. Did the economic downturn suddenly vanish, or not exist in the US?

Lots of ways to spin things I guess.

• Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

To give more context to the story. Softbank began offering free 8GB iPhones to new subscribers only. They began that offer in February 2009 after having sold the phone since June 2008.

Yes in the US retailers often begin discounting the iPhone around the March to May timeframe to boost sales and clear inventory for the new iPhone. Walmart is selling the 16GB 3GS for $97 for this very reason.

well of course they would offer it to new subscribers only. Creating new interest is the whole goal is it not? It was spun that sales were not what was expected so they offered free phones with contract of course.

Personally, I think too much is made of the whole price vs not, a 3 year contract at a 100 bucks a month is the real cost in my opinion.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Tablet computers have been around for 10 years but none of them have been anything like the iPad. Those Japanese tourists were not using anything like it.

It was a touchscreen, but used a stylus instead of a finger and was wifi only (in the US) far as I knew.

About a 10" diagonal screen or so.

It could browse the internet, do emails, word processing and spreadsheets.

Quote:

So.....the Japanese think the iPad is no big deal, but at the same time they are forming lines around the block only because its an Apple product? It cannot possibly be because the iPad actually works well.

Also you do realize that Japan has not been a great market for technology from the west.

To the Japanese, it's more the trendiness of owning a expensive Apple product than the actual usage, because like I said they are bombarded with tech devices to do just about anything.

That's why they haven't really needed much tech products from the West, Apple gets a lot of it's product ideas from Asia anyway, they pick out what will work and then throws it's marketing spin and glamor on it and implies it's a original concept.

I've been to a lot of Asia countries, so I see things others don't always see.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Apple gets a lot of it's product ideas from Asia anyway, they pick out what will work and then throws it's marketing spin and glamor on it and implies it's a original concept.

You don't like the iPad. Everybody else does.

Bummer!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

You don't like the iPad. Everybody else does.

Bummer!

Ah poor piot, the sun didn't come out again today for you?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Ah poor piot, the sun didn't come out again today for you?

Quite the contrary! The sun IS out and so are the trolls.

Happy as Larry.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Quite the contrary! The sun IS out and so are the trolls.

Happy as Larry.

And London's best I see.