New cloud-based Apple TV to cost $99, run on iPhone OS 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 257
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    When this article said that they got a tip from someone who is very close to Apple, and that the tipster said it was like "an iPhone without a screen", did anyone else think Kevin Rose was behind this?

It just sounds like something Kevin would say and then be completely wrong about. Kindof like when he claimed the original iPhone would have dual batteries a slide-out keyboard and start at $249. Man, what was he smoking? This leak smells like Kevin Rose.

I'm just sayin'
  • Reply 22 of 257
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know about the "cloud" part, but it seems like they could save money, drop the price and make a better product of they dropped internal storage, relying on the storage of local computers.

Yes, BYO storage definitely sounds like a better way to go.
  • Reply 23 of 257
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    If streaming large video (100MB or greater) on this new iPhone OS A4-powered Apple TV is as bad as it is on the iPad, I'll gladly pass. The thing never seems to cache enough to play back continuously, and eventually just gives up trying altogether.
  • Reply 24 of 257
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So no OS update to existing hardware possible ?? ...

It's certainly possible, but since they are different chips, it's not that likely.
  • Reply 25 of 257
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

When this article said that they got a tip from someone who is very close to Apple, and that the tipster said it was like "an iPhone without a screen", did anyone else think Kevin Rose was behind this?

It just sounds like something Kevin would say and then be completely wrong about. Kindof like when he claimed the original iPhone would have dual batteries a slide-out keyboard and start at $249. Man, what was he smoking? This leak smells like Kevin Rose.

I'm just sayin'

Arg!!!

I dont't want cloud storage. I want external storage. This doesn't sound like the product for me.
  • Reply 26 of 257
    Putting my ATV on Ebay as we speak.
  • Reply 27 of 257
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

As long as you can also stream movies from a local computer running iTunes like the current AppleTV can then this sounds exactly the product Apple needs to release.

The next question is input devices. Standard remotes (eg the Apple remote) are lousy for for Apps and web surfing. GoogleTV failed to solve this problem simply going with a pointing device + keyboard. Can Apple provide a better solution? (preferably not requiring that everyone also owns an iPod touch / iPhone).

A Wiimote clone would do the trick.

GoogleTV could still very well have something similar. The quote from the Logitech site is:

Q: What is it?

A: We?re creating a system that includes a companion box ? an external device that connects to your TV through an HDMI port ? and an intuitive controller that?s been designed to take full advantage of everything the Google TV platform offers.
  • Reply 28 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

And I don't want to buy a BR player.

Why not? Do you not like nice things?
  • Reply 29 of 257
    I want an Apple OS in my (Philips) TV!!

I don't want another remote control

I don't want a new settop box

Apple should license (free of paid) its OS to TV manufactures...!!

Or - TVs should have a card slot/printboard where a small computer or OS can be inserted.
  • Reply 30 of 257
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    could be a game center also

could be good with bluetooth controllers
  • Reply 31 of 257
    I am worried that it is yet another way for Apple to fight off adopting Blu-Ray. I stream Netflix on my PS3 and play Blu-Ray discs. Until Apple supports Blu-ray on its laptops (which I could then hook up to my TV---or simply watch when I am mobile), I won't nibble at Apple TV.
  • Reply 32 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Looks like Eric Schmidt made off with yet another Apple idea during his tenure on the board. Not surprising given Google's approach to all IP but its own.

true...

i wonder who will feed the google, dell and microsoft parasites when steve jobs leaves apple...
  • Reply 33 of 257
    801801 Posts: 271member
    That Carolina Cloud that Apple is building is making more sense every day.
  • Reply 34 of 257
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

How fast would my home Internet need to be to download 1080p?

probably not fast enough.

I can buy the idea of going for no local storage, I can go for the cut price, etc. but I doubt that there will be 1080p available out of the gate. In fact if you look at the reports, it says 1080p capable which even implies that one day it could happen. but that day might not be today.

for 1080p we need a new compression format or a much much better bandwidth structure.

that said, even 720p streaming on something that doesn't freeze up or heat up like mad is an improvement.
  • Reply 35 of 257
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If true, should open up ATV to a new App Store for ATV section for games and TV apps. Awesome. I want iPhone OS to become the new embedded consumer electronics OS. With any foresight, Apple may eventually license iPhone OS to other CE manufacturers...? They are now in an all-out war with Google and Android OS.
  • Reply 36 of 257
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    ATV games with iPad, iPhone or iPod touch as WiFi or Bluetooth remote controller.

Count me in!
  • Reply 37 of 257
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I have a Samsung with internet features built-in. It is clunky. It has Yahoo widgets that I doubt with be supported for the life of the TV. You have to be careful about TV integration for these technologies. Will the integrated Google TV be future proof? If so then that's great. I just know from experience that integrated VHS and DVD players had/have their limits. I'd rather buy an external product that I know I can replace with something better when it comes along (i.e. the Google TV external unit).
  • Reply 38 of 257
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    That's hot !

As in awesome.
  • Reply 39 of 257
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Looks like Eric Schmidt made off with yet another Apple idea during his tenure on the board. Not surprising given Google's approach to all IP but its own.

Does seem like it.

And yet. They demo'd their new thing to be released 'sometime later after some deals get worked out'

Apple is more likely to show a product with a release date that could be as early as 'already shipping to the stores'

and just like with the ipad, many will get tired of waiting and buy what is already out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickertb View Post

Apple should license (free of paid) its OS to TV manufactures...!!

never happen. it's not Apple's style. Same as doing clone computers, clone phones etc

Quote:

Or - TVs should have a card slot/printboard where a small computer or OS can be inserted.

how is that really better than a small little box and a short cord.
  • Reply 40 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I have a Samsung with internet features built-in. It is clunky.

But it's free. People will be hard pressed to spend even $100 on a device whose main function is a storefront for renting and buying content.