New cloud-based Apple TV to cost $99, run on iPhone OS 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 257
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Be still, my beating heart.......

This is just the beginning of what is going to be another -- and perhaps the ultimate -- game-changer.
  • Reply 42 of 257
    801801 Posts: 271member
    If it has all the internals and operating system of an iphone, could it be used as a game controller or interface ? I know there would be no screen, and it will be wired to the video screen and power supply, but could it have a bluetooth to allow interface to a controller or itouch. It would receive steam based games on line ( I know, wrong operating system), or have a game app on board.

Or is this just an obvious extension of this sort of hardware layout?
  • Reply 43 of 257
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    With the iPad, Apple's proven that iPhone OS is the right operating system for a device like this. This makes total sense. Plus, there have been whispers of a cloud-based iTunes for some time now. I'd expect this to launch at the same time (or at least not sooner than) the new iTunes Store.

As for apps, iPhone/iPad apps can't run on this device because the hardware is too different (no touchscreen, accelerometer, etc). The iPhone SDK, however, would make a great development platform for Apple TV apps. It would be awesome if there were an App Store for Apple TV to bring more streaming content to the platform, but I'm not sure if Apple would embrace that kind of openness as it would compete with the iTunes Store.

Then again, Netflix and ABC run on iPad, and those both compete with iTunes in the same way, so what do I know?
  • Reply 44 of 257
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

... how is that really better than a small little box and a short cord.

Less dusting?
  • Reply 45 of 257
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    This is very exciting...

First the device sounds like something I've been waiting for... However, the more interesting thing that people aren't talking about is this... Is this a sign that Apple has some meaningful deals with the studios? Unless things have changed.... While the iTunes movie store is 'okay' its mostly filled with DVD priced offerings in 720p quality and with less than stellar audio support. Certainly no 5.1 or 7.2... It's 2010 and OS X still doesn't do acceptable HT audio.

Is this about to change? I sure hope so... because it's not like Apple (Steve) to roll out a device that supports 1080p without them having any 1080p content to offer.

Wow.. exciting times ahead... and why am I constantly telling myself to RELAX and not expect to hear about this at WWDC.
  • Reply 46 of 257
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    If this is true, I'm 100% sure Apple TV will also be an iPhone app, just like iPod.
  • Reply 47 of 257
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    If part of that cloud is my NAS, I'm all for it. This is feeling like a netflix-type appliance.
  • Reply 48 of 257
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Just some thoughts.

1.) This will probably have a camera. As a companion product to the video conferencing iPhone.

2.) App store has netflix. This device would run iPhone OS...

2a.) Netflix now supports iPad video adapter.

3.) It will have 802.11n and bluetooth using same chipset as iPad.

4.) Will probably support connectivity to iPhone/iPod Touch for remote wifi or bluetooth.

5.) I doubt it will stream 1080p. That seems over the top.

6.) Will not have blue-ray. Apple will never have Blue-ray. Blue-ray is a dead medium, long term. Streaming will replace it completely in the future.
  • Reply 49 of 257
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

But it's free. People will be hard pressed to spend even $100 on a device whose main function is a storefront for renting and buying content.

The biggest reason the iPad can't sell like hotcakes

Your predictions on what people will buy seem to be a little shaky. Based on later posts, even you bought an iPad.
  • Reply 50 of 257
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Well, if you look at product hardware updates, Apple seems to do major overhauls around the 4th generation of every device:

iPod Gen4 = Color display and introduced the Mini

iPod Nano Gen4 = Camera

Iphone Gen4 = Prabaly just aesthetic look and OS4, but could have video chat like predicted.

This will be the Gen4 for ATV and usually goes on a 3-4 year period, so 2011 might be the year of the ATV!!! Plus they've been slowly introducing larger format versions of the iOS over the past 9 years. I would expect to see this on the shelves for the 10th annaversary of the iDevices...probably with a full refresh of every i-product, excluding the iPhone, which will probably get it's full refresh this year.
  • Reply 51 of 257
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member
    YES!!!! Been waiting for this! Sounds like an awesome direction for the AppleTV!
  • Reply 52 of 257
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    What has always seemed to me to be a logical extension of the AppleTV functionality is to allow it to control your lights and appliances in your house. It has to be plugged into the wall in the first place.
  • Reply 53 of 257
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Your predictions on what people will buy seem to be a little shaky. Based on later posts, even you bought an iPad.

I completely agree with Cory's previous post on the iPad...yeah, it's selling really well, but i think that if what Cory wants (as do i) in future iPad (a standalone device) doesn't come to fruition soon, like in the Gen2 or Gen4, then sales will be flat for the next couple years. the people that buy new ones will be either previous iPad owners wanting to blow another 800 bucks for the latest and greatest or people (like me) who are finally giving in (which i haven't on the Apple TV yet)...mainly because we want one and don't see anything more compelling (i.e. settling for now).
  • Reply 54 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So no OS update to existing hardware possible ??

I know, it isn't powerful enough but what about a dumbed down 720P version of the OS?

Other than that I hope it is all true, this will add even more to AAPL I am sure.

As the owner of 2 Apple TVs ... I feel your pain.. however given this price point (if its true) why would you hold on to the Apple TV if you could get a turbo-charged monster such as what is described above for less than it cost for a month of a deluxe cable tv package + internet or 5 bluray movies?

Not too sure I'll be posting my ATVs up on ebay given this one lone rumor but I sure hope I'm not a sucker for not jumping now while I had the chance.
  • Reply 55 of 257
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Even when I wrote that, I intended to purchase an iPad for myself. And everything I wrote still stands; if it did all of those things I mentioned, it would increase their market exponentially. Markets which I am not part of, which is why those points I made have nothing to do with my buying needs.
  • Reply 56 of 257
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

As the owner of 2 Apple TVs ... I feel your pain.. however given this price point (if its true) why would you hold on to the Apple TV if you could get a turbo-charged monster such as what is described above for less than it cost for a month of a deluxe cable tv package + internet or 5 bluray movies?

I think I'll post my ATVs now and try and avoid the rush (probably too late).

Yep Dave, I know you are right about selling, I just horde Apple stuff

I have working. Apple ][s, ///s Mac Plus , SE 30, G4s, iMac (original models) and so on .. (my wife is on ultimatum #2089 to get rid of all but current stuff).

As we are about to downscale for retirement I will have to have a yard sale with permission of Apple for a temporary dealers permit
  • Reply 57 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The price is entirely possible given 3Gs will be $97 at Walmart soon if I remember correctly.

Not "soon" it is already - was on their website 2-3 days ago.
  • Reply 58 of 257
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Even when I wrote that, I intended to purchase an iPad for myself. And everything I wrote still stands; if it did all of those things I mentioned, it would increase their market exponentially. Markets which I am not part of, which is why those points I made have nothing to do with my buying needs.

Fair enough, I didn't go back far enough to see what your purchasing intentions were, but the iPad is selling like hotcakes. I do suspect things like printing support will come though.
  • Reply 59 of 257
    Quote:

Ouch you did NOT just go there...
  • Reply 60 of 257
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Looks like Eric Schmidt made off with yet another Apple idea during his tenure on the board. Not surprising given Google's approach to all IP but its own.

Please, can we cut this BS out? All tech companies "borrow" ideas from other companies.

You could easily say this is a copy of the Roku box that originally came out for Netflix a couple of years ago. Or that Apple "stole" the idea for the iPhone from Palm or Blackberry (and phone app stores existed long before Apple even announced a phone).