Time Warner, NBC Universal delay iPad support in preference to Flash

Comments

• Reply 121 of 159
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

did I say -you- exaggerated?

easy on the red bulls and learn to read.

Well, it still looks like you are saying I exaggerated, otherwise, why is my post quoted when your reply has nothing to do with my post other than that we both speak of exaggeration?

Maybe you need to learn how to write?
  • Reply 122 of 159
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    If I was reading it correctly he was talking about Apple not the developer. Apple doesn't want its own platform hijacked and stifled by another company and the limits of their development tools. This happened before with the Macintosh and it was a nightmare for Apple, they don't want that to happen with the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

Your comment doesn't even make sense... So if using Flash is equal to handing your destiny to Adobe... what does using Apple's development environment,

• Reply 123 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

If I was reading it correctly he was talking about Apple not the developer. Apple doesn't want its own platform hijacked and stifled by another company and the limits of their development tools. This happened before with the Macintosh and it was a nightmare for Apple, they don't want that to happen with the iPhone.

No, I was talking about Apple, developers, and content publishers: the entire chain. Developers and content publishers either control their own destinies by using native/HTML5 tools, or they allow 3rd parties to control their destinies by using cross platform tools. And this doesn't just apply to targeting iPhone OS users, it applies to all platforms.
  • Reply 124 of 159
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, it still looks like you are saying I exaggerated, otherwise, why is my post quoted when your reply has nothing to do with my post other than that we both speak of exaggeration?

Maybe you need to learn how to write?

perhaps, now just a thought, I was talking about the whole back forth reporting of the new flash player. A lot of people posting things as FACT, when they're nothing but opinions, reports, and conjecture.

Sometimes when someone quotes you, they're responding to the content, not you personally. It's a crazy notion I know.
  • Reply 125 of 159
    I would have to agree then, that doesn't make much sense.

Software developers don't control native app development of any platform. Nor do they control HTML5 or third party development tools. They don't directly control any of it.

Quote:

No, I was talking about Apple, developers, and content publishers: the entire chain. Developers and content publishers either control their own destinies by using native/HTML5 tools, or they allow 3rd parties to control their destinies by using cross platform tools. And this doesn't just apply to targeting iPhone OS users, it applies to all platforms.

• Reply 126 of 159
    developers don't -care-. They will use what makes the most sense both from a development perspective, and monetary. (both are very related...)
  • Reply 127 of 159
    > Apple's negotiations with certain big media firms to support modern, iPad-compatible web standards

Do you not see the irony of this opening statement?

While the rest of the world accesses the real internet; apple wants us to access some controlled version that their crippled devices can access. The world is much smarter than that. We have evolved past the point of some bureaucracy telling us what information should be accessible and what should not. THis is not a more modern version of the internet! This is a controlled, crippled backward version of the internet. Apple really expects the world to go re-design most of the web apps out there so they will run on the crippled IPAD? ridiculous.

Steve Jobs is loosing credibility as he turns Apple into a gadget company that wants the internet to adapt to the Apple gadgets limited functionality.

The fact that few recognize the lunacy of the opening sentence of this "article" indicates the Apple brainwashing is working.

"So this is how freedom ends; with a few brainwashed people applauding Steve Jobs".
  • Reply 128 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post

> Apple's negotiations with certain big media firms to support modern, iPad-compatible web standards

Do you not see the irony of this opening statement?

While the rest of the world accesses the real internet; apple wants us to access some controlled version that their crippled devices can access. The world is much smarter than that. We have evolved past the point of some bureaucracy telling us what information should be accessible and what should not. THis is not a more modern version of the internet! This is a controlled, crippled version of the internet.

Steve Jobs is loosing credibility as he turns Apple into a gadget company that wants the internet to adapt to the Apple gadgets limited functionality. Ridiculous.

The fact that few recognize the lunacy of the opening sentence of this "article" indicates the Apple brainwashing is working.

"So this is how freedom ends; with a few brainwashed people applauding Steve Jobs".

>>gets beer and popcorn...
  • Reply 129 of 159
    nyguy66nyguy66 Posts: 1member
    This is about control, content and revenue. Its about executives that think control over the channel is more important than selling content (yesteryear's thinking).

NBC has always had a problem with Apple's control and pricing of their materials.

Does anyone recall about 2 years ago when NBC pulled their content from iTunes and started their own website to sell? They were back in Apple's arms less than 12 months later.
  • Reply 130 of 159
    Quote:

perhaps, now just a thought, I was talking about the whole back forth reporting of the new flash player. A lot of people posting things as FACT, when they're nothing but opinions, reports, and conjecture.

Sometimes when someone quotes you, they're responding to the content, not you personally. It's a crazy notion I know.

Ah, well, I guess you just need to learn how to use the forum. There's a button at the bottom of the comments on any page labeled "Post Reply" that allows you to comment without replying to any specific post.
  • Reply 131 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I would have to agree then, that doesn't make much sense.

Software developers don't control native app development of any platform. Nor do they control HTML5 or third party development tools. They don't directly control any of it.

No, but they control the implementation of their own software, what features it has, it's behavior and appearance, how well it feels like part of the platform. When you use cross platform tools, someone else controls that for you.
  • Reply 132 of 159
    Quote:

Ah, well, I guess you just need to learn how to use the forum. There's a button at the bottom of the comments on any page labeled "Post Reply" that allows you to comment without replying to any specific post.

but I was replying to what you posted. Is this not quite obvious? I think you need to calm down.
  • Reply 133 of 159
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

How painful could it be to convert videos to HTML5?

It's not like it takes thousands of people adjusting every frame. It's a process that can be automated and left to run over the weekend basically.

Sure, I get that it's not the same as me converting a few songs from mp3 to AAC, but really?

They can convert the important new stuff first and do the older titles slowly. Like the iTunes store did.

Seems like such a poor business decision not to get your media in as many players as possible, even if there are technical obstacles.

Exactly. Claiming their "vast library" as an impediment is ludicrous on the face of it. As you say, there aren't any Swiss craftsmen poring over each video frame. The larger the library, the lower the per-unit cost.

NBC execs aren't exactly the sharpest bunch.
  • Reply 134 of 159
    Quote:

but I was replying to what you posted. Is this not quite obvious? I think you need to calm down.

I think you need to stop playing childish games.
  • Reply 135 of 159
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Steve Jobs hates Flash because he knows that he doesn't have control over it.

Oh, I'm sure that's it. Jobs is Emperor Palpatine; that's his motivation.

Adobe could have avoided all this by writing halfway-decent code for OS X at some point during the decade. How hard could it be; they are a software company, after all. If there is hubris involved in this saga, it certainly belongs to Adobe in expecting to get along with their half-assed implementation because their product was the de-facto standard. By refusing to do what is basically their friggin' job, they put Apple in an untenable situation.

If you want to accuse Jobs for being a control freak, that may be valid criticism. From my perspective, standing firm on a good user experience is a positive, not a negative. I've been reading anti-apple tirades since the first iPod. Techno-geeks always quick to point out some device or specification that's "better" or has "been on the market for 3 months already, for chrissakes". They fail to take the 3 steps back that are required to see that most consumers do not want to deal with the hocus-pocus and headaches that come along with all of these "better than Apple" bits and pieces. In this respect, the Apple vs. PC distinction is the same as it ever was.
  • Reply 136 of 159
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

developers don't -care-. They will use what makes the most sense both from a development perspective, and monetary. (both are very related...)

True. But there's a difference.

GOOD developers learn to use multiple tools and are able to choose the best tool for a job.

LOUSY and/or LAZY developers only know one tool and insist on doing everything with that one tool - no matter how bad the result.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Originally Posted by g3pro

Steve Jobs hates Flash because he knows that he doesn't have control over it.

That must be it. He has so much control over html so he would undoubtedly prefer that.
  • Reply 137 of 159
    Quote:

I think you need to stop playing childish games.

ha ha ha, yeah right buddy. Calm down, no one's hatin Apple, it's all gonna be ok.
  • Reply 138 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

True. But there's a difference.

GOOD developers learn to use multiple tools and are able to choose the best tool for a job.

LOUSY and/or LAZY developers only know one tool and insist on doing everything with that one tool - no matter how bad the result.

That must be it. He has so much control over html so he would undoubtedly prefer that.

Holy crap, I think you might be gettin it now. I've only said this multiple times...
  • Reply 139 of 159
    Quote:

Quote:

Holy crap, I think you might be gettin it now. I've only said this multiple times...

If you agree that developers should use the right tools for the right job. Why do you feel that Flash absolutely have to be on mobile devices?
  • Reply 140 of 159
    zstepekzstepek Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Flash for mobile devices DOES NOT EXIST. HTML is your only choice (even if you have to ignore the newest features of html 5 for a while).

I love comments that lack proper research to verify their stated facts... http://www.android.com/market/#app=c...be.flashplayer (since deep linking doesn't work on Google's Android Market website, you'll have to click on Top Free, then select tools in the combo box and scroll down a few lines). Yeah, sure, it's a beta. But it's publicly available, and it proves that it can work. There are well over 100 applications in the iPhone App Store that were created using Adobe's packager for iPhone, which combines Flash Player code with an Actionscript > LLVM transcoder, proving that Flash Player could run on Apple iDevices, if Apple wanted it to.

Hardware acceleration of H.264 decoding in the OS X version of Flash Player is currently in public beta on Adobe Labs. Why did it take them so long to get there? Because Apple wasn't providing access to hardware decoding of video. Try it and you'll see the performance difference. All that software rendering of video is pretty processor intensive, as ALL software renderers tend to be.

Finally, for those of you who are repeating Apple's rhetoric of Flash being a "dead technology," keep in mind that all of the innovation that you're seeing in HTML5 happened in Flash Player first. Do you think Adobe will rest on their laurels and leave the Flash Player feature set where it is? They're going to continue to drive innovation on the web, as they've been doing for the past 11 years, by providing a platform and tooling for creating cutting-edge web content. Advertising agencies and major media outlets use cutting-edge technology to differentiate their offerings from those of their competitors. Is this possible to do a tiny percentage of what you can do with Flash CS5 or the Flex Framework with HTML5/CSS/Javascript? Yes. Are there tools available to help you do that? Not yet. And if they're anything like the tools I've seen from other "Flash-killer" technologies, they'll be bloated, unintuitive and way behind Flash Professional's feature set. In fact, the only tool with half-way decent HTML5 support that I'm aware of is Dreamweaver CS5 with the HTML5 Pack from Adobe Labs.