iTunes.com, new Macs pegged as potential Apple WWDC announcements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Surely September is the media event for the likes of iTunes.com - unless Apple need developers to build for it in some way.

It's crazy how long it's been since the 30" LCD went on sale. (I'm looking at buying 40" LED TVs (1080p) for <£700 at the moment.) Updates are more than overdue but to announce them at a Keynote would be severly underwhelming.

What about 10.7? Is that going to even get mentioned or do we assume that Apple think they're getting close to perfection on the OS front?
  • Reply 22 of 48
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

What the MacBook Air needs, as well as all Mac laptops, is a recessed spring loaded SD slot like in cameras.

This way one can buy SDXC cards (up to 2TB as they become available) and just leave them inside the machine.

Would justify using the expensive and low storage SSD options as one wouldn't keep their files on the boot drive.

That and more anti-glare screen options for those who need it.

I had to bring lots of images and other stuff for another trio to California next month, and I will be taking lots and lots of high resolution photos there too for a business project.

Last March, I brought my 500GB WB external drive for the trip because my other 375GB external drive was full and so is my notebook. What I accidentally found was that the WB external drives were more sensitive to jolts. I tipped them over while I was cleaning my room and the disk somehow might have gotten slightly jarred or something. Thus, if I could avoid it, I hope not to bring the 500GB WB external drive this coming trip because it contains archive photos and other materials that are very valuable (decades of archived materials). Not all of them were duplicated in the other 375GB external drive. [This is not as pressing but what is best for 1-2 TB storage?]

I was thnking of buying the low end iPad wifi but the 16Gb storage more than likely is not enough. And, sometimes the places we stayed with some friends did not always have wifi connections, they use PCs and the internet was connected directly to the computer. In one place, I had to buy a router for the place so that I could connect to their internet. Not sure if some of the places we will stay this next trip will have internet service, So, I have to rely on my notebook-external drive, just to be sure.

When I get carried away, sometimes I fill up both 8Gb and 4Gb disks of my camera for standard fine resolution 4-5Mb images.

I may need about 75-100GB for the two week trip. While there, I bought one of that capacity as a thank you gift for our host in Anaheim to transport his CAD files. It was cheap but it was also WD. I had to hand carry (backpack) the 500Gb external drive both ways, but along with the D200 Nikon, wide angle and telephoto lenses, even more heavy tripod, plus the notebook, there was no room in my huge backpack, and quite heavy.

I have not explored SSDs of that capacity, if there are any as compact external drives.

I have not used other brands before.

If anyone are quite familiar with disk drives, and have some alternative suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

CGC
  • Reply 23 of 48
    cxc273cxc273 Posts: 46member
    I doubt that Apple would use WWDC to announce any updates to the Macbook Air or the Mac Pro. Everything seems to indicate that the event will focus on the new iPhone and features of 4.0 OS. With a lot of ground to cover with features of the new OS and hardware, I doubt Jobs will take the time to talk about the other products.

I think updates to those machines will most likely come in the form of a Tuesday update, especially since they're likely to be more iterative than anything else.

I'm not hold my breath for this, but I am curious about the larger LED monitor that's been rumored and the next version of Apple TV. I really doubt either will debut on June 7.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    To me it would make sense to make the MacBook Air a de facto clamshell iPad with k/b, i.e. shove an A4 chip...or even a couple of them in there, as that is Apple's low power consumption device. It would make it clear blue water between it and MB/MBP devices.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Did I not mention a cloud based ITunes? You people did not believe me that Apple is trying to be the internet's version to WalMart.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Anyone else think (or hope) that Apple is not going to call it "iPhone HD"? I've heard that thrown around a few times but I can't say I like it nor do I think Apple would use it. I'm guessing, and hoping for iPhone 4.

I think iPhone HD is more likely and given that (rumour has it), the phone will have an HD video camera it makes far more sense than the recent spate of apps in the app store with the tired HD moniker tacked on the end.

Apple tends to update it's products with a single noticeable (and marketable) feature that differentiates it either from other products or the previous generation of it's own products. I'd expect that this year that differentiator is video. They will announce video calling and the HD video capture, they will maybe announce the new AppleTV and the new cloud iTunes, all of which focus on media, video, etc.

"iPhone 4" on the other hand is confusing in that the previous two models were "3G" because of the speed and it's likely that the *next* version of the iPhone (after this one), will have "4G." So they might want to reserve the 4 moniker for the 4G phone, although the next one could be "iPhone LTE" also.

My prediction would be:
    • 1st Gen - iPhone

• 2nd Gen - iPhone 3G

• 3rd Gen - iPhone 3Gs

• 4th Gen - iPhone HD

• 5th Gen - iPhone 4G

• Reply 27 of 48
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Mac Pro makes sense. Now that there are 6 core Xeon chips, Apple will undoubtedly use them.

MBA is a different story. There's really nothing much faster in the ULV line that Apple can use in the current design. If they go to ULV i5, they have the same problem as the 13" MBP - either accept crappy Intel graphics or find a way to have discrete graphics without busting the heat/energy budget.

Because of that, I expect that they won't release a significantly new MBA until they've done a complete redesign. You might see a slight clock speed bump on the current model, but that would be so minor that it would not be worth a WWDC announcement.

The problem is that unless they ask Intel to make a special Apple-only chip there isn't really a comparable C2D upgrade that doesn't bump the wattage up. They could keep the same processors, upgrade to 4GB across the board, increase hard drive size and upgrade the IGP to the 320M. That's about all that can happen with the Air without significantly changing it. It would need to be bigger and fatter to accept discrete graphics.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cxc273 View Post

I doubt that Apple would use WWDC to announce any updates to the Macbook Air or the Mac Pro. Everything seems to indicate that the event will focus on the new iPhone and features of 4.0 OS. With a lot of ground to cover with features of the new OS and hardware, I doubt Jobs will take the time to talk about the other products.

I think updates to those machines will most likely come in the form of a Tuesday update, especially since they're likely to be more iterative than anything else.

I'm not hold my breath for this, but I am curious about the larger LED monitor that's been rumored and the next version of Apple TV. I really doubt either will debut on June 7.

They often announce a few new Mac models at WWDC. Look at every previous year.

A new Mac Pro and new MBA would likely only take a few minutes, then onto everything iPhone. Count on it.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattalex View Post

(Mac Pro with HDMI out) Please!

not. gonna. happen.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Hey, I'm always up for a good game of "How wrong can Shaw Wu possibly be".

To make it more exciting with lower odds of winning it should be "Tell me when Shaw Wu is right"
  • Reply 31 of 48
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Anyone else think (or hope) that Apple is not going to call it "iPhone HD"? I've heard that thrown around a few times but I can't say I like it nor do I think Apple would use it. I'm guessing, and hoping for iPhone 4.

Sorry, you're wrong. It will be called the igizmophone.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I had to bring lots of images and other stuff for another trio to California next month, and I will be taking lots and lots of high resolution photos there too for a business project.

Last March, I brought my 500GB WB external drive for the trip because my other 375GB external drive was full and so is my notebook. What I accidentally found was that the WB external drives were more sensitive to jolts. I tipped them over while I was cleaning my room and the disk somehow might have gotten slightly jarred or something. Thus, if I could avoid it, I hope not to bring the 500GB WB external drive this coming trip because it contains archive photos and other materials that are very valuable (decades of archived materials). Not all of them were duplicated in the other 375GB external drive. [This is not as pressing but what is best for 1-2 TB storage?]

I was thnking of buying the low end iPad wifi but the 16Gb storage more than likely is not enough. And, sometimes the places we stayed with some friends did not always have wifi connections, they use PCs and the internet was connected directly to the computer. In one place, I had to buy a router for the place so that I could connect to their internet. Not sure if some of the places we will stay this next trip will have internet service, So, I have to rely on my notebook-external drive, just to be sure.

When I get carried away, sometimes I fill up both 8Gb and 4Gb disks of my camera for standard fine resolution 4-5Mb images.

I may need about 75-100GB for the two week trip. While there, I bought one of that capacity as a thank you gift for our host in Anaheim to transport his CAD files. It was cheap but it was also WD. I had to hand carry (backpack) the 500Gb external drive both ways, but along with the D200 Nikon, wide angle and telephoto lenses, even more heavy tripod, plus the notebook, there was no room in my huge backpack, and quite heavy.

I have not explored SSDs of that capacity, if there are any as compact external drives.

I have not used other brands before.

If anyone are quite familiar with disk drives, and have some alternative suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

CGC

Consider a Time Capsule. Been using it, is solid, flat, doesn't tip over and is available in 1 and 2TB, does autobackups and is a router with a USB port for printers/scanners. Basically, looks like you can afford it because backups are important to you, so you should think about it.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    With apologies to MTV:

"I WANT MY NEW MAC PRO!"

Oh - and a Jony Ive industrial redesign! Something like an Alienware tower. No more "radiator" or "cheese grater."

Oh - and more and increased-lane PCIe slots - like one 32X and four 8X (16X would be better).

Actually, two 32X PCIe slots and a capacious power supply with plenty of plugs so I can run two GPU cards in parallel using nVIDIA's SLI or ATi's Crossfire. (And let's not forget OpenCL, which could almost amount to a CPU upgrade.)

Oh - and slots that accept higher capacity RAM modules.

Oh - and more max RAM, like 128GB.

Oh - and an SSD bay

Oh - and two 100 Gigabit Ethernet ports

Oh - and an eSATA port

Oh - and skip USB 3 altogether and use Light Peak

Oh - and an AirPort card that performs as a base station

That's all I axe.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Is the MacBook Air really viable these days?

I keep getting this feeling that the MBA was merely a design progression towards the iPad - MacBook Air -> iPhone -> iPad and to me it would make a lot of sense to ditch the MacBook Air and only have the MacBook for the low end laptops, MacBook Pro for the more intense laptop requirements, and the iPad for ultra portability. That way Apple can slimline the range and not have to worry about a convoluted product line.

The Mac Pro issue is an interesting one though. It does seem like it is still a viable platform because it does have a dual role as a desktop or a server but do the Mac lines ever really get refreshed at WWDC?
  • Reply 35 of 48
    What I'd love to see is a refresh of the iMac range; I am hoping that maybe at the least we'll see the 320M being bought into the low end iMac 21.5, and maybe the 5000 series getting into the higher end iMac

When I graduate I'll go the full monty and get an iMac, iPad, Creative Suite 5, Microsoft Office 2011 :P
  • Reply 36 of 48
    When was the last one? Will it be soon, since that video is circulating that the next gen has camera?
  • Reply 37 of 48
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattalex View Post

Please!

MacPro's already have this.. it's called Display port. There really isn't any difference between going between a display port and HDMI port. Just need a special cable and there's some out there already that support Video AND Audio. If they do release HDMI that wouldn't be bad though. Just not necessary. I'm more interested in them FINALLY supporting BluRay from the ground up with Video Editing capabilities, AND Playback.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manzanaboy View Post

When was the last one? Will it be soon, since that video is circulating that the next gen has camera?

Every iPod touch so far has been announced at the September iPod event. Apart from the iPhone 4.0 OS I don't think we'll see anything until then.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_touch

The Back-To-School scheme is clearing the stock of iPod touches so you can bet the next model arrives days after that ends.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/cam...back_to_school (7 Sep)
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Is the MacBook Air really viable these days?

I keep getting this feeling that the MBA was merely a design progression towards the iPad - MacBook Air -> iPhone -> iPad and to me it would make a lot of sense to ditch the MacBook Air and only have the MacBook for the low end laptops, MacBook Pro for the more intense laptop requirements, and the iPad for ultra portability. That way Apple can slimline the range and not have to worry about a convoluted product line.

The Mac Pro issue is an interesting one though. It does seem like it is still a viable platform because it does have a dual role as a desktop or a server but do the Mac lines ever really get refreshed at WWDC?

Actually it went iPod->iPhone->Air->iPad

As I posted earlier, I can see the Air getting A4 CPUs, "standard" OSX and 3G now I think of it, but the whole iPad concept does alter the purpose for laptops. It is a game-changer.

As to MacPro, I think it will be even more important given the growth of iPads, being the "home" of say, a family's data and one into which you could easily VNC into. This would need concurrent logon capability (as opposed to just user switching). An iPad that could VNC into a home server would probably spell the end for many laptop needs. The MacMini can cover the smaller end of this market, but at some stage the hole between a MacMini and a MacPro may need to be filled...
  • Reply 40 of 48
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

My prediction would be:
    • 1st Gen - iPhone

• 2nd Gen - iPhone 3G

• 3rd Gen - iPhone 3Gs

• 4th Gen - iPhone HD

• 5th Gen - iPhone 4G

I'm projecting my hopes onto it I suppose. HD just sounds generic to me. They can call it whatever they want, I'm still a buyer.