iPhone OS 4 to open web services to Microsoft's Bing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

its current primary dependance upon Google...

Why is no one capable of distinguishing between singular and plural?

..thank you, i've been wanting to clear up the difference between "it's" and "its" for quite some time..

If you can be kind enough to check my post, and correct me if I made that kinda mistakes, I would be grateful..

PS. what's up with the 1964 movie title as your nickname there?
  • Reply 22 of 116
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    It would be nice to see Apple stir away from Google and start developing their own in house solutions for things like Maps, search, etc.
  • Reply 23 of 116
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Apple's strategy vis-a-vis Google and Bing calls to mind Bill Clinton's political strategy of triangulation. It can be pretty effective in the right circumstances.
  • Reply 24 of 116
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Since we're picking nits... Are you sure you know the meaning of the words no one?

Perhaps your intention was to say; "Why do so many have trouble distinguishing..." or maybe "Why do people have trouble distinguishing..." or "Why do so many people have trouble distinguishing..."

Maybe I need to sig this for everyones benefit? No, who'd wanna be 'that guy' ...

Quote:

no one

pronoun

no one shed a tear when he was fired: nobody, not a soul, not anyone, not a single person, never a one, none.

• Reply 25 of 116
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    The problem with search engines is that people have to use them for them to improve.

This is why an Apple search engine would be tough. Who'd use it? Even if every Mac and iDevice used Apple search it still could not compare to Google's power arising from its popularity.

The same with Bing. Really, who uses Bing?
  • Reply 26 of 116
    tkwleetkwlee Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coolaaron88 View Post

Well this would a way to move further away from Google. Besides having Bing is a choice too. I mean Yahoo is there and how many of us ever change the search to that? Bing Maps is superior to Googles.

I like street view by Google, and Bing maps are not that good outside US. It takes time to build up another promising map service and StreetSide
  • Reply 27 of 116
    kilimanjarokilimanjaro Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

The problem with search engines is that people have to use them for them to improve.

This is why an Apple search engine would be tough. Who'd use it? Even if every Mac and iDevice used Apple search it still could not compare to Google's power arising from its popularity.

The same with Bing. Really, who uses Bing?

Good point..

Well, Apple should start somewhere, the company can't just sit and stay idle while Google's services are dominating apps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch (aka. iDevices). So to begin with iDevices users would be suffice enough to start with..

Apple already has good market share with those iDevices anyway.

PS. shouldn't you just say like this: "Even if every Mac and iDevice use Apple search, it still can't compare to Google's search power."? Plus, I don't really get what you're saying with: "arising from its popularity." Can you please elaborate on that last sentence?
  • Reply 28 of 116
    kilimanjarokilimanjaro Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Since we're picking nits... Are you sure you know the meaning of the words no one?

Perhaps your intention was to say; "Why do so many have trouble distinguishing..." or maybe "Why do people have trouble distinguishing..." or "Why do so many people have trouble distinguishing..."

Maybe I need to sig this for everyones benefit? No, who'd wanna be 'that guy' ...

Maybe you should..

I am too having difficulties sometime to understand and write a reply, I'm still learning..

So please show the way, so I can head on to the light at the end of this long dark tunnel..

Because I always try to learn from comments and replies in forums, like this one, but learning from wrong ones can only lead me to wrong path too..

Jetz above posted this line: "Even if every Mac and iDevice used Apple search it still could not compare to Google's power arising from its popularity."

Shouldn't it be like this: " Even if every Mac and iDevice use Apple search, it still can't compare to Google's search power."?

And what exactly does he mean when added: "... arising from its popularity." on the last sentence up there??

Thanks in advance for your help..
  • Reply 29 of 116
    All I know is Bing is very efficient. Even Bing Maps destroys Google Maps. Better sky views, better directions and points of interest. Google always gets me lost. Bing gets me there. Sign me up for Bing, regardless if it's Microsoft.
  • Reply 30 of 116
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

Go and read this :

http://www.lamebook.com/profiles-2

Then thank AppleInsider for being as good as it is.

-----

I like Bing for the Aerial view but I don't see anything else being as good. Nice to have the choice of both on the iPhone/iPad though.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

mmmm.... I understand but I don't like Apple getting anywhere near MS. I wish Apple had another option.

Do you have any logical reason for that, or is it just some sort of inbred frothing at the mouth fanboy rage?

MS make a lot of great products, sorry if that offends you, but it's true. Apple need MS as without Office the Mac wouldn't last long. MS do not need Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 116
    nizynizy Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shoorty0690 View Post

All I know is Bing is very efficient. Even Bing Maps destroys Google Maps. Better sky views, better directions and points of interest. Google always gets me lost. Bing gets me there. Sign me up for Bing, regardless if it's Microsoft.

Just last week I was going to visit a friend at their new home and got the directions from google. It told me some great stuff like "connect with the M25", ignoring the fact that the M25 is essentially a circle and you can connect in either direction. Then a little later it says after getting onto the A3 to "take the exit" - well what exit would that be? Turns out it was the 3rd exit. Ridiculous. I searched the same route on bing later and its much clearer.

Bing Maps have some nice features that google don't - like the aerial view (isometric style) and Ordnance Survey data. It was built on multimap.com (which MS bought) and that service was around way before google maps.

Either way its all irrelevant in the end. The future of maps is 3d, like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...iled-ever.html
  • Reply 33 of 116
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

MS make a lot of great products, sorry if that offends you, but it's true. Apple need MS as without Office the Mac wouldn't last long. MS do not need Apple.

I think MS makes a lot of crap. I use their products because I have to, and every day I curse MS for their inability to make a decent product. Windows is crap. IE is crap. Office is crap - they did better with Word on DOS. That ribbon is the stupidest thing I've ever seen, and it's not intuitive at all. They write user interface guidelines then break them - that is the sign of a company that knows not how to write a programme that will be easy for people to use.

Apple do *not* need Microsoft. Office on the Mac has sucked big time and iWork (which works a treat) is what many use, and now that the Mac and Apple products are becoming more and more popular they decide to develop another version to get some revenue. A desperate act from a dying giant.

Microsoft needs Apple more than Apple needs Microsoft. People do not buy Macs because of the one or two Microsoft products which are available (and outdated) on the Mac. Look at how well the iPhone and iPad are doing without any MS crap available on them. The world can do without MS's crap products and Apple is proving that every single day.
  • Reply 34 of 116
    Bing maps is good. Bird's Eye view is great. But it still can't beat Google Streetview. Especially, now that Streetview is being rolled into Navigation on mobiles.

I also find that Google Maps is far more superior when you are searching for more than directions. Bing needs lotsa work on that front.
  • Reply 35 of 116
    When it comes to PlaceBase it seems to me like Apple bought them to better iAds rather than build a competing maps platform.
  • Reply 36 of 116
    stashmanstashman Posts: 90member
    This would be fine if Bing was any good, but it's not. Bing is just so crap it has no place on the iPhone, iPad or the Mac.
  • Reply 37 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Good point..

Well, Apple should start somewhere, the company can't just sit and stay idle while Google's services are dominating apps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch (aka. iDevices). So to begin with iDevices users would be suffice enough to start with..

Apple already has good market share with those iDevices anyway.

Colour me skeptical. Apple's still not the most dominant smartphone manufacturer out there. RIM is. And stuff like Maps is still far more driven by desktop use than mobile use. It would seem a futile waste to compete with Google on this front when they're already others map makers out there. Good luck to Jobs if he wants to try.

Quote:

PS. shouldn't you just say like this: "Even if every Mac and iDevice use Apple search, it still can't compare to Google's search power."?

Is it just search though? How many iPhone owners use GMail? How many use YouTube? How many would use Google Voice and Navigation if those were made available through native apps?

Quote:

Plus, I don't really get what you're saying with: "arising from its popularity." Can you please elaborate on that last sentence?

Google's power comes from the fact that people use their stuff which keeps it continually getting better. It's a virtuous cycle for them and a significant barrier for competitors. You want to beat Google? iDevice owners aren't enough. You have to convince regular desktop users of their services to stop supporting them and that's tough.
  • Reply 38 of 116
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Google maps has some nice features but as for actual directions, mapquest, bing, and my garmin all do better and get me lost less. Furtermore, google's software and support sucks. I have used just about everything they put out there and except for a few, their half-baked efforts leave me scratching my head. When things go drastically wrong-- as my blogger acct did-- you can forget about getting an answer, much less a fix. But of course, it's all free (privacy issues aside). I have a theory that google is an economic bubble all by itself. One day, people will realize alternatives exist and its revenue stream will go poof!
  • Reply 39 of 116
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Makes me sad. I love Google, they have the best search, email, maps. It's just lately they have become more and more evil toward apple. It was such a good partnership, I would hate to see Bing as the maps app or default search.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

I think MS makes a lot of crap. I use their products because I have to, and every day I curse MS for their inability to make a decent product. Windows is crap. IE is crap. Office is crap - they did better with Word on DOS. That ribbon is the stupidest thing I've ever seen, and it's not intuitive at all. They write user interface guidelines then break them - that is the sign of a company that knows not how to write a programme that will be easy for people to use.

Apple do *not* need Microsoft. Office on the Mac has sucked big time and iWork (which works a treat) is what many use, and now that the Mac and Apple products are becoming more and more popular they decide to develop another version to get some revenue. A desperate act from a dying giant.

Microsoft needs Apple more than Apple needs Microsoft. People do not buy Macs because of the one or two Microsoft products which are available (and outdated) on the Mac. Look at how well the iPhone and iPad are doing without any MS crap available on them. The world can do without MS's crap products and Apple is proving that every single day.

Oh come on, I can't believe you seriously believe all that.

Windows 7 is an outstanding operating system. Go and read the reviews, it's every bit the equal of Mac OS. It's just silliness to continue to bash Windows anymore.

IE isn't great, I'll give you that, but that's why we have Chrome. (by the way, Safari is also far from a good web browser experience)

While I don't use office applications much myself (I'm an artist, and so live in 3D Studio and Photoshop), I have used both Office and iWork and found iWork to be very feature light. It's basically wordpad with a few extras. It's not a proper pro level app.

What about other MS products? Xbox 360 is the best game system out there, Xbox Live is the best online gaming network, Bing is a very nice search engine, and Zune HD is a great little media player. And lets not forget Windows Phone which from all I've seen and read looks pretty nice.

Bashing Microsoft just for the sake of it is illogical and childish. Why not, you know, just look at what they do with eyes open instead of closed. Buy yourself a 360 and a copy of Red Dead Redemption or Alan Wake and enjoy yourself.