Czech report says iPhone 4G will sport dense, 960x640 IPS display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I can't believe the number of people in this thread who take the time to respond to the blather of trolls like kotatsu and Stevie.

Give up, folks. These guys thrive on pulling your chains.

Your definition of a troll must be someone who hasn't drunk the Apple fanboy juice I assume?

Look, I've spent a lot of money with Apple over the years and I have a house with a lot of Apple kit in it. But I'm not a blinkered fanboy. I also own a PC, an Xbox, a PS3, a PSP, a DS, think blu-ray is a great format, am impressed by the OLED screen in the Nexus One and Android, and am a fan of open source and free marketplaces.

When Apple do something great I'll applaud them, but they just haven't done anything great since the iPhone 3G. 3GS was lazy, the current iMac are an overpriced joke (no BD drive, no USB 3, no eSATA, seriously?!), the iPad is spectacularly lazy, and I hate the way Jobs runs the app store and treats developers like trash.

So I'm not a fanboy or a troll, just someone who wishes Apple were better than they are.

Oh and iTunes is without a doubt my most hated application of all time. It boggles the mind how Apple could release something so astonishingly poor.
  • Reply 62 of 107
    kilimanjarokilimanjaro Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

When Apple do something great I'll applaud them, but they just haven't done anything great since the iPhone 3G. 3GS was lazy, the current iMac are an overpriced joke (no BD drive, no USB 3, no eSATA, seriously?!), the iPad is spectacularly lazy, and I hate the way Jobs runs the app store and treats developers like trash.

So I'm not a fanboy or a troll, just someone who wishes Apple were better than they are.

Oh and iTunes is without a doubt my most hated application of all time. It boggles the mind how Apple could release something so astonishingly poor.

But you haven't fully address your comment about the OLED display yet, and now you're making it worse (for yourself to be attacked by Apple fans, this is an Apple-centric forum after all) by dishing on other Apple's products..

I'm interested to know why though..

Why are you calling iPhone 3GS and iPad lazy? What do you mean by lazy?

Why do you hate iTunes the most?

It's astonishing, especially for me, because many Apple competitors out there are trying to catch up with what Apple has now on its products. Every mobile manufacturers are still trying to build what they call as "iPhone-killer", but still no avail. Not to mention now, everyone in the industry is trying to build a tablet, after the iPad seen as and proven to be a successful product. Apple did it first, and the rest are trying to catch up..

To me, the others are lazy while Apple has done the most work..

For iMac, well.. can't argue that it is expensive.

While for iTunes, well.. it has became the most used music player in the market up to today, and surely it happened for a good reason: because everyone like using it. And the most important question is: do you also still use iTunes now? \
  • Reply 63 of 107
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

HP sells a notebook with an IPS display

My 2.5 years old Sony Vaio has 90% NTSC color gamut and deep blacks. My two weeks old MacBook Pro has 73% NTSC color gamut and black looks gray. The TN panel in MBP is totally horrible.

And I can't read the display of my iPhone 3GS in bright sunlight.
  • Reply 64 of 107
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

My 2.5 years old Sony Vaio has 90% NTSC color gamut and deep blacks. My two weeks old MacBook Pro has 73% NTSC color gamut and black looks gray. The TN panel in MBP is totally horrible.

And I can't read the display of my iPhone 3GS in bright sunlight.

I've gone from Dell Inspiron to Macbook White to MBP (hoipefully arriving tmrw).

The Dell had an IPS 15.4 inch screen. That was six years ago. The Macbook screen was ghastly off axis, to the extent the top and the bottom of screen were different. This, even after the screen was replacement toward the end of the three year warranty period. Hopefully the MBP will be better.

Seeing the iphone and 4x resolution will be interesting. My friend's contract is due in a couple of month and he's getting one. I didn't drink the kool aid till september last year on iphone so it's 3GS for at least another 12 months for me.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I can't believe the number of people in this thread who take the time to respond to the blather of trolls like kotatsu and Stevie.

Give up, folks. These guys thrive on pulling your chains.

I just got a warning from the Mods and a penalty point just for replying to a troll once - In fact I didn't I referenced one to another poster that's all. Maybe the Mods should add a Troll Icon to their posts so innocent posters know not to reply.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Me too. That's what (in OSX) Command-Option-Control-8 is for!

Thanks for that! I've been using OS X since day 1, and never new that...

Got any other hidden jewels, or a link to where I can find them?

You made my day!

• Reply 67 of 107
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

My 2.5 years old Sony Vaio has 90% NTSC color gamut and deep blacks. My two weeks old MacBook Pro has 73% NTSC color gamut and black looks gray. The TN panel in MBP is totally horrible..

Let's see. Virtually every published review of the MBPs raves about how great the screens are.

An anonymous poster on AI (who may or may not actually have an MBP) says it's terrible.

Who to believe?
  • Reply 68 of 107
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    The 4g is shaping up to be the leap forward people expected last year. I think the best on the market right now is 800x480. This will be crisp as a tac!
  • Reply 69 of 107
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. Virtually every published review of the MBPs raves about how great the screens are.

An anonymous poster on AI (who may or may not actually have an MBP) says it's terrible.

Who to believe?

http://www.displayblog.com/2009/01/0...7-macbook-pro/

Contrast ratio of 700:1 is excellent and is much better than the typical 500:1 that you see. 60% greater color gamut amounts to 72% NTSC since average notebook PC LCDs sport a 45% NTSC color gamut. A 72% NTSC color gamut is what you see in typical LCD monitors and LCD TVs. I’m sure the 17″ MBP will look fantastic compared to other notebook PCs.

This is the kind of crap that needs to go. If he had 1000 posts, would you have not been such a jerk about it?

duhhh hmmm, who to believe. Not like I could google it for 5 seconds....
  • Reply 70 of 107
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"Waah! LCD came out in the 1970s. I can't believe Apple is using a technology from the 1970s. They always screw their customers with this crappy outdated tech.

So what does that say about us human losers using four round things to drive our cars around on after tens of thousands of years?
  • Reply 71 of 107
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

ACTUAL tests and reviews show that the LCD screen is BETTER.

http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_iPhone_ShootOut.htm

Many of the OLED's shortcomings were software-related, though. I'd be interested in seeing that test redone with 2.2 on the same device vs. the next gen iPhone.
  • Reply 72 of 107
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Look past his douchebaggery, and he's right about one thing: the Sony Vaio does have a significantly broader color gamut than the MBP.

This doesn't make the MBP screen "horrible" by any stretch of the imagination, of course. It just makes them worse than the Vaio's.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    I am aware that this is off topic, but here's a great article I just came across:

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...ver/1274899297
  • Reply 74 of 107
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If this rumoured resolution is true, it will be payback time

Wow. Just...Wow.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Me too. That's what (in OSX) Command-Option-Control-8 is for!

You've made my day ... been on this mac for over 3 years and never knew of this "trick" (I'm not "newbee" for nothing) ... cool! ..... Thanks ....
  • Reply 76 of 107
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

AMOLED is a newer technology than the LCD, but that doesn't necessary mean it's better than the old technologies.

..thank you very much..

Seemingly, like everything else, it is better in some ways and less good in others. All this CE stuff is trade-offs.
  • Reply 77 of 107
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Czech site reported on a screen component it says will be used on the new iPhone, detailing its specifications under a microscope. It compared the high resolution new iPhone panel and its "amazing" 320 pixel per inch display against the existing HTC HD2 (217 ppi), the Verizon/Motorola Droid (265 ppi) and Google's Nexus One (252 pip).

At a reported 960 x 640 resolution, the new display will make it easy for the new model to render existing iPhone apps via pixel doubling, while also giving Apple bragging rights to the highest pixel density on a mainstream smartphone screen.

Oh, a microscope. That''s indeed very important. Not having known that, I was pretty sure regular blogger could not tell 960x640 from 1024x768; and the latter is a lot easier to produce.
  • Reply 78 of 107
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member
    Does this mean iPhone and iPad can now run the same "HD" apps? This will be great so I don't have to buy 2 copies of the same app, one for the iPhone and the HD version for the iPad.
  • Reply 79 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Does this mean iPhone and iPad can now run the same "HD" apps? This will be great so I don't have to buy 2 copies of the same app, one for the iPhone and the HD version for the iPad.

A higher resolution display on the iPhone will not assist in using the "same" app. They still have very different size displays and aspect ratios. Think about it, elements designed for your finger on the iPad would be very tiny on the iPhone.

However, Apple did build their SDK to allow devs to build Universal apps that are one app that will work ideally on both the iPhone/Touch and iPad.
  • Reply 80 of 107
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A higher resolution display on the iPhone will not assist in using the "same" app. They still have very different size displays and aspect ratios. Think about it, elements designed for your finger on the iPad would be very tiny on the iPhone.

However, Apple did build their SDK to allow devs to build Universal apps that are one app that will work ideally on both the iPhone/Touch and iPad.

It's more than just display size and aspect ratio!

Some have said that: "the iPad is just a big iPod Touch." But it's not as, others have said: "that's like saying a swimming pool is just a big bathtub."

The additional real estate opens all kinds of possibilities.

Consider:

-- in a bathtub your toys are pretty much limited to a rubber ducky, in the pool you can choose among inner tubes, lounge/drink carriers, water volley ball sets, slides, etc.

-- in the pool you can have lots of participants. doing various thiings... the tub is more limited to how many and what they can do

-- laps are a lot easier in the bathtub.

-- in the pool you can, likely, get away with wizzin' in the water... the bathtub, not so much.

Seriously, some apps can benefit from the additional real-estate:

-- games can have additional controls

-- drill-down apps can show several levels of data concurrently, instead of just 1

-- productivity apps can display (normally on) tool bars rather than popups

You really need to re-think an iphone app before porting it to an iPad (and soon, a 4G iPhone).

Fortunately, as Sol. points out, the iPhone SDK, has provisions for "Universal" apps: where the same core application code can exploit the different displays in a straight-forward and consistent way. This tends to isolate the differences in UI and navigation/application flow, while preserving the structure of the application.