Wwdc 2010

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Elsewhere on AI, I was surprised to see Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray saying that Apple had little scope to 'wow' people at the forthcoming WWDC. Actually, I shouldn't be surprised at all, because this may be no more than a cheap trick to drive down the stock price so the aforementioned analyst can get his clients to buy it more cheaply. Who knows? But is there a grain of truth in this expected failure to wow?

In a word, no. So what might Apple offer? Here are a few thoughts:
  • First glimpse of OSX 10.7 (Possible names include Lion, Puma, Lynx, Bobcat, Ocelot, Serval, Clouded Leopard, Black Panther, and Cheetah)

• First glimpse of Safari 5 with full HTML 5 support

• Apples first boolean search engine (fighting fire with fire, eh Google)

• More substance on iPhone OS4

• Overhaul of iTunes (I'd like to see content stores divided into music, movies, books and apps)

We could also see a roadmap that outlines how the iPhone OS and Mac OS will converge so that future iPads could become standalone computers.

The iPhone 4 ( iPhone HD?) will almost certainly appear

I have this nagging suspicion that the 'just one more thing' item will be a redesigned MacBook Air (although part of me wonders if this hasn't already been released and called the iPad.

I think that's plenty to going on with.

Of all these things, the Mac OS seems fairly important to me. I just hope that any changes Apple makes will offer genuine advances.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I do not think there will be any mention of Mac OS X 10.7 until next year; however, I do see Mac OS X 10.7 and iPhone OS 5.0 having tight cohesion.

iTunes will not get an overhaul until Mac OS X 10.7 comes out and Apple drops support for PowerPC and/or they get their data-center up and running.

Safari 5, using WebKit2, is a definite possibility, and will most likely be Intel-only. I would also expect Apple to drop support for Windows XP.

The MacBook Air is in need of some love, but it will get the same treatment as the MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro, which is the treatment the Mac mini will get.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

[...] The MacBook Air is in need of some love, but it will get the same treatment as the MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro, which is the treatment the Mac mini will get.

Which is?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Which is?

No Core i-series CPUs, just Core 2 Duo again with better GPUs.

Intel HD graphics don't support OpenCL so Apple can't use them as the sole GPU in any Apple computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts

iTunes will not get an overhaul until Mac OS X 10.7 comes out and Apple drops support for PowerPC and/or they get their data-center up and running.

Safari 5, using WebKit2, is a definite possibility, and will most likely be Intel-only. I would also expect Apple to drop support for Windows XP.

I think the iTunes.com launch and webkit 2 would work well together but I don't see them dropping support for Windows. I think Apple should remove the iTunes store from the iTunes app altogether as it's not tabbed and is very slow.

It's odd that webkit views inside apps are so much slower than the browser. Steam is the same.

I've wanted process splitting in a browser for such a long time. No more beachballing when you open another tab on a site that has video or Flash loading and any crash or hang can just take down one tab.

The itunes changes might not come until a media event later on along with the ATV though. WWDC would be more suited to iPhone OS 4 as well as the Mac Pro introduction.

The Mac Pro will be 12-core with 24 threads. I just wish they'd make it lighter/smaller. Like the following: