Smokescreen ? open source project that brings Flash to iPhone/iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Smokescreen is an open source project (in preview stage) that aims at converting Flash to Javascipt/HTML5.

The results seem interesting. Still in early stages, though.

And... Oh, the irony —

Remember Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen's comments regarding Steve Jobs' open letter on Flash?http://www.the-constant.com/2010/05/...with-no-flash/

Glad to see all this discussion around Flash is resulting in research and innovation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el-extranjero View Post

Glad to see all this discussion around Flash is resulting in research and innovation.

In a way but it's only really able to convert content nobody wants. People want Flash for the embedded video and games, not the adverts. This will drain battery life with none of the benefits.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

In a way but it's only really able to convert content nobody wants. People want Flash for the embedded video and games, not the adverts. This will drain battery life with none of the benefits.

Yep, that's the not-so-nice part of it.

I am of the opinion that using Flash video is a waste of resources — for that there's... well, video.

For the games I can understand, but I think iPhone OS games are much more rich than Flash games, and again, as you say, a less strain on the device battery/processor.

I am also of the opinion that Adobe should invest differently in HTML5/Javascipt — I think there's potential there.

Still... research is a good thing.