Apple iPhone Web marketshare outgrows Google Android in May

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Despite a larger variety of devices running the Google Android operating system available on the market, Apple's iPhone operating system still outgained its rival in terms of Web presence in the month of May.

New statistics released this week by Net Applications show that Apple increased its mobile browser share from 30.3 percent a month prior to 32.8 percent in May. During the same time, Android also grew, but by a smaller amount -- from 5.3 percent to 6.2 percent.

"Google's operating system, Android is rapidly gaining usage share. However, the iPhone still maintains a large lead," the report said.

The top platform remains Java Micro Edition, which is found in use on a variety of older smartphones. However, it is rapidly losing share to both the iPhone and Android.

Apple's next closest competitor is Symbian, which had a 13.98 percent share in May. During the same period, BlackBerry accounted for 3.59 percent of mobile Web browsing, while Windows Mobile took 2.97 percent. While many competitors have remained static or shrunk, monthly tracking data from Net Applications has shown steady growth for the iPhone over some time.

The firm also tracked a spike in iPad usage over the weekend, after the device launched internationally in nine new countries. Last Friday, Apple's new multitouch device went on sale in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Net Applications found that iPad usage jumped from an 0.08 percent total Web presence on May 27 to 0.12 percent on Friday, May 28. The numbers crept higher over the weekend, with the iPad representing 0.17 percent on Saturday, May 29, and dipping slightly to 0.16 percent on Sunday.

Saturday's total of 0.17 percent represented the highest single day of Web use of the iPad yet, according to Net Applications. The company began tracking the online presence of its device soon after it launched, and found that it quickly began to rival the Android and BlackBerry mobile platforms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I didn't know Java Micro edition was a browser. I learned something new today.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    good news
  • Reply 3 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This even with new iPhone about to come out is pretty impressive.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

New statistics released this week by Net Applications show that Apple increased its mobile browser share from 30.3 percent a month prior to 32.8 percent in May. During the same time, Android also grew, but by a smaller amount -- from 5.3 percent to 6.2 percent.

Android grew by 16.9% and iPhone by 8.25%, so Android is growing faster. If you're going to base stories on statistics, you need to understand them in the first place.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Android grew by 16.9% and iPhone by 8.25%, so Android is growing faster. If you're going to base stories on statistics, you need to understand them in the first place.

Depends on how you look at them. The article showed absolute figures, so in absolute, Android grew less than iPhone, relative to themselves, as you pointed out, Android was faster.

It's funny to see that you can put nearly anything into a statistic, you just have to chose your angle from which you see them.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

As stated ad nasueum every fraking time there is a mention of percentages it's relative to the subject. In this case they are comparing growth of the entire mobile web browser market (which makes sense), not measuring the isolated and irrelevant percentages of Android x to Android y, and iPhone x to iPhone y.

Read what you quoted. It's 2.5% increase v. 0.8% increase, so the iPhone is growing faster.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I didn't know Java Micro edition was a browser. I learned something new today.

The story is about platform share. Not browser share.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Anyway you look at it Apple is riding a wave!
  • Reply 9 of 60
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    But the iPhone doesn't have Flash and everyone want Flash!!

Sorry.. couldn't resist.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite a larger variety of devices running the Google Android operating system available on the market, Apple's iPhone operating system still outgained its rival in terms of Web presence in the month of May. ...

Reading this on an iPad right now in a coffee shop ...

I'm sure the iPad has just added to these statistics.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:

I've always thought the measures relative to themselves are rather pointless from a competitor's point of view when it is the piece of the pie that is important. If my goal was to grow the fastest, it would be relatively easy to keep a 200% growth rate going for about ten months if I started with one sold the first month. In total, I'd only have to sell about 30,000 units, but no other company is going to be worried about that device.

Now, from an investor's point of view, how fast the market is growing for a specific device relative to itself is vitally important as that is directly related to how much money the company is making. In my above example, I would love to invest in a company that had 200% growth, even if they only sold 30K units in a year.

Statistics don't lie, but a lot of the details often get left out that allows the writers a lot of latitude in how they explain them.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    willychuwillychu Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Yes, some understanding is needed. You must look at what percentage of the POTENTIAL market each OS was able to capture. For example something with 98% market share can at best only increase its share by 2 more points. If it increased its share by just 1 absolute point to 99%, it would have taken 50% of its potential market, which would be exceptional!

Likewise, with initially 30.3% of the market, iPhone's potential market is the other 69.7%. It decreased this by 2.5 absolute points, which is a 3.6% decrease is its potential market (2.5 / 69.7 x 100).

On the other hand, Android's initial share at 5.3% leaves 94.7% of the market available (long way to go, but large potential). This decreased by 0.9 absolute points, which represents just under a 1% decrease in its potential market.

I would say that iPhone is doing over 3.5 times better than Android at attacting new customers. How you like them apples?
  • Reply 13 of 60
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    This is not surprising because the people i know who have an iPhone and want to get on the web just do it right then and their. The people i know who have blackberry's and android's put their phones in their pockets and fire up their laptops, or walk into the other room where the desktop is located. It's all about user interface design and apple get's this. Android may get it with the next iteration. That is a wait and see thing.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willychu View Post

Yes, some understanding is needed. You must look at what percentage of the POTENTIAL market each OS was able to capture. For example something with 98% market share can at best only increase its share by 2 more points. If it increased its share by just 1 absolute point to 99%, it would have taken 50% of its potential market, which would be exceptional!

Likewise, with initially 30.3% of the market, iPhone's potential market is the other 69.7%. It decreased this by 2.5 absolute points, which is a 3.6% decrease is its potential market (2.5 / 69.7 x 100).

On the other hand, Android's initial share at 5.3% leaves 94.7% of the market available (long way to go, but large potential). This decreased by 0.9 absolute points, which represents just under a 1% decrease in its potential market.

I would say that iPhone is doing over 3.5 times better than Android at attacting new customers. How you like them apples?

Well said. Identifying the correct metrics for an analysis is extremely important.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

It's funny to see that you can put nearly anything into a statistic, you just have to chose your angle from which you see them.

Mark Twain once credited Benjamin Disraeli with saying,

"There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Edit: I think willychu is likely using the most sensible approach to understanding market growth.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As stated ad nasueum every fraking time there is a mention of percentages it's relative to the subject. In this case they are comparing growth of the entire mobile web browser market (which makes sense), not measuring the isolated and irrelevant percentages of Android x to Android y, and iPhone x to iPhone y.

Read what you quoted. It's 2.5% increase v. 0.8% increase, so the iPhone is growing faster.

I'm sorry, but that is simply not how you measure or discuss percentages. You do not say a 1.5% increase to represent an increase from 5% to 6.5%... that is nonsense, not to mention meaningless.

In this article it's especially pertinent because the article implies Android is growing at a slower rate (although it's very careful to use the ambiguous words 'smaller amount').

I understand the whole point of this site is to put Apple in the best possible light, rather than report anything objectively, and that's fine. However, trying to convince me that this is how percentages work is a little insulting.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Agreed. Also, if you look at how long the iPhone has been on the market starting from the 1st generation iPhone in comparison with Android then there is reason to worry. Android is gaining momentum fast and it's just a matter of time before they outnumber the iPhone.

I hope Apple starts thinking seriously about

1) having Verizon as a carrier (or multiple carriers)

2) offering more models

As much as I like my iPhone, there is a lot to like in the new version of Android, Froyo.

Google took so many ideas from Apple, there is nothing wrong in Apple doing the same. There are some nice features on Android that I wanna see on my iPhone. Open up the SDK even more plz
  • Reply 18 of 60
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Reading this on an iPad right now in a coffee shop ...

Hopefully, we will now achieve world peace, now that the Canadians and Euros and Japanese are able to prance about with their iPads, like the Americans before them.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    edit: Replying to trolls does no one any good.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Hopefully, we will now achieve world peace, now that the Canadians and Euros and Japanese are able to prance about with their iPads, like the Americans before them.

I'm pretty sure World Peace isn't scheduled until the 3.0 iPad.

This one is a bit too heavy, and the bezels are a still bit too wide.