Citrix survey: 80% of its business users plan to buy Apple iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A survey conducted by Citrix of its existing customers indicates the overwhelming majority have plans to buy and support Apple's iPad as a business tool.

The company has reported preliminary results noting that, of the few hundred customers who have participated in its online survey:

80 percent will purchase and use iPad for business

84 percent will support the use of personal iPads in their organization, with half of those expecting the company to purchase the hardware for their employees

87 percent say the primary use for iPads will be productivity apps

90 percent will use it for business email, "closely followed by the ability to view, edit and create presentations."

60 percent say they will use iPad for online meetings and to access critical business information

90 percent said the largest benefit to iPad was "increased mobility to work remote, at home, or anywhere," while 74 percent answered "improved productivity and satisfaction."

In reporting the preliminary results of the survey, Citrix representative Chris Fleck wrote, "the high level of support for personal iPads seems to reinforce the notion that the iPad will be the door opener for BYOC at many companies."

Apple is already making significant progress with "Bring Your Own Computer" initiatives on the Mac, making it easy for enterprises to either officially support Apple's platform, as companies like IBM and Kraft have started doing, or a wholesale switch as Google is reportedly undertaking.

Citrix helping iPad make inroads into business

With iPad, Apple has an entirely new way to entice companies to move beyond the Microsoft Windows monoculture and begin using its products. Citrix provides a particularly "safe" step for iPad adoption, as it allows Windows administrators to make users' existing apps, data and virtual desktops available on other platforms while retaining control over centralized security.

The very low price point Apple delivered for iPad, along with its low, contract-free 3G mobile option, also makes the device very attractive to businesses that would otherwise need to support full sized laptops or have to consider very limited handheld PDAs; expensive, heavy and poorly constructed Tablet PCs; or attempt to support alternative tablets that are primarily web-based.

Recent comments by an AT&T executive indicate that its customers, and even its internal operations managers, are seeing applications for iPad to replace employee-assigned notebooks. Other new applications are also emerging for Apple's handheld tablet using custom apps, including on the spot lease returns and credit applications performed by Mercedes-Benz dealerships.

Citrix's remote desktop technology

Citrix originally got started in the early 90s selling a Unix-like, remote multiuser environment for OS/2. It then created a similar product for Windows NT 3.51 called WinView, which allowed DOS and Windows applications to be used remotely on any platform, making up for NT's lack of multiuser capabilities.

Microsoft refused to provide Citrix the access it needed to create a similar product for Windows NT 4, and instead forced Citrix to license its technology to it so that Microsoft could deliver its own remote multiuser product called Terminal Server (later renamed Remote Desktop). Citrix was contractually prevented from competing against Microsoft's bundled product, but was allowed to sell an add-on package.

Citrix's thin client technology is similar to the Unix X Window X11 protocol in that it delivers an entire remote desktop environment (actually executing on a centralized, remote server). VNC (used by Apple Remote Desktop and iChat Screen Sharing) is somewhat similar, but only delivers a graphical representation of the full screen of a remote system rather than high level information about actual windows, making it less efficient on slower networks.

Citrix provides a viewer client app for a variety of platforms including Mac OS X and the iPhone OS. Using the free Citrix Receiver app, users on the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad can login and access their existing apps, data and virtual desktops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    jbro1999jbro1999 Posts: 38member
    This is exactly why I want one.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    And in the reverse, the iPad makes me seriously consider implementing a Citrix system for some of our business functions. One of these days, people are going to catch on about how really big the iPad is...
  • Reply 3 of 53
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Hmmm, looks like citrix will be getting more revenue courtesy of Apple. Naturally, haters of all things apple will see this as Apple exercising its monopolistic powers.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Apple essentially (accidentally) created the best thin client ever. Not fixed to a desk, easy maintenance, long battery life, keyboard option, and access anywhere with 3G.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Hmmm, looks like citrix will be getting more revenue courtesy of Apple. Naturally, haters of all things apple will see this as Apple exercising its monopolistic powers.

When in reality the thin client market isn't the least bit innovative or competitive so Apple can take it without trying or even targeting it.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Apple essentially (accidentally) created the best thin client ever. Not fixed to a desk, easy maintenance, long battery life, keyboard option, and access anywhere with 3G.

A rather expensive thin client. $629 for a base model 3G version. A Linux thin client costs $199 at most. It's not mobile, but that isn't relevant for our company.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    jlbrown23jlbrown23 Posts: 10member
    I was on a business trip a few weeks back & while in flight I sent an email with my work Outlook account telling my colleagues my flight had been delayed & I would be a couple hours late. Done all with my iPad & Citrix. I can basically pull up 90+% of my work data from my iPad on my iPad anywhere there is cell phone reception. Citrix & Apple have both done an awesome job on this one.

I do also love that Citirx was ready with the iPad version of their app on day 1, and that it used the extra screen real estate wisely. Someone could learn a lot from this (cough, Apple, cough, MobileMe apps).

Btw, this also lets you run flash on your iPad...
  • Reply 8 of 53
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    ........byoc
  • Reply 9 of 53
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

A rather expensive thin client. $629 for a base model 3G version. A Linux thin client costs $199 at most. It's not mobile, but that isn't relevant for our company.

I would suggest your company doesn't buy one then.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    jlbrown23jlbrown23 Posts: 10member
    Quote:

But the thing is that is not the only thing it does. While on the same flight I mention in my other post(used citrix for work email, data), I surfed the web, played games, listened to some music, and watched some TV. And then when I landed and needed GPS for directions to my hotel, I had that too. Perhaps not business critical functions, but traveling is a lot of boredom(not to mention a great deal of uncompensated time) & it is nice to have a little distraction.

And I would ask how, for many businesses, mobility would not be critical? Are there really a lot of folks using citrix for hardwired desktops in the office? How much would you pay for a mobile device with 3G?
  • Reply 11 of 53
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlbrown23 View Post

Btw, this also lets you run flash on your iPad...

You mean it lets you view Flash on your iPad in the same way you can "run" Windows on your iPad.

You need to be connected to a computer doing all the actual processing.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

What makes you think it was an accident?
  • Reply 13 of 53
    jamesmanjamesman Posts: 9member
    This precisely the reason why I believe that nearly all estimates that have anything less than 10 million iPads to be sold in the current calendar year are low-balling. This is a powerful work tool and with more specific business apps to come the value of this tool will only increase.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    daving313daving313 Posts: 97member
    But I still can't create a meeting invite on the iPad OS? Isn't it 2010?
  • Reply 15 of 53
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

80 percent will purchase and use iPad for business

87 percent say the primary use for iPads will be productivity apps

90 percent will use it for business email, "closely followed by the ability to view, edit and create presentations."

60 percent say they will use iPad for online meetings and to access critical business information

90 percent said the largest benefit to iPad was "increased mobility to work remote, at home, or anywhere," while 74 percent answered "improved productivity and satisfaction."

After visiting Best Buy the past several weeks and trying out the iPad and talking to the BB rep who informed me that Tuesday seemed to be the day the iPad stock, limited as it were, arrives. I checked my local BB at 1:00 pm today, Tuesday June 1st, and by 1:30 pm am proud to say, that I too can be added to the percentages above regarding iPad because I am now apart of the iPad generation with my 64GB 3G iPad.

Glad I didn't place an order with the Apple store as I have read others had done and are still waiting. My iPad quest was quick, easy and painless.

So if you are interested in an Apple iPad at Best Buy check online at BB.com Tuesday mornings and good luck!
  • Reply 16 of 53
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

You're in the other 20%. That's OK..... don't feel bad.....
  • Reply 17 of 53
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I am no longer in business, but I traveled a lot while with IBM. After leaving IBM, I traveled less, but was more involved with leading edge technology.

Nothing like the iPad (or thin clients and remote desktops) existed back then. But I called on quite a few Fortune 500 companies... including Kraftco.

So, I think I have some understanding of the way large, leading edge, businesses work, and what's importune to themt.

With no knowledge of Citrix or its clients, I get the distinct impression that these are the movers and shakers of applying technology to the goals of business!

Am I wrong?

If correct, then the following statistic, alone, is a really, really big deal!

• 80 percent will purchase and use iPad for business

What also caught my eye in the Citrix article was (emphasis mine):

Quote:

The fact that IT can safely provide access to company apps, data and virtual desktops without managing the device will make the iPad a game changer for business beyond just the form factor and features. This device will provide the leading example of how IT can keep control of the data, apps and compliance yet enable their users to maximize their choice and productivity from anywhere.

Perhaps another reason for the IT support is the fact that so many IT pros plan to use the iPad to be more productive themselves. (This is based on another Citrix survey showing that iPad use by Mobile IT pros as one of the top business uses of the iPad.)

This is Major!!

Credit, where credit is due-- The author of the AI article did link to the Citrix article:

http://community.citrix.com/pages/vi...geId=141690231

But. then, he kind of wandered off to tout Apple and bash Microsoft... normal, anticipated behavior!

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this as an AAPL shareholder and an iPhone/iPad developer.

• Reply 18 of 53
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

After visiting Best Buy the past several weeks and trying out the iPad and talking to the BB rep who informed me that Tuesday seemed to be the day the iPad stock, limited as it were, arrives. I checked my local BB at 1:00 pm today, Tuesday June 1st, and by 1:30 pm am proud to say, that I too can be added to the percentages above regarding iPad because I am now apart of the iPad generation with my 64GB 3G iPad.

Glad I didn't place an order with the Apple store as I have read others had done and are still waiting. My iPad quest was quick, easy and painless.

So if you are interested in an Apple iPad at Best Buy check online at BB.com Tuesday mornings and good luck!

Hey, hey... welcome to the clique!

• Reply 19 of 53
    Sorry, this sounds like wishful thinking on the part of employees, not employers. Who wouldn't want their company to buy them an iPad? But, please complete the follow dialogue:

Employee: Boss. I'd like to have you authorize this $730 purchase of an iPad 32GB 3G.

Employer: Gee, in the past 18 months, I've authorized a $2,000 MacBook Pro and a $300 iPhone 3GS. What will you be able to do with the iPad that you can't do now? How will this make you more productive than you are now? Will you return your MacBook and/or iPhone so another employee can use them?

Employee: ?????
  • Reply 20 of 53
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Will you people quit calling the iPad expensive and trying to compare apples to oranges? This "argument" is so glaringly illogical it qualifies only as noise.