Citrix survey: 80% of its business users plan to buy Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

And in the reverse, the iPad makes me seriously consider implementing a Citrix system for some of our business functions. One of these days, people are going to catch on about how really big the iPad is...

Hmmm... your post got me thinking...

If a Citrix solution is what I think it is, and Enterprises/IT will use the way I think it will...

Than the iPad is a full-function business client... but, with one advantage over all competitive platforms...

As a business client, the iPad is expendable... Because of what it doesn't have: no hard drive containing critical enterprise data. Sure, you can remote lock/wipe & maybe LoJack the iPad. But more than anything, the iPad is inexpensive enough to simply replace it.

• Reply 22 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterRRRRRR View Post

Sorry, this sounds like wishful thinking on the part of employees, not employers. Who wouldn't want their company to buy them an iPad? But, please complete the follow dialogue:

Employee: Boss. I'd like to have you authorize this $730 purchase of an iPad 32GB 3G.

Employer: Gee, in the past 18 months, I've authorized a $2,000 MacBook Pro and a $300 iPhone 3GS. What will you be able to do with the iPad that you can't do now? How will this make you more productive than you are now? Will you return your MacBook and/or iPhone so another employee can use them?

Employee: ?????

That's very short term thinking.

More likely, it will be a transition that occurs over time. Instead of buying a $2 K laptop (yes, I know that there are crapware laptops for less, but quality costs - no matter which platform you're using), people will end up with a desktop and an iPad to log in.

No more messing with synchronizing files. No more messing with the limitations of laptops (the iPad will have access to the main desktop computer's full resources). And most importantly, data remains INSIDE THE COMPANY. If an iPad is lost or stolen, it's a $500-900 expense. Not something that you want to have happen every day, but certainly not the problem of having a laptop with years' worth of company data. Not only do you have to worry about the laptop falling into the wrong hands, but you also have to recreate that data (many employees with laptops do not back up regularly).

It will take some getting used to, but it has some immense advantages FOR SOME COMPANIES. Yes, I'm sure the trolls will claim that since one particular company can't do this that the entire concept is no good, but for many companies, it will work well. I personally plan to stop carrying my laptop on most of my business trips and almost all of my vacations, using Logmein to access my data and files when I need them.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    vital0gyvital0gy Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Will you people quit calling the iPad expensive and trying to compare apples to oranges? This "argument" is so glaringly illogical it qualifies only as noise.

YOU are the one being illogical!!! Do you even work in a fiscally sound organization? The type of company that expects an ROI of 2-3 years on spend? I guess this is a backward concept to most on here. All of our floor support management staff uses Citrix thin clients, and it works well for the tasks that they need to perform throughout the day...namely entering/viewing production data and writing small project papers using Office products.

We currently spend around $200/thin client. LOGICALLY, I would have to present a case study with full ROI to increase our spend per unit by $400-$600. What would be my case? That somehow we will see a productivity lift now that my supervisors could listen to music and play games while they roamed the production floor?

This is what I despise from the all Apple, all the time folks. You seem to deal with abstract ideas instead of business realities. If we were talking about graphic design shops, then I can see the logic in switching to Ipads. But really....I don't see the need for increased costs in a manufacturing/distribution environment while there is a recession going on. That doesn't make my company idiots for being fiscally prudent.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Narcoma;

........byoc

Are you just trying to increase your post count? All your posts are one liners in three words or less or just a smilie! Stop focusing on post counts and contribute your thoughts.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

More likely, it will be a transition that occurs over time. Instead of buying a $2 K laptop (yes, I know that there are crapware laptops for less, but quality costs - no matter which platform you're using), people will end up with a desktop and an iPad to log in.

No more messing with synchronizing files. No more messing with the limitations of laptops (the iPad will have access to the main desktop computer's full resources). And most importantly, data remains INSIDE THE COMPANY. If an iPad is lost or stolen, it's a $500-900 expense. Not something that you want to have happen every day, but certainly not the problem of having a laptop with years' worth of company data. Not only do you have to worry about the laptop falling into the wrong hands, but you also have to recreate that data (many employees with laptops do not back up regularly).

It will take some getting used to, but it has some immense advantages FOR SOME COMPANIES. Yes, I'm sure the trolls will claim that since one particular company can't do this that the entire concept is no good, but for many companies, it will work well. I personally plan to stop carrying my laptop on most of my business trips and almost all of my vacations, using Logmein to access my data and files when I need them.

The very short term thinking is coming from those who think that this is somehow going to make companies start throwing out PCs and installing more Macs. In case the articles or the screenshots weren't clear, this Citrix solution is just another way of accessing Windows applications on Macs.

In the short term, this might look like companies are supporting Macs. But in the long term, if Macs are just going to be used for running Windows applications, what incentive would there be for software developers and IT departments to create native Mac applications? Why not just tell Mac users to run Boot Camp, VMWare, Citrix, etc? In fact what reason would there be for companies to buy Macs at all, if they will just be used to run Windows programs?
  • Reply 26 of 53
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

A rather expensive thin client. $629 for a base model 3G version. A Linux thin client costs $199 at most. It's not mobile, but that isn't relevant for our company.

Can't go wrong with this: http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/N...x-thin-client/

Only $85. Your company should save a bundle. Your company's CEO should be able to buy himself a Bugatti Veyron with the savings. It's very likely he's buying an iPad or three for his own family.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterRRRRRR View Post

Sorry, this sounds like wishful thinking on the part of employees, not employers. Who wouldn't want their company to buy them an iPad? But, please complete the follow dialogue:

Employee: Boss. I'd like to have you authorize this $730 purchase of an iPad 32GB 3G.

Employer: Gee, in the past 18 months, I've authorized a $2,000 MacBook Pro and a $300 iPhone 3GS. What will you be able to do with the iPad that you can't do now? How will this make you more productive than you are now? Will you return your MacBook and/or iPhone so another employee can use them?

Employee: ?????

Gee Boss, I'm a member of the NRA. I have a handgun in my nightstand by my bed for home protection. I have a rifle for high powered accurate shooting when hunting. It wouldn't proclude me from getting a 12 gauge shotgun. There is purpose for that too! And if I can get the company to pay for all three, SWEET!

In all seriousness, there is a railroad corporation in my hometown that has their own hangar at the city airport that houses a few G5's and Cessna Citations. When the top executives go out, they go to the same place individually in the variety of jets. Should one jet go down, the company's top brass would not be a total loss and the company, while sadden, can still operate with head executives that are in the loop of business operations. Is owning multiple jets productive? Depends on who you are and how you are looking at it! The company CEO would say 'yes', the company employee just laid off during a bad economy would snarl at such an executive "perk" and say 'no'!
  • Reply 28 of 53
    madcow42madcow42 Posts: 9member
    I just spent a week with mine at a trade show, and LOVED using it for business there.

1) doing PowerPoint (Keynote) presentations to customers on the booth floor, or at the bar, on demand was great. Importing standard PowerPoints was a breeze (but the organization of stored files was a pain)

2) using our "cost of use" spreadsheets was fairly easy, although Excel drop-downs dont work in Numbers (yet?).

3) I could "tweet" and do social media live from the floor in my spare minutes (I'm in Marketing, and we have an active social media program)

4) I could bring up PDF's of our brochures and other documentation, and they looked stunning. The biggest gripe I had is there's no easy way to file PDF's on the device itself, except in your email inbox (as an attachment to an incoming email).

I wish my office used a mail system that was compatible with the iPad, but we're stuck on Lotus Notes. So, although I could do personal email, it wasn't useful for business.

Normally at a trade show I haul my laptop bag, power adapters, and 20lbs of other stuff back and forth to the show every day, just in case... but through the whole show I ONLY brought my iPad to the booth. It was liberating. Even at the hotel I only booted my laptop once the full week for email - and did everything else on my blackberry. If we were on Outlook, I'm sure I could have done even that through the iPad.

I bought an "M-Edge" case, which looks like a normal business notebook (leather). It's AWESOME for business use.

MadCow.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    I'm getting the feeling that no matter how much time passes or no matter what else comes along, Windows will never go away. It's been ingrained into humanity for such a long time, no one seems to envision a world where Windows doesn't exist. Apple will be gone tomorrow and maybe even Google, but Microsoft and Windows will live on forever. Maybe Apple and Google should just give up now because nothing can remove Microsoft from being the most relevant and important computer company on this Earth. Wow! Microsoft must surely have a better grip on humanity than even IBM did with their mainframe computers from 1952 to the late 60's.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'm getting the feeling that no matter how much time passes or no matter what else comes along, Windows will never go away. It's been ingrained into humanity for such a long time, no one seems to envision a world where Windows doesn't exist. Apple will be gone tomorrow and maybe even Google, but Microsoft and Windows will live on forever. Maybe Apple and Google should just give up now because nothing can remove Microsoft from being the most relevant and important computer company on this Earth. Wow! Microsoft must surely have a better grip on humanity than even IBM did with their mainframe computers from 1952 to the late 60's.

Keep hope alive brother! Some day, some hungry company somewhere will create an OS that's lighter, more secure, and cheaper, and it'll change the PC market.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vital0gy View Post

YOU are the one being illogical!!! Do you even work in a fiscally sound organization? The type of company that expects an ROI of 2-3 years on spend? I guess this is a backward concept to most on here. All of our floor support management staff uses Citrix thin clients, and it works well for the tasks that they need to perform throughout the day...namely entering/viewing production data and writing small project papers using Office products.

We currently spend around $200/thin client. LOGICALLY, I would have to present a case study with full ROI to increase our spend per unit by $400-$600. What would be my case? That somehow we will see a productivity lift now that my supervisors could listen to music and play games while they roamed the production floor?

This is what I despise from the all Apple, all the time folks. You seem to deal with abstract ideas instead of business realities. If we were talking about graphic design shops, then I can see the logic in switching to Ipads. But really....I don't see the need for increased costs in a manufacturing/distribution environment while there is a recession going on. That doesn't make my company idiots for being fiscally prudent.

Ever heard of "penny wise, pound foolish?" The weak-minded are denied the fruits of observation. Too bad for you.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    80%? I am as big an Apple fan as the next guy, but something wrong with their survey methodology.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The largest aerospace company in the world that I work for will not spend 2k on a basic laptop for once in a while travel needs... just no way, so IMO don't think thats a fair arguement.

If I understand correctly, most of the citrix things also can be done on a laptop also. And usually, if you can do it by Citrix, then just have a loaner laptop in your dept for about the same price as an ipad for everyone to share. Our company has not empbraced 3G for travelers as a rule. Just on case by case for power travelers.

Just an opinion, I'm not sure I see an 'inherent benefit' for corporate ipad purchases vs laptops. There are exceptions, for things like demo's to customers and the like.... and thats even a hard sell for me. Now... allowing company citrix on a 'personnel ipad'... ok, makes sense. but security is tight now a days.

Meh, who really knows how it will turn out.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

80%? I am as big an Apple fan as the next guy, but something wrong with their survey methodology.

Does seem a bit out of whack, doesn't it. I'm a bit of a luddite, but I just don't see that large a corperate benefit for ipad. For the consumer yes, corporate no.

Iphone corporate and consumer - big yes.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am no longer in business, but I traveled a lot while with IBM. After leaving IBM, I traveled less, but was more involved with leading edge technology.

Nothing like the iPad (or thin clients and remote desktops) existed back then. But I called on quite a few Fortune 500 companies... including Kraftco.

So, I think I have some understanding of the way large, leading edge, businesses work, and what's importune to themt.

With no knowledge of Citrix or its clients, I get the distinct impression that these are the movers and shakers of applying technology to the goals of business!

Am I wrong?

If correct, then the following statistic, alone, is a really, really big deal!

? 80 percent will purchase and use iPad for business

What also caught my eye in the Citrix article was (emphasis mine):

This is Major!!

Credit, where credit is due-- The author of the AI article did link to the Citrix article:

http://community.citrix.com/pages/vi...geId=141690231

But. then, he kind of wandered off to tout Apple and bash Microsoft... normal, anticipated behavior!

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this as an AAPL shareholder and an iPhone/iPad developer.

You are correct, sir!
  • Reply 36 of 53
    cy_starkmancy_starkman Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Apple essentially (accidentally) created the best thin client ever. Not fixed to a desk, easy maintenance, long battery life, keyboard option, and access anywhere with 3G.

I've been writing and saying this since one day after the ipad keynote on forums etc all over the place. It blows me away the journos couldn't figure this out.

Add in easy wipe, reset, soe, internal app development, improved security, baked in exchange support, portrait screen for paper doc writing and lots more. Running a virtualized session of windows with well written touch drivers this thing is gold.

All it needs now is a wired network accessory that passes through on the dock and BAM! The ipad will storm across corporate desks.

The other side is for sys admin's and in particular server admins in large data warehousing and server farm complexes. Also gold.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vital0gy View Post

Quick question: Do you use Citrix?
  • Reply 38 of 53
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

With no knowledge of Citrix or its clients, I get the distinct impression that these are the movers and shakers of applying technology to the goals of business!

Am I wrong?

If correct, then the following statistic, alone, is a really, really big deal!

Yes, it is a very big deal... Citrix is one of the best solution for getting pesky windows applications (like finance programs) working on the road (or from home).
  • Reply 39 of 53
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

The largest aerospace company in the world that I work for will not spend 2k on a basic laptop for once in a while travel needs... just no way, so IMO don't think thats a fair arguement.

If I understand correctly, most of the citrix things also can be done on a laptop also. And usually, if you can do it by Citrix, then just have a loaner laptop in your dept for about the same price as an ipad for everyone to share. Our company has not empbraced 3G for travelers as a rule. Just on case by case for power travelers.

Just an opinion, I'm not sure I see an 'inherent benefit' for corporate ipad purchases vs laptops. There are exceptions, for things like demo's to customers and the like.... and thats even a hard sell for me. Now... allowing company citrix on a 'personnel ipad'... ok, makes sense. but security is tight now a days.

Meh, who really knows how it will turn out.

I'm trying to get a feel for companies that use Citrix. In my view it is very progressive new(er) companies that will aggressively utilize remote desktops etc. I do not expect a decades old, military contract funded, old-school management United Technologies company to adopt these tools.

Remember what the survey says. Citrix's clients are likely to adopt the iPad. If your company doesn't even spring for laptops and is tight fisted even in the case of frequent travelers, I don't expect they have any use for remote desktop clients, let alone an iPad. Hence, I don't think your company's attitude towards business expense even applies here. Your company can still think it isn't worth it and Citrix could still be right.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It doesn't pretend to be anything other than garbage.

It's "Citrix customers and others that have come to our website and have interest enough in the iPad to take a short survey", enticed by the chance to win the iPad they long for.

Self-selected samples are the best way to conduct statistical measurement. If you want to flog a product like a used car salesman.