More iPhone 4 components show up in Portugal, Taiwan

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Global anticipation of the launch of the next generation iPhone is gaining enough momentum that even pictures of its chassis and battery are being discussed on blogs worldwide, from Portugal to Taiwan.

Bodies in Portugal

A report by iPhone Portugal depicted the iPhone 4's purported unibody construction as being very similar to the MacBook Pro and iPad, in a pair of Portuguese videos subtitled in English (below).

The site says the two identical aluminum bodies it presented were purchased by a reader in China for an undisclosed sum. It described the parts as being very light, beautiful and elegant, and said the body "seems to be made in mass production."

The parts appear to match the component breakdown presented by Gizmodo, and the leaked prototype phone that showed up in Vietnam.

Battery in Taiwan

A second report by Apple Pro in Taiwan depicted the iPhone 4's battery.

The site noted that the new battery is rated at 5.25 Watthours, compared to the previous iPhone 3GS' 4.51Wh battery, a 16.5% increase in delivered storage. The site also depicted the new phone's internal connection to the Dock Connector.

While the number of "leaks" surrounding the next iPhone seems to be much higher than usual, it is more likely that the worldwide interest in the iPhone is simply drawing attention to parts that nobody would have considered newsworthy in the past, just as there are few notable occurrences of Android phones being dissected and subsequently receiving any sort of global web traffic from interested viewers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    With the number of components showing online, it will be just a short time before we can just build our own DIY iPhone. \
  • Reply 2 of 31
    so a removable battery is not in the cards, right?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

No, it's clear that apple is moving away from removable battery on laptops and other portables. And so far, at least for me, no problem. I haven't even had to need to get a dongle or battery case.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the number of "leaks" surrounding the next iPhone seems to be much higher than usual, it is more likely that the worldwide interest in the iPhone is simply drawing attention to parts that nobody would have considered newsworthy in the past, just as there are few notable occurrences of Android phones being dissected and subsequently receiving any sort of global web traffic from interested viewers.

There is worldwide interest because there is only ONE Iphone released a year, no? If there was only one Android equipped phone released a year, we would see similar interest, no doubt. But since there are multiple Android handsets issued on multiple carriers, interest is naturally dispersed--less intense.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    I still don't believe that the iPhone will have screws on the bottom... its so un-apple....
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

I still don't believe that the iPhone will have screws on the bottom... its so un-apple....

The 3G and 3GS both have screws, though I too would have guessed Apple would be moving away from their visible inclusion.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

The 3GS does have screws on the bottom. I guess they make servicing the battery easier.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Oh the battery is removable - just not by you - at least if you want to keep your warranty.

Sorry I could not help myself.

I don't think a replaceable battery is in the future. I think the goal is to get the power consumption down and keep the performance constantly improving(which they have done and incredible job at).

I like what is being done and do not find a need for replaceable battery myself.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    yes, I knew there was no removable battery, just trying to be sarcastic. With all the new cameras with flash on this thing, it would seem to need more than the small increase in battery power. We'll have to live with SJ view of the best phone product in the universe, although I think as the enterprise starts to use these, the lack of a removable battery will be the biggest complaint, and one Apple refuses to listen to.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

yes, I knew there was no removable battery, just trying to be sarcastic. With all the new cameras with flash on this thing, it would seem to need more than the small increase in battery power. We'll have to live with SJ view of the best phone product in the universe, although I think as the enterprise starts to use these, the lack of a removable battery will be the biggest complaint, and one Apple refuses to listen to.

My wife uses a Droid Eris, my dad uses a Bold 9700, my father-in-law uses a Touch Pro 2, and the rest of my family and in-laws use some combination of iPhones, feature phones, and basic dumb phones. All but the iPhone have replaceable batteries, and none of them have a second battery. It is inconvenient to carry around a spare battery or two, and just having the ability to say you can does make it any more convenient or useful. Apple has the right approach: keep things simple, and use the space required for the mechanics of a removable battery to build... a BIGGER battery! I much prefer this method than having a battery door that is bending off or cracked 6 months after purchase.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

My wife uses a Droid Eris, my dad uses a Bold 9700, my father-in-law uses a Touch Pro 2, and the rest of my family and in-laws use some combination of iPhones, feature phones, and basic dumb phones. All but the iPhone have replaceable batteries, and none of them have a second battery. It is inconvenient to carry around a spare battery or two, and just having the ability to say you can does make it any more convenient or useful. Apple has the right approach: keep things simple, and use the space required for the mechanics of a removable battery to build... a BIGGER battery! I much prefer this method than having a battery door that is bending off or cracked 6 months after purchase.

AMEN!

• Reply 12 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Well said. In all my many years of owning a phone, I've never bought a spare battery. I have never known anyone to buy a replacement / additional battery for their phones either.

Apple has the right approach. Please 98% of the users. The 2% will ALWAYS find something trivial to comment on.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Well said. In all my many years of owning a phone, I've never bought a spare battery. I have never known anyone to buy a replacement / additional battery for their phones either.

I did! My first cell phone years ago (something from Motorola). I bought an extra battery simply because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I don't recall that I ever used it - other than swapping it out a few times to make sure I always had the spare fully charged.

I agree 100% - there's no need for a replaceable battery. If you really can't live with the battery life, carrying an external battery pack is no less convenient than a spare internal one.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I did! My first cell phone years ago (something from Motorola). I bought an extra battery simply because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I don't recall that I ever used it - other than swapping it out a few times to make sure I always had the spare fully charged.

I agree 100% - there's no need for a replaceable battery. If you really can't live with the battery life, carrying an external battery pack is no less convenient than a spare internal one.

Was that Motorola a RAZR or a variant? Or was it a smartphone (for the time)? If it was a feature phone, then that might skew your view a bit. Those things have nothing that would eat away your battery as smartphones today do. I could charge up my old Samsung feature phone and I can make it about a week before seeing the low battery warning.

I have to say that the only thing that gives an extra battery a "leg up" is you get to keep the phone clean. Meaning that you don't have something extra hanging off of the side or bottom of the phone. Some of those boosters that attach via the port on the bottom won't fit if you have a case on (granted, some are cases themselves).

To some people, having a clean phone it's reason enough to get an extra battery. For others (like you), it's not that big of a deal.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

...although I think as the enterprise starts to use these, the lack of a removable battery will be the biggest complaint, and one Apple refuses to listen to.

There are a host of elegant external battery solutions that you just snap into the dock port at the bottom of the iPhone. They recharge the iPhone about halfway within ten minutes, at which point they can be put back in your pocket and recharged when you get a chance. You can also use the iPhone immediately while these are plugged in, and they are nice and unobtrusive. So, there's your spare battery solution for business people. And there goes the biggest complaint, right out the window.

Thompson
  • Reply 16 of 31
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The option of a REMOVABLE BATTERY is a Plus no matter how you look at it. For some it's necessary as job & time don't permit for intraday recharging. Also with continuous charging the lenght of time you battery will give you decreases. (Apple battery has a life of 250 recharges)So a removable battery would save the inconvenience & cost of Apple replacement. In any event No replaceable battery till 7G (LOL) so we can just hope that the 4G lasts longer.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Loved the jab at android phones.

As to the guy who said that this is because there's only one released every year, instead of many like the android phones, what a fallacious argument. So if porche released five or so new models per year and kia released one, do you think that the world would completely ignore spy photos of prototypes from porche and focuse solely on the single kia model? Similarly even if there were 5 iphones a year and 1 android phone, the iphones would still gather more interest, because they are on the whole better and more desirable devices.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

The option of a REMOVABLE BATTERY is a Plus no matter how you look at it. For some it's necessary as job & time don't permit for intraday recharging. Also with continuous charging the lenght of time you battery will give you decreases. (Apple battery has a life of 250 recharges)So a removable battery would save the inconvenience & cost of Apple replacement. In any event No replaceable battery till 7G (LOL) so we can just hope that the 4G lasts longer.

No it isn't and you dont understand fundamental battery tech and assembly of mobile devices. I you integrate the battery you can fit it very tightly and gain about 10-15% in performance, as well as gaining in compactness, slimness and robustness of the end product. All of which are desirable in mobile devices. Your point is also rendered irrelevant as the macs now have 8 hour batteries, and the iphones have very capable batteries too. What makes it even more irrelevant is that you can always carry a powerful battery pack, they are slim, pocketable, miniscule, and they you can stick it on the iphone's port and use the phone or have it charge your battery in a few minutes and then you can take it off.

Idiotic ideas of making the device bulkier, having some crap crack prone back plate that mechanically comes off to allow the very occasional battery swap, while at the same time compromising performance, size and robustness (when all along you have the option for those rare need to stick a battery in the connector) are an anachronism.

But that was the accepted wisdom for a long time in mobile phones, and apple ignored the whining of the misinformed or the lure of tec sheets (we have removable battery too, hurraahhh!), and with an effective stroke ended another mishap of the tech industry. But still the nexus one was touted as having a replaceable battery, and where is the nexus one now?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

No it isn't and you dont understand fundamental battery tech and assembly of mobile devices. I you integrate the battery you can fit it very tightly and gain about 10-15% in performance...

Opinions aside, I'm curious how you came to you claim in those numbers.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Opinions aside, I'm curious how you came to you claim in those numbers.

These are rough estimates of course, but I derived them from the measurable battery improvements the macbook pros got when they switched from user removable to integrated batteries.

Btw, I disagree with the opinions aside comment, it's not a matter of opinion what I and the others have said above, they are matters of fact. It's not a matter of opinion what you said for example that you are doomed to have the external battery pack sticking out, it's a matter of fact, and it's inaccurate. Since most of these packs in a few minutes can charge your phone's internal battery, and then you put them in your pocket again and there's nothing sticking out.