iPad is harbinger of 'uncomfortable' transition to post-PC, Jobs says

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The iPad and other tablet-style devices won't completely replace the PC, but they will make traditional computers less necessary, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs said.

Jobs spoke Tuesday at the All Things D Conference, and was asked by Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal whether the iPad is going to replace the laptop. Jobs said the change from the PC is inevitable, but it's a question of how long the transition will take.

"The transformation of the PC to new form factors like the tablet is going to make some people uneasy because the PC has taken us a long ways," Jobs said. "The PC is brilliant.. and we like to talk about the post-PC era, but it's uncomfortable."

He compared the migration to the U.S. automobile industry, and when most U.S. vehicles were trucks because they were driven by farmers. He said that cars became more popular as cities rose, and features like power steering and automatic transition were added over time. "PCs are going to be like trucks," he said, noting that they will still be around, but will represent a smaller number of people.

He said that the timeframe for the transition is unclear, and it's also unknown whether the iPad will be the device that ultimately replaces the PC. But he said he believes the migration is inevitable.

Jobs was asked whether a lack of a keyboard makes the iPad not an ideal device for content creation. Jobs responded by saying that people can use a Bluetooth keyboard if they really need to write something longer. He also said the software on devices will become more powerful and allow more features for users. "Time takes care of lots of these things," Jobs said.

As for future revisions to the iPad, the chief executive was asked whether flexible displays were on the horizon in new hardware. Jobs said that Apple does not currently have the technology to do that, and it's not on the horizon. He said a lot of people are trying, but it remains likely several years away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    I may eventually get the iPad and I think it's an interesting device but no way does it come even close to replacing my MBP. It's depressing how Apple has deprecated OS X - it's almost non existent at WWDC and I wouldn't be surprised if 10.7 is canceled.
  • Reply 1 of 74
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    The PC isn't going anywhere.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

It's depressing how Apple has deprecated OS X - it's almost non existent at WWDC and I wouldn't be surprised if 10.7 is canceled.

I would.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

It's depressing how Apple has deprecated OS X - it's almost non existent at WWDC and I wouldn't be surprised if 10.7 is canceled.

I would.

If you look at their quarterly financial statements as observe how much revenue Apple derives from the sale of Macintosh computers, it would be unlikely that they abandon computer sales and/or the development of the operating system that runs on those machines.

If you don't believe me, please go read the SEC filings yourself.

Sincerely,

AAPL shareholder
  • Reply 5 of 74
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    OK, maybe 10.7 will be the last Mac OS, as a stopgap until iPhone OS advances further. But WWDC makes it clear that they don't care about OS X much anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I think that the idea of the PC is changing. I believe there will eventually be a day where there is some kind of iMac where it will be running the iPhone OS in the future. Obviously the iPhone OS doesn't have the depth of the Mac but it is really only limited by Apple. As of right now they're still trying to find a way to replace the Finder and folder structure of the Mac.

I would venture to say that at least 95% of the posters on this forum only need about a dozen or so features on the iPad before it can become their only computer. The professionals that need the power will still have the PC around for a few years after the mass migration but Apple will eventually come to a point and say "Why can't we make a desktop out of this?"
  • Reply 7 of 74
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Jobs didn't say it was going away. Just less and less folks will need a full-blown PC. I can see that day coming soon. Tablets, smartphones, and smart-televisions will replace the need for the PC for most people. For many a Sony PlayStation or Xbox 360 is just about enough.

I can't say that about my Wii though - even with the Opera browser and Netflix.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    koheletkohelet Posts: 58member
    Why not just build/intergrate the iOS touch interface into 10.7 (or a later os)? Thus a future ipad/product could run full OS X that is built for touch interaction.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    gchristegchriste Posts: 43member
    People are getting hung up on the fact there is little OSX at WWDC this year. That is very true, but there are a lot of new things, iPad, OS4 etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see more OSX next year once the excitement has died down around this years new toys.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I can't say that about my Wii though

I just use my Wii for Mario Kart. Who wants to race?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • Reply 11 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I would venture to say that at least 95% of the posters on this forum only need about a dozen or so features on the iPad before it can become their only computer.

Yeah that's about right. I can think of a few things it could use before I would replace most of my computers.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Sorry to nitpick, but it should be "......power steering and automatic transmission..." (not 'transition').
  • Reply 13 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I think that the idea of the PC is changing. I believe there will eventually be a day where there is some kind of iMac where it will be running the iPhone OS in the future. Obviously the iPhone OS doesn't have the depth of the Mac but it is really only limited by Apple. As of right now they're still trying to find a way to replace the Finder and folder structure of the Mac.

I would venture to say that at least 95% of the posters on this forum only need about a dozen or so features on the iPad before it can become their only computer. The professionals that need the power will still have the PC around for a few years after the mass migration but Apple will eventually come to a point and say "Why can't we make a desktop out of this?"

There is also the issue of screen size. Many people need a larger screen and a touch interface works less well on a large screen. I think maybe 95% of computer use can be done just as well on an iPad but I think a lot of people need something more than an iPad to do their work. I am sure the iPad will change the way many people work, however. Or rather, highly focussed single purpose apps will change the way many of us work. It certainly will be interesting to see how OSX and iPhone OS will merge over time. I certainly can imagine an OSX that looks and feels like iPhone OS but that can be operated with a mouse.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

OK, maybe 10.7 will be the last Mac OS, as a stopgap until iPhone OS advances further. But WWDC makes it clear that they don't care about OS X much anymore.

OSX is needed to create the apps that run on iPhone OS. It's not leaving any time soon.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Or maybe you're just a pessimist. Jobs didn't say that tablets would replace the desktop PC, but that they would coexist. Like cars and trucks. He likened it to a shift from a rural environment where everyone has a truck (PC) to and urban environment where cars (new form factors like tablets) are more dominant, but trucks are still present.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The story title is inaccurate, from my POV.

Quote:

"iPad is harbinger of 'uncomfortable' transition to post-PC, Jobs says"

A better title might be, "iPad Is Harbinger of Post-PC Era".
  • Reply 17 of 74
    My biggest worry (and I am a worry wart) is that post-PC will mean post-content creation. I love my ipad, but in its current 1.0 form, its really difficult to create content with. I worry Apple is headed down a road where it will cater to the 80% of the population that does NOTHING BUT social networking, and reading the news, and not maintain its superiority in creative creation, which is what Apple used to be about.

I hope the iPad succeeds, but I really hope this is the larva stage. I hope multitouch unleashes our ability to truly create without any hardware barriers.

....but so far, Multitouch is an impediment rather than a catalyst. (IMHO)
  • Reply 18 of 74
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFitzPro View Post

My biggest worry (and I am a worry wart) is that post-PC will mean post-content creation. I love my ipad, but in its current 1.0 form, its really difficult to create content with. I worry Apple is headed down a road where it will cater to the 80% of the population that does NOTHING BUT social networking, and reading the news, and not maintain its superiority in creative creation, which is what Apple used to be about.

Steve already addressed your concerns. It's the very first sentence:

"The iPad and other tablet-style devices won't completely replace the PC, but they will make traditional computers less necessary, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs said."

It's okay, you can still have a PC for content creation (e.g., editing HD video).

Not a big deal.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFitzPro View Post

I hope the iPad succeeds, but I really hope this is the larva stage. I hope multitouch unleashes our ability to truly create without any hardware barriers.

....but so far, Multitouch is an impediment rather than a catalyst. (IMHO)

Don't worry that will never happen. To extend the vehicle analogy even further, if you want to plough your field there will always be a mac pro tractor, or if you want to carry goods there will be a truck (or imac, or macbook pro) and if you want to go out for a movie or dinner you can always enjoy your ride in the convertible. Of course, there will always also be a macbook or macbook air around, which I will liken to an el camino (lol, this analogy is getting out of track) or a pick up.

Enough with the vehicles!!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 74
    I have two friends who are good and intelligent people, who have absolutely no clue how to use a real computer despite both having decades of successful life on this planet. None of them have even the smallest liking for computers; one of them today called hers her "nemesis".

Steve is clear that those of us who want to use our computers still can. But I would not forget my friends, who probably represent a large majority of the population. They would be far better off with an iPad than a regular PC.

If the touch device eventually wins over in the "big iron" computer sweepstakes, it will be thanks to better software than what presently exists. Imagine, for example, to be able to use a touch interface to edit video in a more direct, tactile way. That might just be a lot of fun, if you can crack your mind open a tad.

I definitely don't expect a combination MacOS X + iPhoneOS combo device. Using MacOS applications on such a device would appear badly compromised to the user. That's why Windows Tablet devices were such a disaster. If you think Steve Jobs would make such a mistake, well, you don't know Steve!

As others have said, this is a fascinating new world Steve has brought to the table. It's innovative and thoughtfully designed. It vanquishes spyware to the dustbin of history where it belongs. And remember, it is just a car. We truck drivers are not losing our trucks.

There is nothing wrong with new choice and opportunity - that is what iPad brings.

D