iPhone OS 4 beta 4 Places geotagging feature now works (photos)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple listed mobile support for its iPhoto Places geotagging feature in the upcoming iPhone OS 4 release, but it hasn't been working until the latest developer build. Here's what it looks like.

The camera on existing iPhones can already capture GPS or triangulated WiFi location data on the pictures it takes. However, there's no way to view where photos were taken on the phone itself; the pictures have to be synced with a desktop program such as iPhoto that supports geotagging.

In the upcoming iPhone OS 4, just like iPad, there's new support for viewing a map of geotagged photos within the Photos app on the iPhone and iPod touch. A Places tab switches the view from albums of thumbnail views to an integrated map marked with pins (shown below).

Similar to Apple's desktop iPhoto program, the new Places feature within the Photos app can pull up individual pictures or groups of photos from any marked point on the map.

Events, Faces and Places

Previous beta releases of iPhone OS 4 have also included tabs for Events (showing photos by date) and Faces (grouping photos by the people tagged within them), both of which are now missing in the latest build.

Update:Another set of screenshots provided by a second beta tester indicates that the beta 4 build also supports Events. It may be that the Events tab is only displayed when there are photos from multiple days. And because Faces data appears to be synced from iPhoto, that tab may only appear if the mobile device has been synced with a photo album containing tagged identities.

The current beta 4 build is the first one seeded to outside developers with a functional Places user interface, so the change doesn't necessarily mean the Faces features have been dropped or will not appear in the final release.

It is likely that support for Events and Faces will be in the final release, as these features already exist and work fine within the iPad's iPhone OS 3.2 build. At the same time however, the "pinch to preview" album user interface used on the iPad will likely need to be modified or simplified to work within the smaller screen of the iPhone and iPod touch.

As depicted in the Events photos (below), it appears Event albums will be shown as a standard list. It would make sense that Faces would be depicted the same way on smaller mobile devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    I wouldn't automatically assume that the pinch to preview capability will be there at all. Apple does what works well for each device and I think the current method works fine. It would be weird to have the picture stacks on the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    aimbddaimbdd Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple listed mobile support for its iPhoto Places geotagging feature in the upcoming iPhone OS 4 release, but it hasn't been working until the latest developer build. Here's what it looks like.

The camera on existing iPhones can already capture GPS or triangulated WiFi location data on the pictures it takes. However, there's no way to view where photos were taken on the phone itself; the pictures have to be synced with a desktop program such as iPhoto that supports geotagging.

In the upcoming iPhone OS 4, just like iPad, there's new support for viewing a map of geotagged photos within the Photos app on the iPhone and iPod touch. A Places tab switches the view from albums of thumbnail views to an integrated map marked with pins (shown below).

Similar to Apple's desktop iPhoto program, the new Places feature within the Photos app can pull up individual pictures or groups of photos from any marked point on the map.

Events, Faces and Places

Previous beta releases of iPhone OS 4 have also included tabs for Events (showing photos by date) and Faces (grouping photos by the people tagged within them), both of which are now missing in the latest build.

However, the current build is the first one seeded to outside developers with a functional Places user interface, so the change doesn't necessarily mean the earlier features have been dropped or will not appear in the final release.

It is likely that support for Events and Faces will be added back, as these features already exist and work fine within the iPad's iPhone OS 3.2 build. At the same time however, the "pinch to preview" album user interface used on the iPad will likely need to be modified or simplified to work within the smaller screen of the iPhone and iPod touch.

hah sweeet! im sure they will add those features back at a later time. they just want developers to focus on the new geo tagging.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    macdevilmacdevil Posts: 52member
    Actually, events and faces still work in beta 4. However, the tabs now only show up in the photos app if you sync an event or photo tagged with a face from iPhoto. This way the app is not cluttered up with tabs that have nothing in them. I suspect the places tab would disappear if you hadn't synced any photos that had been geotagged.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    cisco kidcisco kid Posts: 16member
    There used to be an app for that called "Koredoko" ?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    If I sync my iPhone with a PC will I not be able to use the events places and faces features- because they need iPhoto?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    this should resolve some problems when pix are uploaded to an iPad that's then synced to iPhoto. (events out of sequence and duplicated)
  • Reply 7 of 20
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

If I sync my iPhone with a PC will I not be able to use the events places and faces features- because they need iPhoto?

You are likely out of luck. Another nice feature of owning a Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You are likely out of luck. Another nice feature of owning a Mac.

I know, no need to rub it in \
  • Reply 9 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You'll have to retag them for a different app, but Adobe Elements and Picasa are to app that I think offer facial recognition and cataloging.

Geotagging is much more universal as it's just the lists the raw coordinates in the metadata so even sites like Flickr can pull that info.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Quote:

I know, no need to rub it in \

Don't worry, another really nice feature is the ability to run Windows on the Mac .

This is pretty cool, turning the iPhone into a really useful camera with minimal hassles ... now to just do more stuff that is worth taking photos of!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

Don't worry, another really nice feature is the ability to run Windows on the Mac .

This is pretty cool, turning the iPhone into a really useful camera with minimal hassles ... now to just do more stuff that is worth taking photos of!

While 3meg camera is ok in 3GS, hopefully the 5meg will be even better in next version.

Imagine if they put 3G option (ala ipad)and a nice camera in the itouch. It would wipe out all the canon/nikon etc small pocket cameras in one swoop. Could that be in the keynote address?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

While 3meg camera is ok in 3GS, hopefully the 5meg will be even better in next version.

I'm all for higher pixels if they adequately upgrade the other aspects of the camera. More than a flash, I'd like to see the camera take decent low-light capabilities.

Quote:

Imagine if they put 3G option (ala ipad)and a nice camera in the itouch. It would wipe out all the canon/nikon etc small pocket cameras in one swoop. Could that be in the keynote address?

Historically, anything to do with new iPod HW comes during the September event so I'd say it's doubtful.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    A new third party app, Photos Ultra, does the same in OS3.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

You can always dream that Apple will port iPhoto to Windows.

Stranger things have happened!

• Reply 15 of 20
    subvrtsubvrt Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post

There used to be an app for that called "Koredoko" ?

i use this app. it works.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

this should resolve some problems when pix are uploaded to an iPad that's then synced to iPhoto. (events out of sequence and duplicated)

I am running beta 4 and sync with a PC and I do not have faces or events. The places tab has been working since beta 3 though.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    cool! but not for 3G(S) due to "hardware limitation" I guess....
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

cool! but not for 3G(S) due to "hardware limitation" I guess....

I'm running the 3GS model and have at least the places feature. Once I can get a mac laptop with iwork 09 I'll know for sure if faces and events works.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Does OS4 support syncing over WiFi?

With the iPad, it has such great battery life I find I want to sync more often than charge.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Does OS4 support syncing over WiFi?

With the iPad, it has such great battery life I find I want to sync more often than charge.

So far I see no evidence of wifi syncing in OS4. Personally, I think this is a large oversight and needs to be fixed.