AT&T caps new iPhone, iPad data plans at 2GB, announces tethering

Comments

• Reply 41 of 359
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Additional $20 for teathering to a 2GB plan? Are you shitting me ATT. Cheaper to get clear home and have 4g everywhere on your laptop and you home with (what I believe) is unlimited data plan, or at least way more then 2gb.
  • Reply 42 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Only the most cultish of Apple fanboy will spin this ripoff as something good. ... Mass returns, class action lawsuits, FTC, you name it.

You sound grumpy. I will save money on my iPad so I like this plan. I can keep my old plan on my iPhone. I have no interest in tethering. Some will lose, some will win. I will win.

Ralph
  • Reply 43 of 359
    I don't understand why so many people are bent out of shape about this. If the new plans aren't for you then stay with what you have. If you're a light user, switch. My wife uses 350mb a month, I use about 1.5gb. I'm not switching but I might switch her to 2gb.
  • Reply 44 of 359
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Only the most cultish of Apple fanboy will spin this ripoff as something good. The people who just purchased the iPad 3Gs with the happy promises of unlimited data plan are now finding out that Lord Jobs & AT&T have essentially lied through their teeth. Mass returns, class action lawsuits, FTC, you name it.

I must've missed where it says this applies retroactively to existing units.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Current AT&T customers are not required to switch to the new plans and sacrifice their unlimited data, but can do so without a contract extension.

• Reply 45 of 359
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Agreed. If they're going to cap the plan, then paying extra for tethering is just a rip-off.

Well then Verizon has also been ripping me off for quite awhile now by charging me more just for the tethering option on my BlackBerry.
  • Reply 46 of 359
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I suppose you have to be an Apple fanboy to have the reading comprehension to understand that 65% of iPhone users don't use over 200MB. Those people will now only have to pay $15 instead of $30. Which is a great deal.

Quote:

Only the most cultish of Apple fanboy will spin this ripoff as something good.

• Reply 47 of 359
    Why doesn't AT&T just say "GO THE F%$! AWAY!".

If someone else does not start providing iPhone service it may be time for Droids all around!
  • Reply 48 of 359
    dbossmondbossmon Posts: 29member
    WHAT THE F$#@ $20 for tethering.

Jail break your phone and you can tether with no problem for FREE. and it does not use more bandwidth that the 3g connection could offer anyways.

After my contract is up i'm getting a normal Cellphone screw all this data plans and tethering fees, calling in feer, using the button fees. Here's my finger fee ATT!
  • Reply 49 of 359
    bioscibiosci Posts: 5member
    Not sure if I'm getting this right... So if I'm using an unlimited 3G plan on the iPad right now, next month will also be unlimited?

What if I cancel at the end of the month, and then restart again in Aug? Will it be unlimited or will it be the new 2gb cap plan?
  • Reply 50 of 359
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You weren't right at all. You said AT&T was going to raise the price for unlimited data. That is clearly not what they've done. They've offered variable pricing to meet the amount of data that most people actually use. Trust me they are going to charge more for LTE.

Someday when I decide I actually want to try drugs, I want to buy them from whoever is selling them to you.

My quotes from that thread...

However AT&T just raised their ETF and who knows what else might happen before launch date.

We already see AT&T raising ETF's and have no guarantee that with some new feature or ability, they won't use it to justify raising data rates again. Sprint already did this with the 4G HTC, so who's to say, justified or not, it might not happen with the new iPhone?

Verizon raises ETF's and AT&T follows. Sprint raises data rates and.... AT&T follows isn't an unreasonable thought. It hasn't happened but there is history. AT&T did raise rates when going from 2G to 3G iPhones so if something about the new iPhone can be considered additionally data intensive (say video chat for example) in their minds they can justify the additional costs.

Actually I believe I noted new data intensive features like... video chat. AT&T has also announced that even though they have already upgraded their network to [email protected] mpbs, they will also go ahead and upgrade it to [email protected] before moving to LTE. That upgrade is largely software and they are terming it advanced 3G. So again, while we are all speculating, it isn't hard to imagine AT&T saying that if you want video chatting with 3G+, they you might have to fork over some more cash. Larger ETF's don't make sense nor does your subsidizing phone plan staying the same cost even when off contract, so why does this have to make any more sense. The companies charge what the market will tolerate.

Data is the closest thing they have to some price control right now. I'm not saying they will, but speculation is speculation regardless of your rationales for dismissing some folks.

Funny, but I don't read the word unlimited in there even once.....I said they would raise data rates, and they have.

In the meantime, hook people up with whoever is selling you such good crap.
  • Reply 51 of 359
    1966goat1966goat Posts: 2member
    You know, its funny. My kindle still has free internet access wherever I go....
  • Reply 52 of 359
    As a "heavy" user this upsets me tremendously. I go way over 2GB a month, and do you know why? I am buying music, movies, and apps from Apple and playing online games that I paid for. This is an example of how the mainstreaming of the internet is screwing the people who have been around for a long time. These companies charge an arm and a leg and then start capping the amount that people can download. That is bs. I will abandon Apple and keep switching to companies that offer true unlimited data plans. To those who cave in and say "this is the future" you are ignorant and letting companies push you around. With the amount of money these companies make it shouldn't be blamed on consumers using "too much bandwidth" - it is the company's responsibility to improve their infrastructure by updating their tech to meet the demands of the future. I can't tell you how many dropped calls I get a day on my iPhone, but I put up with the crap because I know that I at least get unlimited data. What is the point of staying with this crappy network if they don't even offer one good perk.
  • Reply 53 of 359
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I know that a lot of people will bitch about this, but it works for me

I haven't looked at many months for myself, but I think I'm in the same boat as you. I've used less than 400MB going into the last few days of my cycle. So I should save. And my wife will probably stay under 200.

The way they did the extra block of 200 makes a difference. Instead of gouging people with something like $1.99 for each MB over the limit.

This should actually slow down the people who are exceeding 5GB. If it's true that those people are the REAL problem this could be a step in the right direction.
  • Reply 54 of 359
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    The biggest problems with the change in costs for these plans is that you don't know how much it's going to cost you from month to month if you go over.

At the very least, they should allow you to "roll-over" bandwidth from one month to the next the same way they do with voice minutes.

However, checking my phone, I only seem to have used 46MB since 5/9, but I generally don't stream anything much.

And since, according to some postings, you supposedly have the option of continuing with the old unlimited plan even when upgrading the phone and extending the contract, I don't have a problem. (Assuming that is really the case.)

AT&T seems to think this is going to reduce data usage and thereby improve quality on the network. I doubt that will be the case - it will just piss off customers who wind up having to pay more, especially when the additional charges are a surprise. As I've posted before, I was in London a few weeks ago and I was shocked at how well my phone performed as compared to using the phone in NYC. It just confirmed to me how bad AT&T actually is (and that the problems are NOT in the phone.)

Especially in the case of the iPad, I think Apple HAS to open it up to other carriers. The thing has been out only two months and the plan is changing already? That's like bait-and-switch.
  • Reply 54 of 359
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Hmm, I think I will buy a 3g ipad this week...

EDIT

Quote:
    Originally Posted by biosci View Post

Not sure if I'm getting this right... So if I'm using an unlimited 3G plan on the iPad right now, next month will also be unlimited?

What if I cancel at the end of the month, and then restart again in Aug? Will it be unlimited or will it be the new 2gb cap plan?

That is an excellent question.
  • Reply 56 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

These knee jerk reactions completely miss out on the real world usage of data. The 65% of people who don't use above 200MB won't have to pay for an unlimited data plan that they won't use. AT&T allows all iPhone users to use it's public WiFi network for free.

This will also allow AT&T to deal with data hogs and charge them for their use. Which should help improve the network.

These aren't knee-jerk reactions TenoBell. People put up with AT$T's garbage phone service so that they can get one positive thing, and that is unlimited data. Stop being an apologist. As someone who has spent tens of thousands or more on Apple products and media since the late 80's this sure does piss me off. I don't believe Apple thinks they can jerk around their customers like this. And yeah I do use way more than 2GB a month, I am sure of that, I download tons of stuff over 3G. It is bad enough that they are charging for tethering when it was free at one point in previous firmware, now they are tacking on all types of different fees, and of course this won't help with the multitude of dropped calls. Go ahead and defend Apple and ATT - you are alone on this one.
  • Reply 57 of 359
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mountaingrub View Post

As a "heavy" user this upsets me tremendously. I go way over 2GB a month, and do you know why? I am buying music, movies, and apps from Apple and playing online games that I paid for. This is an example of how the mainstreaming of the internet is screwing the people who have been around for a long time. These companies charge an arm and a leg and then start capping the amount that people can download. That is bs. I will abandon Apple and keep switching to companies that offer true unlimited data plans. To those who cave in and say "this is the future" you are ignorant and letting companies push you around. With the amount of money these companies make it shouldn't be blamed on consumers using "too much bandwidth" - it is the company's responsibility to improve their infrastructure by updating their tech to meet the demands of the future. I can't tell you how many dropped calls I get a day on my iPhone, but I put up with the crap because I know that I at least get unlimited data. What is the point of staying with this crappy network if they don't even offer one good perk.

You can keep your unlimited plan if you want. Current users are grandfathered in and it will also apply if you get a new iPhone when it's replaced. What do you lose? If you tether, well I can't answer that because I don't know. Jailbreak and tether if you really want to.
  • Reply 58 of 359
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    This is is good news and a money saver for a lot of people. If you don't see the benefit of this, you're either part of the 2% of the affected heavy data user population or just shortsighted and just plain hate AT&T. Why should I have to pay $30 when I can only pay $15? The overage is also a game changer and very reasonable. This is actually good for both AT&T and Apple. This will get more people (who think the mandatory $30 data plan is too much), casual users at the expense of possibly losing a few people from the 2% population.

Sorry for you heavy data users but there's only a few of you. You're one the main the reasons why AT&T is doing this.

AT&T finally realized they've been overcharging their customers...
  • Reply 59 of 359
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Steve Jobs at WWDC:

"Look at this - you can now use video chat to stream high definition video from phone to phone!"

"And this - tethering! Use your iPhone to connect your MacBook to the internet!"

"Oh wait, there's one more thing.
    Try not to use more than 2GB a month."
  • Reply 60 of 359
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I'm totally with you on this. My wife hasn't gone over 25MB in each of the last four months and I'm sure it's no different in the months before that. Sounds like I can cut her data plan to the 200MB, I'll save $15/month and she'll be perfectly fine. Heck, just checking the last few months of usage for myself, I haven't gone over 200MB either. Sounds like I'll be fine with the 2GB plan (just to be safe) and I'll end up saving a total of $20/month (between our two data plans).

I tend to believe the figure of 98% use less than 5GB/mo. I am probably an average user who doesn't use his phone for business, and I have only used 5.6 GB in 20 months. I certainly don't feel restricted. I suspect that most who go over probably use it for business purposes & do tether. I would also agree that data is data, whether tethered or not! Separate charges for tethering is like separate charges for texting.