iPad is harbinger of 'uncomfortable' transition to post-PC, Jobs says

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The transition I don't mind is that the PC is less static. I personally don't like having to sit in one place to interact with my computer, I'd like to move around with it and while a laptop seems like a better fit, the screen on its own is much lighter.

Mobile devices may be a better fit for you. But that's personal preference. For some tasks a mobile device may be a good fit for me. But most of those tasks are outside the home\\office. When I am here I'd rather do my heavy lifting with a bigger screened personal computer with its peripherals setup ergonomically. Right now I haven't been using my notebook much because I don't have as much to do outside of the house. Even my iPod isn't seeing as much use because it too is mostly useful for me for when I'm not here. So as far as I'm concerned something like my 27 inch iMac will be necessary for some time to come. If I had a mobile device as my primary computer it'd be docked 99% of the time and that's kind of a waste for a mobile device. For most of the things I do there's no added value for dragging around a small personal device computing device around the house experiencing everything on a small screen... except perhaps tasks that is suited for like reading ebooks. Even listening to music is better on my full computer hooked up to my big stereo. So like I've said things like the iPad are great as satellite devices but not as my sole computing device. That is until perhaps in the distant future when it has enough power to outstrip the requirements of all things and can dock and has a UI that adapts to all situations. But again I like keeping my mobile life separate. Not even sci-fi characters are expected to have mobile devices as their sole computing device.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smoke_tetsu View Post

So while I do imagine and like new uses for things like the iPad I still see a place for bigger form factors such as the Mac. Especially when the iPhone OS remains a walled garden.

The walled garden isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

HTML5 web apps can do a whole heck of a lot ? and they're cross-platform, to boot.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smoke_tetsu View Post

Critical thinking isn't just accepting everything that is spoon fed to you so to speak. I wouldn't mind change in OS X for the better but that's just it.. it has to be for the better. So no I don't expect it to always be the same but on the same token I don't want them to throw the baby out with the bath water. That's just my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm having a heart attack over it nor does name calling or calling me an idiot change my opinion. To be honest though our comments here aren't going to guide it no matter what especially since Apple doesn't troll the forums for ideas.

So while I do imagine and like new uses for things like the iPad I still see a place for bigger form factors such as the Mac. Especially when the iPhone OS remains a walled garden.

Any time you throw an idea out into the universe, it matters, whether or not Apple is trolling.

But what are you really bringing to the table? You say "for the better", but I would simply argue they are obviously always changing it for the better, and Jobs already discussed that there's a place for the PC.

Go back to the cave.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen View Post

We could see a clamshell iPad version replace the Air, reducing the platform count for Apple, just as the iMac and Mini have what is basically a quasi laptop motherboard inside (or it did at first).

As I was playing with the iPad at the local Apple store I had that same idea. I thought, "How do I put it into my shoulder bag and make sure the exposed screen doesn't get damaged bumping up against something else?"

Then it hit me: a clamshell form factor!

And then I thought: They could put a physical keyboard on the other half of the clamshell!

As I removed the iPad from its carefully crafted pedestal and put it on the table at the store I noticed that the curved back makes it hard to type on a flat surface. Good job with the pedestal, as it avoids that uncomfortable moment of realization.

So I thought: It would be great if there was some way to type on this without propping it up against my knee or holding it with one hand.

And then I bought a netbook.

Similar size, similar weight, runs millions of apps, lets me run R, has two USB ports, SSD slot, built-in screen protection, comes with a physical keyboard, has a webcam - and comes bundled with an entire computer.

Extra bonus points: saved me $200 too.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

Any time you throw an idea out into the universe, it matters, whether or not Apple is trolling.

But what are you really bringing to the table? You say "for the better", but I would simply argue they are obviously always changing it for the better, and Jobs already discussed that there's a place for the PC.

Go back to the cave.

You're not doing any better. What exactly are YOU bringing to the table with your comments? Especially telling people to "go back to their caves" just because their opinions differ to yours. Everyone has ideas but that doesn't mean they are feasible or if they are that they should be given away in a forum. IMO not many of the comments here have brought much to the table when you come down to it. We're all stating our opinions based upon what we do and what our preferences are. Is it so wrong for me to think that different devices have different tasks they are best suited to?
  • Reply 66 of 74
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

If anything, netbooks will die off in favor of the iPad or like devices (probably an Android tablet of sorts).

Traditional computers will still soldier on for those who need/want them but, as people become comfortable with the iPad and its like and figure out the right use cases for them, they will probably be supplanted to a great degree.

Just as traditional desktops have given way to laptops, there are still desktop computers for those who want them. I don't think any sort of panic/pessimism is warranted here.

Agreed.

It's the beginning of a transition period when desktops become less prevalent, but it doesn't mean they are going away anytime soon.

The new mobile platform will however replace the "casual second computer" market. In other words almost all netbook users and a very large chunk of the people that currently buy laptops.

What's happened recently is that people need their computers to be portable, thus the rise of the laptop. The netbook and before it the PDA, pushed the small portable computer concept to the limit, and while people followed, they didn't work as solutions for most users. The new mobile (Tablet/iPhone) form factor is the market's answer to that same need and will replace the other, lesser solutions.

The desktop is in no imminent danger, but the netbook market is about to crash, big time. I wouldn't put any great stock in laptops being that popular for many more years either.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

I ma It's depressing how Apple has deprecated OS X - it's almost non existent at WWDC and I ...

"deprecated?" Oh come on. When and where have you read or heard Apple criticizing or disapproving OSX? Perhaps it appears that Apple is publicly ignoring OSX but certainly not deprecating it.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    I don't think Jobs is saying that this first version of the iPad will effectively do enough to replace a laptop or desktop. Also his truck vs. car comparison is a little off in that most of us can afford to own more than one computing device whereas with a vehicle, a lot of us can't afford more than one. It makes sense, though, in terms of how a car became a logical replacement for trucks when a lot of people realized they were not going to use their vehicle for anything other than to travel from Point A to Point B. Such a vehicle didn't need the additional utility offered by a truck.

In order for an iPad to become my only computer, it would have to become a heck of a lot more powerful, have way more RAM etc. On the other hand, five years from now, considering how technology keeps improving, who knows.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    It's just really harrowing to me that people are so damn clingy.

To such silly things, none the less. They grow attached to elements of their user interface, and because they are so enamored with what currently exists, they become completely closed off the the amazing innovations that paint the future as beautifully compelling. People easily become jaded to the POINT; the big picture.

They grow attached, then flip out because they feel threatened by needing to learn or trust something new, without even stopping to think about the cost-benefit analysis and the incredible amount of research collectively conducted by the same intelligent, patient, and creative minds that brought you the devices that are currently at the center of their digital lives.

Nobody is trying to prevent anybody from creating content. Without it, there is no consumption.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFitzPro View Post

My biggest worry (and I am a worry wart) is that post-PC will mean post-content creation. I love my ipad, but in its current 1.0 form, its really difficult to create content with. I worry Apple is headed down a road where it will cater to the 80% of the population that does NOTHIN (IMHO)

Most people aren't content creators. And even those of us who are content creators are content consumers most of the time. Content consumers can publish small snippets of information, hence sites like Facebook and Twitter.

However, you may as well get used to the fact that tablet devices are more about content consumption than creation. That seems to be the market analysis behind this, and I think it's right.

Maybe detractors are right that so much content uses Flash (as unfortunate as that is), but wrong when they compare the iPad to a content creation system.

Thus what defines the tablet factor is 90% content consumption and being able to input small amounts of data with iWork, and small communications with email, etc.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    The iPad is a "halo" device designed to get the netbook and $600 Win 7 laptop crowd into a Apple Store where they quickly see it's limitations and perhaps be sold on buying a Mac.

Apple, starting with the MacBook Air, introducing the iPad and nearly eliminating the MacBook, is slowly committing business suicide by scaling down their products features and versatility.

Computers are like toolboxes, the more tools it carries the more it appeals to more people.

Try selling a toolbox with one or two tools and see how many people buy it in favor of one with 120 tools.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Try selling a toolbox with one or two tools and see how many people buy it in favor of one with 120 tools.

Try selling a toolbox to someone who only wants a screwdriver.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Try selling a toolbox to someone who only wants a screwdriver.

Here's Ballmer's take on all this :

Quote:

"The PCS as we know it will continue to morph form factor,” he said. “The real question is what are you going to push.” In Microsoft’s case, the answer is more machines that run flavors of Windows. “To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail; we have a hammer,” Mr. Ballmer joked.

I think they may be mistaken that he was joking, though.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen View Post

What Mr. K says.

The iPad will eat the lunch of the take-anywhere casual use laptop IMHO.

For me there is one thing that prevents the ipad from being a take-anywhere casual use laptop, storage space. It would be great if it supported an external hard drive because I have way too many photos and movies to fit on the ipad.