More alleged Apple iPhone 4G parts show white external casing

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Components claimed to be from Apple's forthcoming fourth-generation iPhone once again show a white external casing, this time with a previously unseen white back panel.

PowerBook Medic obtained images of both the front and back panels for the newly designed casing. While the shown front panel matches what was previously pictured online, the back of the device shows space for a camera flash and a larger camera lens, as were found in the black models that were publicly disassembled.

The white back panel, covered with a plastic seal, lacks any markers that might indicate the storage capacity of the new device, and it does not feature a model number, suggesting it is not a final product.

The parts do clearly show the side-facing slot for a micro-SIM card, and the device's previously revealed metal sides. The front panel also features a spot for a forward-facing camera.

Last month, the first glimpse of a white next-generation iPhone was seen when an alleged part was obtained. The same site later placed the white front panel atop other components to give an idea of what the device might look like when it is finally released.

Previous reports said the back panel is made of glass or a similar material designed to help improve reception of Apple's next-generation handset.

Apple first began to offer color options with the iPhone 3G in 2008 with the second-generation version of the hardware. Apple gave the iPhone a polished, plastic back, available in shiny black for the 8GB and 16GB models, and offered a polished white option for the 16GB model only. But both the black and white models retained the black front panel surrounding the handset's multitouch LCD screen, while the new part suggests Apple could bring the color to the front side of the device.

Apple is expected to introduce its fourth-generation iPhone next week at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. The event will kick off on Monday, June 7, with a keynote hosted by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Components claimed to be from Apple's forthcoming fourth-generation iPhone once again show a white external casing, this time with a previously unseen white back panel...

Ugleeee!

Usually the white model is for the pros and the real aficionados, but you'd have to be blind and tasteless to buy into this new white version. (IMO of course)
  • Reply 2 of 41
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Ugleeee!

... have to be blind and tasteless to buy into this new white version. (IMO of course)

I love it when people speak about subjective things as if they are facts.... Like when the first 4 gen prototype was leaked? Everyone said it was WAY too ugly to be a genuine iPhone....That they would NEVER buy it?? I'm sure Apple will have no problem selling either phone....Thank God Apple DOESN'T listen to the majority of comments posted here...
  • Reply 3 of 41
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    I feel like the bunny in:

Everyone Else Has Had More Sex Than Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENnAa7rqtBM

Only with the iPhone 4 instead of sex.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    formerarsgmformerarsgm Posts: 191member
    Appreciating that sites like AI need to drive page hits, I have to ask... is anyone else about tired of all the "images of iPhone 4G" almost every day? We're less than a week away, can we not stop speculating and guessing and just look forward to the 7th?

With that said, interesting the countries where these supposed leaks originate.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Ugleeee!

Usually the white model is for the pros and the real aficionados, but you'd have to be blind and tasteless to buy into this new white version. (IMO of course)

Low light will do that to white.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    ridikulasridikulas Posts: 15member
    I bought the white 3g and was very happy with it. But I can't see myself buying the new white iPhone. Something about it lacks the sexiness of the new black one IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I highly doubt the "white" or "black" panels will be made of glass. Just imagine if you were drop this thing once and, CRACK! I have droped my 3G model but never on it's face and by the looks of these supposed "next gen" models, the white and black parts are exposed at the edges. My guess is it will be the same plastic they use on the current models.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Ugleeee!

I bought the 3G model in White. Even the Tech Guys at my office didn't like the white, calling me (in gest i must mention) racist. But i got it in white because i knew EVERYONE would buy the black version so it would be easy to spot mine in the crowd. Oops, i just let out my secret
  • Reply 9 of 41
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I highly doubt the "white" or "black" panels will be made of glass. Just imagine if you were drop this thing once and, CRACK! I have droped my 3G model but never on it's face and by the looks of these supposed "next gen" models, the white and black parts are exposed at the edges. My guess is it will be the same plastic they use on the current models.

I seem to remember that Apple obtained a patent for a new type of crash proof ceramic some time ago. This is probably the material that looks like glass but is not.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

I love it when people speak about subjective things as if they are facts.... Like when the first 4 gen prototype was leaked? Everyone said it was WAY too ugly to be a genuine iPhone....That they would NEVER buy it?? I'm sure Apple will have no problem selling either phone....Thank God Apple DOESN'T listen to the majority of comments posted here...

How does saying "in my opinion it's ugly" equate to "it's a fact"?

Your making a lot of assumptions about me, generalising about what "everyone" thought, and bringing dieties into it for cripes sake. If anyone is being overly emotional and not talking facts, it's you.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

I bought the 3G model in White. Even the Tech Guys at my office didn't like the white, calling me (in gest i must mention) racist. But i got it in white because i knew EVERYONE would buy the black version so it would be easy to spot mine in the crowd. Oops, I just let out my secret

When it comes to Apple gear I always buy the white model as I think it's classier. Not this time though.

The back doesn't look that bad on the new white ones, it's the front that I just can't get behind. Ick!
  • Reply 12 of 41
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

I highly doubt the "white" or "black" panels will be made of glass... My guess is it will be the same plastic they use on the current models.

I read (somewhere - I thought on AI) that it is a composite material made of a ceramic composite or ceramic-like material. Both plastic and solid ceramic would not seem to work. Plastic, since it would not only scratch but with the new edges could easily get dinged or nicked (no, these are not professional terms). The ceramic would be great for strength and not scratching but is a bit too brittle and usually would be done as a coating on metal or some other substrate (metal would get rid of the obvious reason quoted for the new back - better radio reception) e.g., Rado Watches (http://www.rado.com/en/watches/Pages/index.aspx).
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Guys, please stop using allegedly for everything! After a while it just starts to get funny how much you misuse the word. It has a negative connotation, especially in journalism, where it's used almost exclusively when someone has been accused of a crime. I've been ignoring it for months now, but this is just silly.

Quote:

alleged |əˈlejd|

adjective [ attrib. ]

(of an incident or a person) said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality : the alleged conspirators.

WRONG: Apple is allegedly working on a new AppleTV.

RIGHT: John Doe allegedly committed triple homicide.

WRONG: Apple alleged to be researching front-facing video camera for iPhone, iPad.

RIGHT: John Doe is alleged to have murdered eight people.

WRONG: Apple allegedly working on new iPhone.

RIGHT: Gizmodo allegedly purchased the stolen new iPhone.

A public service announcement.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    I assume everyone else noticed that this back is still likely from a prototype (the XXXX for the part number and the lack of the SRAM size below 'iPhone').
  • Reply 15 of 41
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

I feel like the bunny in:

Everyone Else Has Had More Sex Than Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENnAa7rqtBM

Only with the iPhone 4 instead of sex.

Sorry can't play that here.. It's sad but I live in one of the most censored countries in the world - in Germany .

Also, I really hope that this Metal side is not final, it looks terribly unfinished. Not only the seams but also the way the side of the casing shows up is horrible...

Will probably buy one anyway...
  • Reply 16 of 41
    iyfcalviniyfcalvin Posts: 79member
    I purchased the white iPhone 3G when it came out 2 yrs ago.

Honestly, what does t matter what color it is, black or white? 99% of the people I know and people I have met all had a cover on their iPhone, for protection, color or whatever. In fact, in the two years of iPhone usage, I can't ever remember seeing an iPhone without a cover, with exception of when someone bought their iPhone new and hadn't had time to buy a cover.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

Honestly, what does t matter what color it is, black or white? 99% of the people I know and people I have met all had a cover on their iPhone, for protection, color or whatever. In fact, in the two years of iPhone usage, I can't ever remember seeing an iPhone without a cover, with exception of when someone bought their iPhone new and hadn't had time to buy a cover.

My 3GS is in a case (mostly because it was my first iPhone), but if I get a new one, I don't think I'll get another case. No need to bulk up a good looking, rugged design.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

Because only the rabble use a cover?

Seriously, the kind of people who argue over white versus black (like myself) are purists and design-heads, and no one in that category would ever cover up a beautiful thing like an iPhone with a ten dollar plastic case.

Also, I think you are either living in a very strange place, or wildly exaggerating the amount of folks that use a cover. 99 out of 100? Really? Not exaggerating a bit there?

I see lots of naked iPhones all the time (more like 60/40 IMO), and I imagine that if I lived somewhere where it didn't rain everyday like it does here, there would be a lot more.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    wish there were more colors then black and white.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    babaloobabaloo Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

wish there were more colors then black and white.

Yeah why not the full rainbow of color, I'm not sure why Apple hasn't done this yet... Although from a hardware perspective (and if the rumors are true that is) the new iPhone will have killer hardware, its main disadvantage to typical consumers as of now.