Rumors of Verizon-compatible CDMA Apple iPad with 4G LTE return

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Verizon Wireless is rumored to be testing a CDMA version of Apple's iPad, which could also feature access to the provider's forthcoming high-speed 4G long term evolution data network.

Citing a "highly placed source," Boy Genius Report on Wednesday said that the nation's largest wireless provider was testing the new, unannounced Apple hardware.

"We have been told that the model they are testing is a CDMA-compatible device, and while our source mentioned LTE in some capacity (possibly another model), we haven't been able to independently confirm that part of it," the report said.

The publication took the latest rumor to mean that U.S. customers will "probably" have both the iPhone and iPad available on Verizon's network "very soon."

The rumor comes as AT&T announced it will no longer offer unlimited data plans to new customers for the iPad. Previously, the company charged $29.99 per month for unlimited access, while the new maximum is $25 a month for 2GB of data. Customers who have an existing unlimited plan are not required to change.

Though the iPad ships unlocked, its 3G radio is only compatible with AT&T's high-speed data network in the U.S. That leaves those that attempt to run it on the nation's other GSM-based network, T-Mobile, relegated to EDGE speeds.

Boy Genius Report has had a respectable track record in forecasting AT&T and iPhone related announcements, but some of its Apple rumors have been less than accurate. Last year the site incorrectly indicated iTunes 9 would add Blu-ray support and said Apple would create a social media consolidation application, both times citing a "reliable" source. In January, the site also inaccurately hinted that a Verizon announcement would coincide with Apple's introduction of the iPad.

More recently, the site relayed a rumor that a new Verizon iPhone could run on a Voice over Rev. 1, or VoRA network, allowing simultaneous voice and data connections. Such abilities are not currently available on the carrier's CDMA network, though AT&T's GSM network can handle simultaneous voice and data.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Boy Genius Report ranks alongside DigiTimes with respect to credibility.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Those people are desperate.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Those people are desperate.

I completely agree.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Probably not true.

But would actually make some sense though.

Obviously would not conflict with any existing deal Apple has with AT&T as the iPad is not a phone.

Would also give Apple and Verizon a chance to work with each other. See how Verizon's network does, etc.

I think Apple could also be waiting for Verizon's LTE network to go online.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

The rumor comes as AT&T announced it will no longer offer unlimited data plans to new customers for the iPad. Previously, the company charged $29.99 per month for unlimited access, while the new maximum is $25 a month for 2GB of data.

In other news, Apple is rumored to start providing complimentary lube with every 3G AT&T iPad sold. (and likely with the new iPhone too)

Oh, I knew AT&T was a bunch of back door bandits, I'm just glad everyone now see's what I've learned long ago.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Makes sense - Especially with the AT&T tiered data plan announcement today. I hope Verizon and even TMobile get's the iPhone. I am AT&T customer and I don't like the change.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Probably not true.

But would actually make some sense though.

Obviously would not conflict with any existing deal Apple has with AT&T as the iPad is not a phone.

Would also give Apple and Verizon a chance to work with each other. See how Verizon's network does, etc.

I think Apple could also be waiting for Verizon's LTE network to go online.

That's what I was thinking...it would not be subject to any cell phone exclusivity deal with ATT. It would also make moot the point about simultaneous voice and data on a phone. And if it's not planned until later this year, it would fit in with previous rumors about a chip that could handle both CDMA and LTE networks that were supposed to go into production later this year and be timed with the deployment of Verizon's LTE network into 30 cities by the end of this year.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    pfft, apple can't even build enough of these thing for the AT&T network, now they will build for a CDMA network.... i call BS.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Boy Genius Report ranks alongside DigiTimes with respect to credibility.

they didn't used to but it is heading that way fast

1. the iphone has a 5 year contract, as said by Jobs. there's no signs that it is changeable or was changed.

2. why would they release an unlocked ipad on GSM only and then a CDMA one within a handful of weeks from the start of sales. why not release a device that could do either from day one.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

...why not release a device that could do either from day one.

COST!

Size.

Heat.

Speed.

Reliability.

Engineering effort is much larger.

Support is much more complicated.

more...

\
  • Reply 11 of 22
    greeng4greeng4 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

they didn't used to but it is heading that way fast

1. the iphone has a 5 year contract, as said by Jobs. there's no signs that it is changeable or was changed.

We don't know the detailed terms. AT&T changing it's pricing structure may have given Apple the out they needed.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It is a competitors product not Apple's..

those idiot heard, tablet, and CDMA and connect those dots to Apple. I think it would easier to connect the dots to Dell or HP before connecting it to Apple
  • Reply 13 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That this product has mad it to Verizon should be no surprise either. They would need to test and frankly with LTE support more testing would likely be needed than normal.

The only thing I'm really interested in here is the LTE support. The question is will the LTE radio be backwards compatible with GSM systems. That is could the LTEpad be used on AT&Ts network and 3G networks world wide? If not no sale as the current attraction to the iPad revolves around it's suitability for travel. In this regard a CDMA iPad would be useless.

So actually I'm hopeful that the LTE iPad rumors are true. More so I hope that LTE modem is upwardly compatible with prior GSM systems. Because the only thing of interest here is a LTE based iPad that is operable world wide on the older GSM networks.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Rumor has it the iPhone is coming to Verizz-z-z-zzzzzzz....
  • Reply 15 of 22
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

It is a competitors product not Apple's..

those idiot heard, tablet, and CDMA and connect those dots to Apple. I think it would easier to connect the dots to Dell or HP before connecting it to Apple

It could very realistically be the iPad. There shouldn't be any sort of exclusivity deal since AT&T has capped data. It would make sense for Apple to make it available on multiple carriers.

I just wonder why the iPad isn't available for T-Mobile. AT&T isn't the beginning and end of everything.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon Wireless is rumored to be testing a CDMA version of Apple's iPad,

Can't we get Flurry to tell us if it's true?

• Reply 17 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Makes sense - Especially with the AT&T tiered data plan announcement today. I hope Verizon and even TMobile get's the iPhone. I am AT&T customer and I don't like the change.

AT&T sure looks like they want to smash the bandwidth hogs into oblivion.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I call BS
  • Reply 19 of 22
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Heh, no one dares try to predict that the iPhone would come to T-Mobile. Besides commenters of course I guess they're all banking on Verizon shares heading up in the event that the iPhone really is released on Verizon. But T-Mobile is privately owned, so no wonder they don't get any press
  • Reply 20 of 22
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    [cough, cough, bull, cough, cough, ship]