AT&T caps new iPhone, iPad data plans at 2GB, announces tethering

11213151718

Comments

  • Reply 281 of 359
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post


    Good luck with that. History has shown that the cell carriers in the United States have a duopoly over us. As soon as they realized one carrier could get away with charging for incoming text messages, the rest followed suit. Now you have the recent example of AT&T nearly doubling their ETF just a few months after Verizon did the same.



    They should have done this two years ago. I have made plenty of money by buying iPhones at the subsidized rate and then canceling my account, paying the ETF fee as a penalty. The $325 is much closer to the actual cost difference. So again, it's my fault for taking advantage for AT&T's poor business skills.



    Quote:

    What really pisses me off about this mess is AT&T is claiming that 2Gb is enough for 98% of their customers... but what's the one thing they haven't allowed yet on the iPhone? TETHERING. Once customers are freely allowed to tether, they're going to realize how quickly those 2Gb get used up just by day-to-day browsing. At least Verizon and Sprint give you the courtesy of keeping your phone and your tether data separate when you pay the extra tether fee, but AT&T is combining both devices into the same pool!



    2GB, not 2Gb nor 250MB. Why that would piss that you off is beyond me. Do you think they are lying?



    Customers won't be freely allowed to tether. There is a $20 fee. Will this increase the average data usage? Absolutely, but customers will have to pay for it. Sucks that they charge for much for the "convenience" without any actual data usage increase, but that is their choice. There are 3 other carriers that would love to have your business if you don't like it. At those rates putting my Sierra Wireless 3G USB adapter back in service might be more beneficial is the 5GB is still soft-capped.



    Quote:

    Greatest fricken scam since Scientology.



    For the love of <insert your creator> please don't bring any religion into the forums.
  • Reply 282 of 359
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    While rereading this announcement something dawned on me... and this may have very well been brought up in one of many posts that came before this one.. so forgive me if I'm rehashing old stuff.



    Apple was very quick to tout that the iPad would have a reasonably priced 3G data plan.



    Now 2 months later AT&T pulls the plug on the plan.



    Why?



    1 - Sales on the iPad 3G were NOT as great as Apple indicated to AT&T and it was a contracted 'deal breaker' that gave AT&T the out it needed to revoke the all you can eat iPad plan to anyone not already signed up for it? I'd have a hard time believing this but who knows maybe the 3G demand (that went with the AT&T data plan) weren't as big as they though.. Remember the 3G iPad doesn't insist the user subscribes and as such lots haven't.



    Or how about sales on the iPad 3G were way BETTER than Apple and AT&T expected, and the projected increase in demand for bandwidth would have swamped the network, if too many users took advantage of the unlimited plan?
  • Reply 283 of 359
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Didn't your dad ever tell you, life's not fair?



    No, he never did.
  • Reply 284 of 359
    s6278ms6278m Posts: 5member
    Anybody notice that the plans start June 7th? Same day as the iPhone should be announced....I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumor of iPhone being available same day as it is announced.... Wishful thinking most likely though.
  • Reply 285 of 359
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    It actually makes more sense that the iPad 3G is a success and AT&T recognizes it will further tax their network. Since we know that Apple is selling the iPad as quickly as they can make them, this is far more likely than your scenario.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    1 - Sales on the iPad 3G were NOT as great as Apple indicated to AT&T and it was a contracted 'deal breaker' that gave AT&T the out it needed to revoke the all you can eat.....



  • Reply 286 of 359
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s6278m View Post


    Anybody notice that the plans start June 7th? Same day as the iPhone should be announced....I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumor of iPhone being available same day as it is announced.... Wishful thinking most likely though.



    That has been rumoured for awhile now, but historically they went on sale on a Friday at 5pm. Also, AT&T seems to also start their yearly changes to get ready for the iPhone ahead of Apple's actual iPhone launch. Therefore the earliest I expect to see the IPhone on shelves in the Friday June 11th @ 5pm.
  • Reply 287 of 359
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    That has been rumoured for awhile now, but historically they went on sale on a Friday at 5pm. Also, AT&T seems to also start their yearly changes to get ready for the iPhone ahead of Apple's actual iPhone launch. Therefore the earliest I expect to see the IPhone on shelves in the Friday June 11th @ 5pm.



    Was the OS update available before the new phone shipped last year?
  • Reply 288 of 359
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    Or how about sales on the iPad 3G were way BETTER than Apple and AT&T expected, and the projected increase in demand for bandwidth would have swamped the network, if too many users took advantage of the unlimited plan?



    I see what you're saying but would a contract to provide an iPad with affordable data have an out clause that said AT&T can cancel the plan if the iPad 3G plan sells too well?



    Maybe... OR it could also be AT&T may not have offered Apple any assurance on the long term availability of an 'inexpensive' data plan unless Apple gave AT&T another year of exclusive iPhone access and that wasn't something Apple couldn't (wouldn't?) give them at this time. SO sure they provided a plan that Apple could use at the time of the introduction but had no intention of proving it for more than a few months - a time frame AT&T and Apple agreed upon as the minimum acceptable time frame. Hmm actually since the iPad 3G was sold after the iPad wifi ... its more like one month isn't it. That has to be one of the shortest lived plans AT&T ever rolled out...



    Ah who know... the fact is, the all you can eat deal from AT&T is dead for any new iPhone or iPad 3Gs moving forward. I just wonder if you re-up AND ask/get the new iPhone this summer if you'd still be able to have the old all you can eat plan.
  • Reply 289 of 359
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,865member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Apple was very quick to tout that the iPad would have a reasonably priced 3G data plan.



    Now 2 months later AT&T pulls the plug on the plan.



    Why?



    How about, AT&T misled Apple into believing they would actually offer data plans at those prices, then pulled a bait and switch on customers and Apple.
  • Reply 290 of 359
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    Was the OS update available before the new phone shipped last year?



    According to Wikipedia iPhone OS v3.0 came out Wednesday, June 17th, 2009. That could mean Tuesday, June 16th for some countries or mean Thursday, June 17th.
  • Reply 291 of 359
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post


    I'm a T-mobile subscriber on my phones. The iPad is my first experience with ATT.



    I just spent 2 hours on the phone with 2 idiots and a very defensive 3rd party. In summary, even though I set the iPad up for auto renewal, my ATT account page on the iPad reads "There is no data plan.". So I renewed manually. Received a confirmation from ATT, check my account and I have now paid twice for another month. My iPad continues to tell me "There is no data plan.". It's real, I cannot access the web.



    2 hours later I still have no data plan. I do have a bunch of nonsense that was relayed to me. And, in the end, I got the real story, ATT's systems messed up and did not process the renewals. It will take a day or two to get this resolved. Perhaps.



    This entire experience is my first with ATT and T-Mobile's EDGE looks quite nice to no service at all.



    As far as the cost goes, it's egregious. It's the fact Apple made the 3G iPad for ATT only in this country and ATT is taking advantage of it. Compared to any other place in the world, the cost is an absurdity.



    I am sorry to hear that. Seriously, my customer service experience with ATT has been somewhat better than that. Hopefully, it gets better for you.
  • Reply 292 of 359
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,865member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    It might be very easy to exceed 2GB but so is picking up dog poop and most people won't do either.



    I'll just have to assume that either a) you don't own an iPad WiFi+3G or b) haven't had to use it for anything other than the briefest time on 3G. People who don't pick up their dog poop are simply bad citizens.
  • Reply 293 of 359
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    My opinion is most of the large telcos are in the "Jurassic age" if the y only upgraded their technology over time this king of gouging would be minimal.
  • Reply 294 of 359
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    I'll just have to assume that either a) you don't own an iPad WiFi+3G or b) haven't had to use it for anything other than the briefest time on 3G. People who don't pick up their dog poop are simply bad citizens.



    I used mine on 3G for about 4 hours today- mostly reading news and e-mailing, and used 11MB.
  • Reply 295 of 359
    s6278ms6278m Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    That has been rumoured for awhile now, but historically they went on sale on a Friday at 5pm. Also, AT&T seems to also start their yearly changes to get ready for the iPhone ahead of Apple's actual iPhone launch. Therefore the earliest I expect to see the IPhone on shelves in the Friday June 11th @ 5pm.



    I was in line at 5am for my 3g the day it came out and had it in my hands by 930am....did 3gs debut at 5pm? It didnt have enough upgrades for me to want to buy it so i waited until this year
  • Reply 296 of 359
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s6278m View Post


    I was in line at 5am for my 3g the day it came out and had it in my hands by 930am....did 3gs debut at 5pm? It didnt have enough upgrades for me to want to buy it so i waited until this year



    Are you in the US?



    It's quite possible my memory is slipping a bit...



    edit: Yep, it is.
  • Reply 297 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post


    are you kidding me. The first time a person gets and overage bill for $100 since they didn't realize how much data they used to watch a base ball game on the MLB app, there are going to flip!!!!!!!



    Yes, if you are stupid it *will* cost you.
  • Reply 298 of 359
    s6278ms6278m Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Are you in the US?



    It's quite possible my memory is slipping a bit and only the first iPhone went on sale at 5pm in the US, but I seem to recall 5pm on Friday being the day and time for all three releases.



    Well I know for sure that the 3g was out as soon as the store opened.... but I have no clue about original or 3gs
  • Reply 299 of 359
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    AT&T warns customer that emailing the CEO will result in a cease and desist letter



    http://engadget.com/2010/06/02/atand...lt-in-a-cease/



    Stay classy AT&T. I can't wait for a Verizon iPhone so I can leave your lousy service. In fact I'll take any carrier.



    Randall Stephenson, you are no Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 300 of 359
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post


    AT&T warns customer that emailing the CEO will result in a cease and desist letter



    http://engadget.com/2010/06/02/atand...lt-in-a-cease/



    Stay classy AT&T. I can't wait for a Verizon iPhone so I can leave your lousy service. In fact I'll take any carrier.



    Randall Stephenson, you are no Steve Jobs.



    AT&T has no PR common sense. Put the email address on an auto-trash rule and/or have your emails vetted by personnel with his actual "private" email being separate. For frak's sake, AT&T, it's not that hard!
Sign In or Register to comment.