Nielsen: iPhone users download the most mobile apps by far

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    thekumarthekumar Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

But please note that no other platform in the history of computing has dictated what languages one can use to program for it, or completely forbidden the proven cost-savings that come from cross-platform frameworks.

It's a big gamble for developers: toss out the workflows and methods that have brought the industry this far, only to limit your deployment to a store run by a company that has repeatedly demonstrated a willingness to destroy the value of your investment at any time without notice.

Having been burned once, and seeing more burned every week, fewer and fewer will take on that unnecessary risk for their businesses.

I am one of those developers not willing to risk Apple's review process. I honestly thank Apple for kickstarting this mobile appstore revolution, but I am switching over to the Android platform.

I have an iPhone and an iPad now, and think will just have to settle with developing apps for my own personal use on them that others wont be able to enjoy because of stupid restrictions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

I don't understand the ideology reference, but I'm no philosophy major. Instead of attempting to unravel that obscurity I'll just leave you with this simple business prediction:

Within three years Apple will reverse its stance on cross-platform frameworks for iPhone OS. And by the time they do, they'll already have lost so many developers and VCs to their competitors that it'll be too late to help them.

We'll see....

It's already happening. I think I'm gonna switch over to the Evo 4G when it's released next week (I owned the 2G, and the 3G). Froyo looks pretty awesome, and the apps on android marketplace are more innovative and functional.

1. Android apps let me do a lot more. I work with test phones at work running Android, and their battery life is way better than my iPhone even running multiple apps.

2. As a developer, I like where the Android platform is heading.

3. AT&T's service sucks and the next gen iPhone is just gonna be a video phone where no one can use the video phone due to bandwidth limitations & lack of access.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    thekumarthekumar Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So developers don't like making money.

OK, interesting viewpoint.

The developers who want loads of cash will go with the strongest platform i.e. Apple.

One of the things I hate about the Android Market is all the currencies used, you have pricing in $, £, € and god knows what else, that's why I have never paid for an App on my Magic.

It's not that developers don't like making money... It's just that they also don't like to waste time & money working on something great only to be rejected in the end without reason because Steve Jobs says so. I know it's Apple's product & Apple's market, and Apple's terms of service says they can do so anytime... I just dont think developers will be willing to abide by those terms forever.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

One of the things I hate about the Android Market is all the currencies used, you have pricing in $, £, ? and god knows what else, that's why I have never paid for an App on my Magic.

They've said they plan on addressing that in the Fall when they revamp Android Market. Personally, I don't see why its that big a deal. You're the first person I've heard, who's said that the currency denomination has prevented them from purchasing an app. When it's $1, £1, ?1 is just not that big a deal when you have the option for a refund within 24 hours.

I do agree though, that they need to address this issue eventually. For now, it's just an annoyance.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:

The developers who want loads of cash will go with the strongest platform i.e. Apple.

That holds only so long as the iPhone OS has the largest installed base. If that ever changes, there will be quite the exodus. I am willing to bet that most developers aren't happy with Apple's rules but are stuck with them because of the size of the market. Give them another viable option, and they'll jump. At the rate that Android is growing, that viable option is not going to be that far off. Maybe then we'll see Apple reverse its stance on cross-platform development tools, when hot apps start showing up on other platforms first.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

They're not power to the people Linux, they're top down closed systems like the Xbox, DS, Wii, PlayStation, etc. That's the model Apple is chasing. Google is chasing a Linux model.

You really misunderstand all the models involved. Since when does Microsoft or Sony have to approve games that go on their platforms? They sell the consoles. You can run whatever game you want on there. That's the same for say my Mac at home. Apple sells me the machine. I can run whatever application I want on there. I am not restricted to buying all my Mac software from just the Apple store. And that is in effect what the iPhone OS restrictions are. You get to buy from a short list of Apple approved applications.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

We'll see if ideology + a third rate product wins out over a strong product lacking pretentiousness.

It did for Windows, and it appears to be working for the iPhone OS.

Yes, this is AI and its fashionable in these parts to pretend that nothing comes close. But that's definitely not the case. And won't be the case in the future. Android is only 18 months old. Look at how far they've come. I wouldn't say that they've surpassed the iPhone OS. But they are the 90% solution for the vast, vast majority of users.

And on the hardware side, there's handsets that are already trumping the iPhone. And the beauty about having many vendors competing is that even when the new iPhone comes out, it'll be beaten on hardware within a month or two. A common OS means that OEMs are competing with each other on hardware. So you can expect significant gains here.