AT&T data changes seen as benefit for BlackBerry over iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WaltFrench View Post

Two responses:

First: I can see the ad campaign: “If you're watching your smartphone data pennies, the Blackberry gets you 15% more email on the same data budget!” Sure to be a winner, alright.

Second: the article did reference an announcement about some technology that'd compress regular web pages. Although Google gave me no background, I used something like that on my old dialup earthlink account. A royal pain; images were smeared to save bandwidth. Sometimes, you could see that the servers weren't doing anything because the page looked like it should. The biggest data hogs were incompressible (audio) and would be even more so today (video). I guess if my data were all text emails, and locking into the 2002 Internet was my thing, this'd be a Big Deal. But even we corporate droids wouldn't see any advantage when the Office emails me a new spreadsheet or presentation deck.

Conclusion: this “advantage” is almost totally irrelevant to today's internet.

I do remember there was a heavily marketed service, NetZero offered one. I recall there was a turn-key computer package that ISPs could buy to provide this, and some of them charged a little extra for the service.

Hypothetically, audio and video can be recompressed on the fly, it probably wasn't worth it with the computing power available then, and not worth it now with the bandwidth available now.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

BBs can't do half of what the iPhone can, and this analyst is just trying to push Apple stock down.

The President of the United States runs the country with a Blackberry.

Got an app for that?
  • Reply 43 of 95
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    That doesn't make any sense. These changes will make the iPhone more affordable and more people will buy it. I think people overlook the fact that those new data plans are for ALL smartphones and PDAs. Everyone was complaining that the iPhones data plan was too expensive since the 3G data plan announcement in 2008.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That doesn't make any sense. These changes will make the iPhone more affordable and more people will buy it. Everyone was complaining that the iPhones data plan was too expensive since the 3G data plan announcement in 2008.

Number 1 of Rule of Internet Forum Posting: Bitch first, think later
  • Reply 45 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's bitch first, then bitch again later. There usually is no think. With some people, it's bitch yet again even after being shown wrong a few times over.
  • Reply 46 of 95
    Quote:

I will be switching to the $15/month plan but not before the new iPhone announcement. I want to see the new offers first. My data usage:

iPhone #1:

Dec'09: 110MB

Jan'10: 131MB

Feb'10: 61MB

March'10: 64MB

April'10: 202MB

May'10: 148MB

iPhone #2:

Dec'09: 93MB

Jan'10: 20MB

Feb'10: 65MB

April'10: 133MB

May'10: 104MB
  • Reply 47 of 95
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's bitch first, then bitch again later. There usually is no think. With some people, it's bitch yet again even after being shown wrong a few times over.

I think people just have a comfort zone when they see the word "unlimited". If ATT said they were going to cap the data plan at 250gb people would still be upset because there is still a "limit".

After being in technology for 22 years I still find it interesting that in many ways service based technology keeps going up while hardware based technology drops like a rock.

I do believe that prices needs to start dropping when it comes to data because data plans are almost becoming a requirement to get any decent phone. Its going to come to a point where family plans are going to get so out of line that many families simply aren't going to be able to afford the plan.

A good example is Verizon now requiring 9.99 data plans on multimedia phones that in now way should require a data plan. I mean an LG Chocolate requiring a data plan thats out of control.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:

I will be switching to the $15/month plan but not before the new iPhone announcement. I want to see the new offers first. My data usage:

iPhone #1:

Dec'09: 110MB

Jan'10: 131MB

Feb'10: 61MB

April'10: 202MB

May'10: 148MB

iPhone #2:

Dec'09: 93MB

Jan'10: 20MB

Feb'10: 65MB

April'10: 133MB

May'10: 104MB

Just looking at that quickly all that combined didn't equal 2gb
  • Reply 49 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Just looking at that quickly all that combined didn't equal 2gb

Yeah. We have WiFi at home and work.
  • Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:

Yeah. We have WiFi at home and work.

My wife is the one that concerns me she is without a doubt a 3G data hog. She needs an App on her iPad that says "Can you please put me down so I can rest".....lol
  • Reply 51 of 95
    Interesting. It isn't that BlackBerry phones use less data—they use the same amount of data doing the same things—but rather that those things are less enjoyable (or simply not possible) on the BlackBerry. So this analyst's theory is that people will, uh, use the BlackBerry because—hell, I don't know. He's talking out his ass.

That said, I'm usually just under 200 MBs/month. With Pandora running in the background, I'll float in over 200 MBs/month. Saving $5/month won't be a terrible thing. AT&T can screw off for charging a tethering fee without offering extra tethering bandwidth, though.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Boo AT&T. We should ALWAYs find the negative. AT&T always is out to screw us. We should ALWAYS find the negative. Mommy and daddy said so. AT&T only wants to screw customer, that is the only reason they exists. Mommy and daddy said so. We should ALWAYS find the negative. We should spend our lives complaining. We should ALWAYS find the negative. Everything should be free or the exactly what WE want (to abuse). We should ALWAYS find the negative. Who cares if a business exists to be a business (AKA be profitable, only Apple should be profitable!!!!) We should ALWAYs find the negative. Bitch about me taking the time to post this. Yet you take the time to bitch each and every $$$$'ing day. Grow up and stop the drama. I am SOOOOOOOO sick of all the bitching just for the sake of bitching.

How about we discuss Apple and the technology itself. Not bitch, just discuss it.

No fun in that right... No popular train to jump on and bitch right???

Wake the hell up and find something positive to talk about good grief!

So many of us are so sick of all of this bitching. Get over it.

If you don't like AT&T don't friggen use them and STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We really don't give a damn about the few of you that care nothing more to create as much (WORTHLESS) drama as possible.
  • Reply 53 of 95
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    I was about to say the same thing. Blackberries would use less data for the same experience as an iPhone? Yeah right. There's only so much data you can cache, after that you will have to transmit something, and the iPhone is pretty efficient at doing that. So I was curious as to how this analyst came up the conclusion that since Blackberries are feature limited and they use less data because of that feature set, that when they become full featured they somehow don't use the same amount or more data than an iPhone.
  • Reply 54 of 95
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

what are people doing with their phones that 2G wouldn't be enough data? I use my iPhone all of the time and my history shows I've never gone over 400 megs, and typically am under 200 megs.

Yes that may be trie but change that to video conference or jailbroken teethering and it goes way up. In fact, the video chat will be 10 times more than your typica teethering browsing. Does this count for people who buy the new phone or for just those that are new. If for both, I think it's time to look at other smart phones and maybe that's why msft is predicting it will do so well if video chat eats a lot of bans width.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, and yes.

Moreover, ATT must be quite worried (and perhaps legitimately so, given past experience with iPhone uses) that the tethering will put them over the edge.

i think ATT should give additional data for those who will be using the iphone with tethering. perhaps an additional 1gb of data, for a total of 3gb. this should satify many users out there. i for one would feel better if this was the case, instead of the same 2gb limit even with tethering. i mean come on, were already paying for the data usage, why not get a little back for an added cost???
  • Reply 56 of 95
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Every iPhone users, even the LOWEST usage iPhone user; uses over 200MB every billing cycle.

This means AT&T is going to double bill/charge per MB every single iPhone user.

Also the data cap doesn't apply TO ANY EXISTING customers, only new accounts opened when everyone rushes out to buy the new video iPhone.
  • Reply 57 of 95
    stormjstormj Posts: 42member
    These must be the same analysts that said that every thing was good news for John McCain.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:

That was one of the features, playing HD video. The next iPhone and Touch should also be able to load and play 720p video.

Also, I don't think you can DL any video from the iTS over 3G at this time, SD or HD.

PS: Technically, the 3GS and iPad should be able to decode full HD 1080p60 Blu-ray, if the rumours of the VXD390 decode sister chip is being used with the SGX535 GPU are correct. Of course, power is always an issue, unless it's a new TV.
    VXD390 is capable of decoding full high-definition H.264 L4.2 (1080P60) and can decode multiple streams simultaneously to fully meet Blu-ray and other multi stream decode requirements. It has industry leading low frequency requirements, typical H.264 High profile streams being decoded with a clock rate of just 70MHz.

Thought the rumor on the Video decoder was the VXD375 based on the driver software.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Wow, AT&T really screws you guys in the US. Here in the UK I pay O2 £10/month ($14.60) for unlimited data. (apparently it actually is unlimited, but I've never downloaded more than about 500-600mb in a month) Plus for my £10 they throw in 12,000 SMS messages too.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steffi View Post

Just think how iAd is going to work? They are going to push advertising to your iphone that essentially uses up your limited quota for the month. That's going to be met with a lot of resistance.

That's actually a great point...why should I pay for bandwidth used to benefit others...in an unlimited world you wouldn't think about that. I can picture a "cellular subscriber bill of rights" baby!!!