Apple yanks widget apps, likely to add feature to iPhone OS 4

Comments

• Reply 61 of 176
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    ok thanks, we have enough food on the table at the moment, give us some time to digest it and be enthralled by android.
  • Reply 62 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post

THIS IS TO ALL THE TROLLS:

We like our iPhones. We have already looked into the Android OS and were not interested. Heck, we may all still keep up with Android news because it's tech and it's interesting; but we like our iPhones. Android is open and has interesting features; but we like our iPhones. We have encountered dozens of trolls just like you who have come around Apple tech sites/forums/whatever and have tried to evangelize in the name of Android; but, we like our iPhones.

In conclusion, we like our iPhones. Eventhough you may not be excited about these new features to the iPhone OS/UI, WE ARE and we will continue to be. Apple may be late to the party, but history has shown that their implementation is better that their competitors. We are excited that everyday we get the chance to use an unbuggy operating system that has apps that don't manipulate the end user. Though Apple may be a closed system, it makes me feel safe everyday that noone is stealing my data.

Please leave the forums. You know why? Because, we like our iPhones

Keep drinking that koolaid.
  • Reply 63 of 176
    Lets get back on topic. The question remains is how will it be implemented? I would like the first home screen to be widget customizable. That would be neat. I would also like to be able to customize widgets in the lock screen as well.
  • Reply 64 of 176
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Good point, I think to me it's more important that any widget functionality can be overlayed on the lock screen, than anywhere else. Otherwise you might as well use an app. Widgets are marginally useful on OS X, maybe some minority has integrated them in their workflow, I haven't, but I might in the future. But they will be very helpful if you they could come up on the lock screen as you said, so you say quickly check a weather, stock, rss, or other widget.

Apple still need to think this out properly, and I am sure they will, and not go the android way of having features for the sake of having features.
  • Reply 65 of 176
    I love how the author of the article hijacks his own topic to foray into the bizarre premise that a nearly complete lack of personalization is somehow a feature.
  • Reply 66 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitelyimprobable View Post

Have you actually read any documentation on the new APIs Apple is introducing for background processing? They describe pretty much what was just said.

With some significant differences. Check out the specs for each. One is actual multitasking, the other more like kids playing "Freeze".
  • Reply 67 of 176
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I can see where Apple might (possibly) be coming from. Maybe there?s not much harm, though, in letting potentially-redundant apps succeed or die on their own merits (since I?m not aware of any huge flood of successful apps like this).

I agree 100%. With the current Anti trust issues hovering over Apple's head, they also need to consider if this is competing with what these developers have done and effectivly locking them out of the market. It's not really fair to the developers for adding a GUI functionality enhancement and then being told sorry, but you can't do that anymore, because we are making that enhancement and not allowing you a chance to compete against it. It the apps are not successful and do die off, fine, but that just seems a little rude and unethical to take someones idea and shut them out. That sounds anti competitive.
  • Reply 68 of 176
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post

I agree 100%. With the current Anti trust issues hovering over Apple's head, they also need to consider if this is competing with what these developers have done and effectivly locking them out of the market. It's not really fair to the developers for adding a GUI functionality enhancement and then being told sorry, but you can't do that anymore, because we are making that enhancement and not allowing you a chance to compete against it. It the apps are not successful and do die off, fine, but that just seems a little rude and unethical to take someones idea and shut them out. That sounds anti competitive.

If apple is implementing a widget API, wouldn't these developers just have to resubmit their apps as widgets?
  • Reply 69 of 176
    What was the topic of this thread again?
  • Reply 70 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If apple is implementing a widget API, wouldn't these developers just have to resubmit their apps as widgets?

Well yes, developers could resubmit widgets, but the one who created the interface for the widgets gets kicked to the curb. It's also forcing developers to have to re-write code on an unnatural cycle. Also, anyone with older devices that don't have the new OS get locked out of feature they used to have.
  • Reply 71 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post

THIS IS TO ALL THE TROLLS:

We like our iPhones. We have already looked into the Android OS and were not interested. Heck, we may all still keep up with Android news because it's tech and it's interesting; but we like our iPhones. Android is open and has interesting features; but we like our iPhones. We have encountered dozens of trolls just like you who have come around Apple tech sites/forums/whatever and have tried to evangelize in the name of Android; but, we like our iPhones.

In conclusion, we like our iPhones. Eventhough you may not be excited about these new features to the iPhone OS/UI, WE ARE and we will continue to be. Apple may be late to the party, but history has shown that their implementation is better that their competitors. We are excited that everyday we get the chance to use an unbuggy operating system that has apps that don't manipulate the end user. Though Apple may be a closed system, it makes me feel safe everyday that noone is stealing my data.

Please leave the forums. You know why? Because, we like our iPhones

The problem is that the articles linked to these forums appears on Google News among others. Unless Appleinsider.com is blocked from Google, you are always going to get undesireable people reading and posting. Because Google and Microsoft users have to put up with trolling from Apple users in their forums, you can expect disgrunteled Google and Microsoft users seeing an article in Google posting comments if they feel what they support is being slandered or lied about. Your best response is ignore those people and don't act like they exist unless they post something sensible.
  • Reply 72 of 176
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justsomedude View Post

Im sorry but the apps in Android can continue to ruyn in the background unlike the iPhone. lets not make up stuff here.

You are missing the point. The how is not important. From my perspective as an end user, my "app" runs in the background. Work is done, music streams, my gps apps update - all the stuff I care about happens. With mnimal impact on my battery. I care far more about that then some esotaric and philosophical discussion about "real" multitasking.

Which from you comments it's clear you don't understand what that means, nor how multitasking on Android works either.
  • Reply 73 of 176
    Quote:

Apps have been taking advantage of multitasking on the Androids since day one, and what do you know the battery life is the same on the androids as is on the iPhones. So i guess battery is not an issue. Oh and let me add with the recent addition of flash support in the browser for Android the battery life is amazingly the same. So i guess its really the OS that matters. This thing just keeps on getting better and better.

Yeah, I have to agree (happily). With flash enabled I can't see any difference in battery life.
  • Reply 74 of 176
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member
    Quote:

No sir it is not the same. I urge you to look into it, maybe some youtube videos on the workings of the Android Multitasking process. There is a great video of a Dev that explains the process. if i find the link i will post. Not only is Android years ahead, the iPhone at its core kernel canot/does not do multitasking like Android does. Also the iPhone has tethering in Europe but its not native it is given by the carrier Deutsche Telekom for example in germany. Please dont lie.

Sorry if i come off as a troll but im just stating the facts, feel free to look up all that i have said. The truth hurts.

Think about it, is it really necessary for the iPhone to have multitasking like Android? I haven't spent much time using Android, but in my opinion, multitasking was probably the most annoying feature for WM devices back in the days. Opening just 2-3 apps significantly reduced the processor speed and sometime froze up the device. I've been using an iPhone for over 2 years and I couldn't care less about not having multitasking. I can still do work, check mail, play games and go on with daily life just fine without multitasking.

As Steve Jobs said in his Keynote, "it's easy to implement multitasking in a way that eats up the system resources...and to drain the battery life..." (sorry I can't remember exact speech).

Quote:

Android rules and is taking over, wait it already did.

The last I heard, iPhone market is still bigger than Android in the US, isn't it? Anyway you shouldn't consider just the US market. We have HTC, Motorola, and other Android devices selling in Thailand now, but just about everyone you see using smartphones either have iPhone or BB.
  • Reply 75 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

What apple fans go to windows forums? Are you deluded, 98% of the time the exact opposite happens.

Banning is also a bitch. Mods here use a gentle hand to moderate, but they are not too keen on trolling. You 've hijacked this thread, you are posting one post after the other...this is not polite behaviour.

there's forums for windoze? man i'm oblivious! lol
  • Reply 76 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I might use the weather widget I've been using for almost fifty years.

I call it "looking out the window?".

Hmm, the ground looks wet, the sky is grey, perhaps I'd better take my umbrella.

Bah! If it's not raining, no umbrella shall get past my door!
  • Reply 77 of 176
    Quote:

Also let me add that Android is only in ver 2.2, and iPhone is in ver 4 and still Android just beat it in terms of sales this first quarter of 2010 in the US and Taiwan. Can you imaging what will happen when Android hits ver 4. WOW.

En contraire mon fraire....search this: "Apple responds to Android sales, says NPD data doesn't tell whole story"
  • Reply 78 of 176
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I could see widgets being far better suited towards the iPad than iPhone. With widgets and multitasking, I wonder what the potential hit is to battery life and performance considering widgets seem to always be running in the background on the Mac.

first if Apple was smart they would provide for a way to turn off Widgets entirely.

Even if they don't do that they can pretty much do whateverthey want to manage power usage. For example the could limit run time to once a minute or every ten. Maybe make it configurable so that the user could have a weather app run every half hour and a clock update every minute.

I know many will cry out NOoooo but iPad could really use a CRON like utility. What I'm thinking here is starting up apps so they can update their data to have it ready for when the user wakes up in the morning. That is start up your favorite newspaper app and have the latest edition with your morning coffee no waiting. Properly done you would be able to populate the machine with all the required info with no user intervention.

It will be interesting to see exactly how these widgets operate. Ideally they would always be running in background to some extent. Some widgets could be designed to replace full blown apps and reduce the need for a cron like utility.

In any event I'm not to worried about power usage here. Forone Apple is sensitive to the issue. Further like anything you don't need to run widgets anymore than you need to multi task. The greatest impact to battery life is still in part a function of the user.

Dave
  • Reply 79 of 176
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't think they will be on the desktop, it will be a zoom-in, zoom-out thing like on the Mac.

Like the article says, that allows you to have widgets but still keep the basic look of the desktop the same across all devices. So someone can just sit down at an iPad - any iPad - and straight away know how to use it.
  • Reply 80 of 176
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

No sir it is not the same. I urge you to look into it, maybe some youtube videos on the workings of the Android Multitasking process.

I hope you where looking in the mirror when you made that statement. To put it simply the iPhone kernel is derived from the same kernel driving Mac OS/X. Even today it is fully multitasking capable.

Quote:

There is a great video of a Dev that explains the process. if i find the link i will post. Not only is Android years ahead, the iPhone at its core kernel canot/does not do multitasking like Android does.

Well of course not Androids kernel is derived from a heavily hacked Linux kernel. Apples is a BSD/Mach system. So no they aren't exactly the same but they aren't that different either.

Quote:

Also the iPhone has tethering in Europe but its not native it is given by the carrier Deutsche Telekom for example in germany. Please dont lie.

Funny you tell people not to lie but post after post from you is either trolling lies or the result of extreme ignorance.

Quote:

Sorry if i come off as a troll but im just stating the facts, feel free to look up all that i have said. The truth hurts.

The problem is you have not spoken the truth. The question is; is that due to trolling or ignorance? I'm going to suggest that you really need to learn about what iPhone actually does, from Apples developers site, before putting your faith in the comments of an Android developer. It is pretty clear that you are of a weak mind and easily steered by others.

Quote:

Android rules and is taking over, wait it already did.

For cell phones Android pretty much sucks, it's real potential lies with tablets competeing against iPad. Note too that Android has gotten a lot better recently but it still doesn't offer up the fluidity and reliability of Apples iPhone OS based devices. It probably never will unless Google gets more agressive with the implementers. Android is quickly turning into a cluster flock.

Dave