Get a 3G iPad anyway??

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I currently have a 3G 32gig iPad on reserve waiting to be notified by apple when it comes in. I wanted the 3G just as insurance. I plan to only use 3G in emergencies, and mostly use wifi since I live in NYC, and there are many wifi spots. But when I do surf the net, I really use it ALOT, so I liked the no contract/unlimited option of the 3G.

Then yesterday, just 1 month after the release of the 3G, ATT cancels their unlimited data plan!

So now I'm thinking should I cancel my order for the 3G?

I know the ipad is unlocked. And am wondering, if Apple announces that Verizon will also be offering ipad and iphone services in the near future.....would you be able to swap out the ATT micro sim 3G card in the current ipad and just put in a Verizon micro sim?

Thanks for any feedback

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    I would cancel the iPad, not just because I detest the thing and everything it represents, but to send a message this sort of bait and switch tactic by AT&T is uncalled for.

You can always get one later when your head clears, perhaps just the wifi model will do for you.

Think to yourself, how many emergencies, where you need 3G, occur each month to justify the extra cost and headache of dealing with the devil AT&T?

I quit their raping of my backside years ago and been much happier since. Just like giving up annoying Windows PC's and going Mac.

I got areas of free Wifi mapped in my computer in case I need it.

http://www.wififreespot.com/

If your considering a long distance trip where only 3G is available then the iPad 3G will work, so will a laptop connect card from many phone companies, with a contract of course.

Perhaps you'll realize your laptop is much more ergonomically friendly, runs Flash, allows user control of their own machine and software, it also protects itself when closed.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

... And am wondering, if Apple announces that Verizon will also be offering ipad and iphone services in the near future.....would you be able to swap out the ATT micro sim 3G card in the current ipad and just put in a Verizon micro sim?

Thanks for any feedback

Nope. The iPad has a GSM radio in it. To work on VZ would require a CDMA radio. The two networks aren't compatible. TMobile is the only other GSM carrier in the US. I haven't heard of anyone using them with an iPad... But haven't looked for such info either. I couldn't even confirm that the iPad isn't locked to ATT right now. You might want to verify that.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    That happens to be the model I have. I can tell you honestly, you would be a fool to cancel your order. As for AT&T, I am pretty sure they saw two million iPads being sold in less than two months and loaded their collective pants. That story is far from over. Regardless, an iPad without 3G is worse than an iPod touch. I had the original iPad and sold it as soon as the 3G model it the streets and never looked back. If you get it and don't like it, trust me, they are the easiest item to ebay. You have nothing to lose.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Apple updated their site.... says if you ORDER your iPad 3G by June 6, you can sign up for unlimited when you finally get it!!! Woo! Hoo! thought I was screwed! Pass the word!!!

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=OTY2ODA0NQ#

It's in small print under the data plans.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Apple updated their site.... says if you ORDER your iPad 3G by June 6, you can sign up for unlimited when you finally get it!!! Woo! Hoo! thought I was screwed! Pass the word!!!

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=OTY2ODA0NQ#

It's in small print under the data plans.

Good deal, but one has to keep their account active every month. Miss a payment or stop and your on the new limited plan.

Since AT&T switched up, likely they will switch up again once their network gets even more overloaded.

They might even not honor grandfathered customers eventually.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    AT&T has really caught a ton of people off gueard with the announcement of their recent changes to data plans. And you shouldn't cancel your iPad order, hopefully AT&T will get their act together.