Post your highest monthly iPhone data use here!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm curious to see how real use stacks up against the new 2GB plan limit. Let's see how many of us actually use more than that.

Log into your AT&T account and view your last eight months of usage, and post the highest amount here.

Mine's 368 MB - way less than I expected.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) You should have an option for "0 - 200 MB" since that is a billing option.

2) I voted for "5+ GB" but my average is considerably less. I've thought about it and I was tethering during those two excessive months.
    Month. . Usage

NOV-09 . 719 MB

DEC-09 . 401 MB

JAN-09 . 1.6 GB

FEB-09 . 6.1 GB

MAR-09 . 284 MB

APR-09 . 288 MB

MAY-09 . 232 MB
    3) Good article by David Pogue.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    1) I probably should have, but I didn't realize that and I wanted to leave room at the high end.

2) Did they get on you about the 6.1 or no? I'm just curious.

3) Yes, that's an excellent article. Thanks for the link!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

2) Did they get on you about the 6.1 or no? I'm just curious.

Nope! AT&T doesn't list anything else than what I posted but I spent a couple years using dozens of GBs a month tethering. I had several months that I was in the 40GB area. Never a call, not a warning, never a throttling, nothing. The only reason I stopped tethering was because the update I thought I choose to only DL also installed, thus updating the baseband. Oops.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nope! AT&T doesn't list anything else than what I posted but I spent a couple years using dozens of GBs a month. I had several months that I was in the 40GB area. Never a call, not a warning, never a throttling, nothing.

How greedy of them!

• Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

How greedy of them!

Yeah, I certainly took advantage of their network. I found a loophole and exploited it, yet I never felt entitled to it. I read a lot of comments about Tethering should be included on an unlimited account. That is BS. I have no problem with them setting caps. It's there choice. If they had canceled my account and charged me the ETF fee I wouldn't have been pissed with AT&T as I was clearly breaking my contract with them.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Yeah, I certainly took advantage of their network. I found a loophole and exploited it, yet I never felt entitled to it. I read a lot of comments about Tethering should be included on an unlimited account. That is BS. I have no problem with them setting caps. It's there choice. If they had canceled my account and charged me the ETF fee I wouldn't have been pissed with AT&T as I was clearly breaking my contract with them.

Caps are one thing and are probably necessary but why shouldn't tethering be included in capped plans, given that you have paid for the full use of your cap? Tethering might result in your using more data, but it isn't a given. Tethering is just using your data connection in a manner which might (likely) result in you using more of the data that you have fully paid for.

Not including tethering is simply a restriction on your usage to make it less likely you will use what you have paid for. It is no different than if they decided that the new plans would be evenings and weekends only. If you want week days, then you ought to pay extra since obviously if you are able to use data during the day you will be using it in a manner that is more likely to result in you using more of the data that you have paid for.

I really don't understand how people can accept the rationale that you should pay extra for tethering simply because it make it more likely that you will use the data that you already paid for. "Here is a bucket of water. You have paid for the whole bucket full, it is yours. But if you want to take big gulps of your own water, you will need to pay a gulping fee"
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Caps are one thing and are probably necessary but why shouldn't tethering be included in capped plans, given that you have paid for the full use of your cap?

I would like them included in capped plans. I don't think AT&T or any other carrier should be required to allow them, but because they are "capped" I see no problem with them allowing tethering. They might even get more people paying the additional $10 by going over their limits. The $20 fee for presumably software and tech support doesn't seem justifiable.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

I would like them included in capped plans. I don't think AT&T or any other carrier should be required to allow them, but because they are "capped" I see no problem with them ignoring tethering. They might even get more people paying the additional $10 by going over their limits. The $20 fee for presumably software and tech support doesn't seem justifiable.

It's their business model, they certainly have the right to add this restriction. But it the acceptance of it by some people as justified because it will reduce load on the network is crap. Certainly it will mean that AT&T will be paid at least twice for the same data for whomever needs or wants to tether. But for those that do, they will still put the load on the network. They only certain difference is that AT&T will make more money, as they have the right to do.

It is exactly the same as if they rolled out plans that had restrictions on time of use for your data. It might reduce load on the network, but the only sure result would be the carrier being paid twice- once for your data allotment and once for being able to use it as you choose.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    I voted even though I don't have an iPhone. Last month I used 5.2GB on my iPod Touch, via a MiFi-like device. I use it for Facebook, IM, and some browsing. I never use Youtube or download movies or even songs. I paid US$25 for all this data usage.

I'm sure if I had an iPad I'd use 10GB. Even so, I'd still be paying US$25 for data. It's unlimited. Which means unlimited. Not capped. Free. Like a bird.

I'm damn glad I don't live in the US!