Apple's current iPad software won't allow iPhone tethering

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
When AT&T customers in the U.S. finally have access to tethering on their iPhone, it won't work with Apple's iPad due to software limitations, not AT&T policy.

Reports surfaced online Thursday that tethering between the iPhone and iPad would not be possible. AppleInsider contacted AT&T, and was told that the matter is a question for Apple, as the iPad apparently does not allow tethering via USB or Bluetooth.

"This is not a policy issue," an AT&T spokesman told AppleInsider, deferring to Apple for further information on the subject.

Apple's own documentation on tethering for the iPhone 3GS with iPhone OS 3.0 and up states that it is only possible through a USB cable or Bluetooth. But prior to the release of iPhone OS 4, tethering is not yet available on the AT&T network in the U.S.

The news confirms what Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs allegedly said via e-mail in March. A user asked Jobs if the iPad would be able to tether with the Wi-Fi iPad, to which the company co-founder succinctly replied, "No."

While the reports seem to confirm that 3G tethering via Bluetooth is not available on the iPad, it is possible that Apple could add the feature to the iPad via a future software update. It's also possible that an iPhone software update could allow tethering over Wi-Fi, as some other smartphones currently do.

AT&T announced on Wednesday that it would allow tethering on the iPhone when OS 4 arrives. Users must pay $25 per month for the high-end plan with 2GB of data per month, plus an additional $20 to allow tethering. The feature allows customers to share their mobile 3G Internet connectivity with another device, such as a laptop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    That's a lie been doing it since day ipad came out
  • Reply 2 of 88
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Google recently showed an Android phone acting as a mobile WiFi base station for an iPad. It is dumb that you will be able to do this with an Android phone but not an iPhone. Come on Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 88
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exodus7days View Post

That's a lie been doing it since day ipad came out

They don't mean jailbreaks. I expect AT&T doesn't care as long as you pay them $45 a month for 2GB limit.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Google recently showed an Android phone acting as a mobile WiFi base station for an iPad. It is dumb that you will be able to do this with an Android phone but not an iPhone. Come on Apple.

This is a different form of tethering. It would be cool though. What I'd really like to see is GPS information forwarded by wifi. The Cradlepoint access point devices will do it, but the google maps app doesn't know how to interpret it.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    sofabuttsofabutt Posts: 99member
    I don't get why people are refuting the truth of the article by claiming that it works over wifi. The article states that tethering will not be possible via bluetooth or USB.
  • Reply 6 of 88
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I totally agree. Apple should remove that restriction.
  • Reply 7 of 88
    out of 5 months 3 of them have been over 3gb other 2 below 2gb it's crazy how they want to hustle everyone and I have a feeling that when this new iphone is annouced it will need a change in plan in order to use the feature which my guess will be ichat and all of us grandfathered plans will be forced to switch plans or go with out feature quote me on this
  • Reply 8 of 88
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    The whole tethering debacle with AT&T is a clusterf**k now, and I don't know how ANYONE can be happy with it.

1) AT&T gives you 2GB to work with for $25 [OK, fine]

2) AT&T charges you an extra $20 a month for "official" tethering [OK, fine]

3) However, even though you are paying extra for tethering and AT&T even says that those who tether use more data, they still cap you at the same 2GB as those who don't tether [*&^$ YOU AT&T!]
  • Reply 9 of 88
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    SJ also said the iPad will have unlimited plan for $30/month. Things can change.. if they want to change them.
  • Reply 10 of 88
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Can you pay to tether if you keep your old unlimited data contract, or do you have to give that up?
  • Reply 11 of 88
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The whole tethering debacle with AT&T is a clusterf**k now, and I don't know how ANYONE can be happy with it.

1) AT&T gives you 2GB to work with for $25 [OK, fine]

2) AT&T charges you an extra $20 a month for "official" tethering [OK, fine]

3) However, even though you are paying extra for tethering and AT&T even says that those who tether use more data, they still cap you at the same 2GB as those who don't tether [*&^$ YOU AT&T!]

yes bad pr move on their part to let you tether, but give you no minutes to tether. So it's not a data service your paying for ... it's a convenience. A very expensive convenience.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Just one more thing on the list of what you can't do within the ipad's walled garden. A shame for a revolutionary device that will change computing forever. If that is indeed what the ipad is.

I'll stick with a real Mac and an air card from Verizon.
  • Reply 13 of 88
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Can you pay to tether if you keep your old unlimited data contract, or do you have to give that up?

AFAIK, you have to "downgrade" to DataPro to enable tethering. And once you've downgraded to DataPro, there's no way to reinstate the grandfathered "unlimited" plan.
  • Reply 14 of 88
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    I probably never will. It would cut into the 3G sales. Of course MYFI on my jailbroken iPhone works perfect so Stevie can continue to deny and I will continue to do.
  • Reply 15 of 88
    We've have iPhone tethering in Canada. It is terrific with my MacBook. I can make Skype to landline calls with the tethered MacBook over the iPhone.

With the iPad: No tethering and no Skype to landline calls using the iPad 3G.

All intentionally crippled. By whom? Hard to say.
  • Reply 16 of 88
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

This is the genius of the new att plan, you can have the grandfathered unlimited plan without tethering. If you want to tether, you lose your old unlimited plan and must go with the 2gb plan + tether.

Either way you look at this plan, you are screwed....and att will be smiling as they do it.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

I don't get why people are refuting the truth of the article by claiming that it works over wifi. The article states that tethering will not be possible via bluetooth or USB.

Sadly, this confusion is just going to get worse and worse. Fifty bucks says that by the time this thread is done, half the posts will be about wifi hotspotting and not bluetooth/USB tethering. (two very different things from a technological standpoint)

the iPad has no problem getting onto mobile wifi-hotspots, regardless of the source (cell phone, overdrive, mifi, miwi, whatever). this article is not about that.

I blame the Canadians.

(why? because I can)
  • Reply 18 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Just one more thing on the list of what you can't do within the ipad's walled garden. A shame for a revolutionary device that will change computing forever. If that is indeed what the ipad is.

I'll stick with a real Mac and an air card from Verizon.

Two words: first generation.

Why do some Mac lovers employ the language of trolls when they don't get everything they want right out of the gate? A little patience, please.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    stlbluesfanstlbluesfan Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

This is the genius of the new att plan, you can have the grandfathered unlimited plan without tethering. If you want to tether, you lose your old unlimited plan and must go with the 2gb plan + tether.

Either way you look at this plan, you are screwed....and att will be smiling as they do it.

The vast vast vast majority of iPhone users are not interested in tethering. I have no problem seeing the few data hogs who want to tether pay much more for that service.
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Apple devices are characterized more by what they have left out as what they do put in. They cost more, and do a bit less--but they do everything exceedingly well, and most importantly, easily. This makes Apple devices the best choice "for the rest of us."

Competing platforms "geekify" their devices--loading them up with every option and possibility for tweaking in order make it appear that you are getting more bang for your buck. The trade off is that you also get a half baked OS that is filled with rat holes that non-geeks can easily fall in to. This means that grandma and brother-in-law are constantly calling you to ask how to solve their problems with these devices.

Simple elegance versus complex options. It's up to you.