Apple hanging Moscone Center banners for WWDC 2010

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has started preparing San Francisco's Moscone Center with banners for its Worldwide Developers Conference being held next week [Updated Friday with more photos].

Workers finished laminating the giant Apple logo on the convention center's east wall of windows, and have hung the main banner for "WWDC10," which focuses entirely on iPhone OS apps. It is identical to the "center of the app universe" image posted in Apple's invitations and on its http://developer.apple.com/wwdc website.

The majority of the conference sessions pertain to the iPhone platform, which will get its fourth major reference release, alongside the highly anticipated fourth generation of the iPhone.

Mac OS X is still featured in a variety of WWDC sessions, but no major announcements or demonstrations about the next 10.7 version are expected this year as Apple focuses its attention on its mobile devices, including the iPod touch and the new iPad, which set a new record of 2 million units in just two months of sales.

Apple has entirely abandoned its IT conference track focusing on servers and mass deployment, giving it more opportunity to accommodate the quickly growing audience of iPhone OS developers. The conference beings next Monday June 7.

Update: AppleInsider reader Brandon Mensing snapped additional photos on Friday, as workers put up another Apple logo on the side of the Moscone Center:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    It's just like Christmas for Apple Geeks !!!

My wife seen this story and emailed it to me, she kindly slipped in some instructions to purchase her a new toy for the office !

Me on the other had got to pick out my office gift last time \

Exciting !!!
  • Reply 2 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Hmmm...... The background image does look like the AppleTV screen at startup when you reboot.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    I want! Maybe a trifle busy for a desktop wallpaper - but totally fun!

• Reply 4 of 48
    nanotechnanotech Posts: 38member
    I'm still sad that they have no love for mac this wwdc.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmmm...... The background image does look like the AppleTV screen at startup when you reboot.

My thoughts exactly! Especially when Stevo at the D8 down-played the TV/Cable 'go to market' scenario. I hope Apple has something to announce....I mean some enterprising douche bag CEO at one of the cable companies has to sign on with the largest Tech company in the world....don't they?

Best

Ps. Solipsmn, Quado, Steviio1, Macchrusinn, Anakk....? ru out there? Am I right?
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post

Hello! Macs are 'trucks!' Haven't you been listening.?

Yep, go ahead and be in your dark little room with your iMac/MacPro slaving away and be so proud you can tell everyone you have a 27" screen. Big Whoop!

Me?

I want to be out-and-about with my iPad, iPhone 4G and MBA!

That's where the chicks are, not stuck in a cubicle or office!

If you're in a cubicle or office, a girl will have to 'parachute' thru the roof before you are going to meet her!

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Best

Ps. Solipsmn, Quado, SpanSanwhich, NasserAE, Steviio1, Macchrusinn, Anakk something, something...? ru out there? Am I right?
  • Reply 7 of 48
    7600/1327600/132 Posts: 51member
    Quote:

I understand how you feel, but based on how Apple has been taking longer and longer between each OS X release, I wasn't expecting 10.7 until around August 2011 anyway.

This year may be all about the iPhone/iPad, but next year will bring back the Mac, 'cause if they don't :shakes fist:
  • Reply 8 of 48
    macnzmacnz Posts: 1member
    Quote:

mmmm - perhaps the slow down means OSX is done now

That was only half a joke - I personally don't think there is much missing!
  • Reply 9 of 48
    stormjstormj Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

...except: it has iPhone apps in the display.

So, if I were going to be super fanboyreffic, I would say this sounds like the iPhone OS based AppleTV is coming. Based just on that picture. Of a banner. (=
  • Reply 10 of 48
    "center of app universe" + apple tv screen. Hmmm ATV SDK?
  • Reply 11 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Hello! Macs are 'trucks!' Haven't you been listening.?

Yep, go ahead and be in your dark little room with your iMac/MacPro slaving away and be so proud you can tell everyone you have a 27" screen. Big Whoop!

Me?

I want to be out-and-about with my iPad, iPhone 4G and MBA!

That's where the chicks are, not stuck in a cubicle or office!

If you're in a cubicle or office, a girl will have to 'parachute' thru the roof before you are going to meet her!

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Best

Ps. Solipsmn, Quado, SpanSanwhich, NasserAE, Steviio1, Macchrusinn, Anakk something, something...? ru out there? Am I right?

At most I'll buy an iPad for portability and presentations. Otherwise, I'll be doing serious work, at home/work, on a Mac Pro, Xserve, Mac Mini [depending on what they produce], AMD systems for Linux and more.

I have absolutely no desire to compensate for a penis by having a multitude of portable products.

When I get an iPhone it won't be until after the 4G has gone through serious testing by you folks.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I have absolutely no desire to compensate for a penis by having a multitude of portable products.

Too funny!
  • Reply 13 of 48
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

At most I'll buy an iPad for portability and presentations. Otherwise, I'll be doing serious work, at home/work, on a Mac Pro, Xserve, Mac Mini [depending on what they produce], AMD systems for Linux and more.

When I get an iPhone it won't be until after the 4G has gone through serious testing by you folks.

We're sure you're a fine contributor to making Apple such a great development environment, but you realize that Joe Consumer doesn't care a whit about what you do?

On the other hand, Apple cares very much what Joe Consumer does, and really hopes that Joe Consumer will buy a multitude of portable products.

Oh, and we won't let you truly know how we feel about the iPhone 4G until LLVM has been heavily qualed for a year or two by Apple software QA. (Perhaps it has nothing to do with iPhone development, but that doesn't matter to us at this point.) Perhaps at that point, it will be included in 10.6.5. Or maybe its inclusion will be delayed to 10.6.6.

Thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    No, that is one Apple serious Apple sticker. Would look good on the end of my house
  • Reply 15 of 48
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7600/132 View Post

I understand how you feel, but based on how Apple has been taking longer and longer between each OS X release, I wasn't expecting 10.7 until around August 2011 anyway.

This year may be all about the iPhone/iPad, but next year will bring back the Mac, 'cause if they don't :shakes fist:

Yeah.. but what about Hardware release. MacPros are long Over due, and the professional Video Industry is waiting to see if Apple is going to do anything to appease the BluRay crowd. It's seriously hurting Apple every day they put off supporting BluRay officially.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    Friday would be great timing for an Apple product refresh (Pro, iMac, Mini), just prior to WWDC. :
  • Reply 17 of 48
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

That was fine a few years ago when loads of things needed to be done but I think it's time they just stabilize, secure and optimize the system that we have. That's why some parts of Windows work better like the graphics drivers.

The mobile OS needs the big updates just now, 10.6 really doesn't. Apple have made the jump to 64-bit almost seamlessly and they have OpenCL in there with every feature you could possibly need.

I can't think of a single feature that Apple could put in that is glaringly missing. They need to fix security by sand-boxing the installer process like I said for years because now there are malware developers targeting it:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/m...h-spyware/6560

They need to fix ASLR so it's not easy for exploits to run. The graphics drivers will hopefully be updated with 10.6.4.

Until people start saying what features they need in 10.7 that can't be issued in an update, then 10.7 isn't needed right now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay

Friday would be great timing for an Apple product refresh (Pro, iMac, Mini), just prior to WWDC.

The Mac Pro likely won't arrive until late June but they could announce it at WWDC. The iMac likely won't get a major refresh as there aren't many new chips to use, I'd say just a switch to 320M in the lowest model and the Mini switches over. Possibly the MBA too. The product refreshes don't usually coincide with WWDC though.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

My wife seen this story and emailed it to me, she kindly slipped in some instructions to purchase her a new toy for the office !

Exciting !!!

I just can't stand the first 45 minutes of Apple sell back patting and how many iPhones they've shipped, how many apps they've sold how many ipads now. Geesh. Just get to the meat of the WWDC. The shareholders know what's what. Lol
  • Reply 19 of 48
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Exciting !!!

I just can't stand the first 45 minutes of Apple sell back patting and how many iPhones they've shipped, how many apps they've sold how many ipads now. Geesh. Just get to the meat of the WWDC. The shareholders know what's what. Lol
  • Reply 20 of 48
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Shareholders want financial figures.

WWDC is not an event where Apple discloses major financial data. That's reserved for SEC filings and the usual analyst conference calls after quarterly results are announced.

Note that Apple does not announce new product during financial earnings reports. Most companies avoid that because they could be accused of burying bad economic news with new product announcements, a tactic that might draw the ire of the SEC and possibly result in hefty fines and shareholder lawsuits.