Apple's current iPad software won't allow iPhone tethering

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Shocking... Truly Shocking
  • Reply 62 of 88
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Once tethering is official you can do it to the iPad via a 3G cellular USB router. Hook up iPhone and turn on wifi hotspot. Aluratek makes one with a li-ion battery that will not have the iPhone burn through its battery as myfi does.

No jailbreak necessary. No fear of software updates.

Works well with Rogers official tether. Now if only Apple could disable wifi access on iPad...
  • Reply 63 of 88
    modul8trmodul8tr Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Once tethering is official you can do it to the iPad via a 3G cellular USB router. Hook up iPhone and turn on wifi hotspot. Aluratek makes one with a li-ion battery that will not have the iPhone burn through its battery as myfi does.

No jailbreak necessary. No fear of software updates.

Works well with Rogers official tether. Now if only Apple could disable wifi access on iPad...

What model of the Aluratek do you use? Is it something small and easy to to carry in a small bag?
  • Reply 64 of 88
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Tethering? I could not care less at this point. However, if the need ever arises, this restriction can definitely be circumvented - gooooooo Geohot!
  • Reply 65 of 88
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Right, but they were discussing iPad 3G. Why worry about tethering that to a 3G phone? It's got it's own. Maybe I'm missing something? Really, not being sarcastic or bitchy, just want to know.

Well, if you already have an iPhone and opted for tethering for the iPhone, and if it will work with the iPad 3G, you won't need to subscribe for a separate "3G", for the iPad 3G -- just use its Wifi capability??? Just speculating here.

If the story is correct, that is not allowed for iPhone to iPad tethering. Others claim that you could do it with other phones, like the Android. I heard the same.

But, this possibility would be moot for iPhone/iPad owners who do not want to shift to other smartphones. So, these Apple mobile gadget owners are pissed. What was not being considered were the ramifications, which are not necessarily beyond the realm of possible reason(s). For example, Apple did not allow multitasking until they resolve the problems assoicated with multitasking using iPhone OS devices. Offhand, I do not have to technical expertise to speculate about these possible reasons. Security issues, perhaps??? Other reasons???

I have played with the demo of the iPad several times in the Apple Store, so the nuance of its field operation remains a mysetery for me.

There are events I am awaiting before I buy my iPad. I am tempted to get one now, especially before my visit to California next week, but the last time I went to the store, no stock.

I am inclined to buy the iPad 3G myself, when I do buy one, to ensure 3G connection (temporal ATT subscription) only when and whereever needed.

CGC
  • Reply 66 of 88
    The bigger issue here is if there data is correct and the mass majority use less than the 2gb cap whats that say about there infrastructure on there 3g network if it's bogged down and spotty now. Won't it still be bogged down and spotty later? I think the answer is yes.

Also I noticed AT&T mentioned that this tethering thing is an apple problem now ( I didn't really read the whole article) but from the short bit that I caught isn't this just saying that AT&T jumped the gun ahead of Apple. Now Apple has to play catch up which makes them look a little bad?

all in all F AT&T in fact F all the cellular companies in the states, overseas cell plans are better in my opinion. Even if Apple releases an iPhone for Verizon, Verizon has already stated that there 4G network will capped and you'll pay for the data. Either way still screwed, just that your reception may get better. YAY im stoked at getting screwed either way. Oh well I'm happy my iphone is on a pay as I go. no contracts or outrageous bills to pay

keep up the good work Apple, just choose your partners better.
  • Reply 67 of 88
    Tethering impossible? <shrugs and continues listening to Dutch radio app in the background while simultaneously typing this reply on his jailbroken iPad tethered to his jailbroken iphone>
  • Reply 68 of 88
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I have a lot of respect of Apple for its achievement but THIS IS A JOKE!!! Two devices from the same company using virtually the same OS can't work together while someone else's device just work???? WTF Apple????
  • Reply 69 of 88
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

So you are just trying to be cheap, yet blame Apple and AT&T?

What's wrong with being cheap? I have Apple products and we already pay up the ass for our iPhone plans. So sue me for wanting to save $60 a month. It's a heck of a lot of money for a student working part time. It's hard enough to buy the products in the first place.

I'm not blaming them, it would just be nice if they treated us like other countries' carriers treated their customers. It's obviously too much to ask when people like you call people like me cheap and have no problem paying their outrageous fees. Sorry for wanting to save a few bucks that could, you know, buy groceries. A one-time purchase is one thing but a monthly fee is something different.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple loses next to nothing in allowing the iPhone to be a hotspot. Its just AT&T losing money and I could care less if they do. It's not like they're incredibly popular.
  • Reply 70 of 88
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Singapura View Post

Tethering impossible? <shrugs and continues listening to Dutch radio app in the background while simultaneously typing this reply on his jailbroken iPad tethered to his jailbroken iphone>

Using this as a challenge, decided to test and see how hard it would be to do this.

1. googled iphone 3gs jailbreak.

2. 5 min later, downloaded spirit.

3. Unzipped spirit, opened app and clicked on jailbreak. About 3-5 min process.

4. iphone reboots, jailbroken verified by cydia app on the phone.

5. launched cydia, downloaded mywi.

Total time involved 15-20 min.

Conclusion: I am become darth iphoner.
  • Reply 71 of 88
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

What's wrong with being cheap? I have Apple products and we already pay up the ass for our iPhone plans. So sue me for wanting to save $60 a month. It's a heck of a lot of money for a student working part time. It's hard enough to buy the products in the first place.

I'm not blaming them, it would just be nice if they treated us like other countries' carriers treated their customers. It's obviously too much to ask when people like you call people like me cheap and have no problem paying their outrageous fees. Sorry for wanting to save a few bucks that could, you know, buy groceries. A one-time purchase is one thing but a monthly fee is something different.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple loses next to nothing in allowing the iPhone to be a hotspot. Its just AT&T losing money and I could care less if they do. It's not like they're incredibly popular.

If money is that tight, you should consider getting a TRAC phone, or other pay-as-you-go phone, and only using iPad on WiFi.

This is the US, not Europe. I guarantee you wouldn't be happy with European cell service, either.

Has anyone checked to see if iPad is even capable of tethering, without significant battery drain? There could be a hardware issue behind this.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    reedyreedy Posts: 1member
    If AT&T allows the iPad to tether, then apple will as well. a simple carrier or software update will enable it
  • Reply 73 of 88
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    This is an Apple issue. Nothing to do with AT&T.

IPhone Tethering has been available in the UK since 3.0. But the iPad can not be tethered to iPhone via Bluetooth or USB because Apple have chosen not to implement that.

This deliberate omission gets us to the bizarre situation where Android users may tether iPads while iPhone users can not.

Apple can fix this in software, either by introducing WiFi base station functionality on the phone or by enabling Bluetooth functionality on the iPad.

Until that happens, users who find this situation unacceptable can solve the problem themselves.

1 jailbreak with Spirit

2 install MyWi from Cydia

3 pay for it - This entire process takes 10 minutes and is entirely reversible.

C.
  • Reply 74 of 88
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    There is absolutely no reason to tether an iPhone with an iPad. You need two devices to get online? You can't pony up for the 3G iPad---but you can afford both devices?

Tethering a laptop is another matter. I agree that 2GB cap after paying a $20 fee is RIDICULOUS.
  • Reply 75 of 88
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

There is absolutely no reason to tether an iPhone with an iPad. You need two devices to get online? You can't pony up for the 3G iPad---but you can afford both devices?

Tethering a laptop is another matter. I agree that 2GB cap after paying a $20 fee is RIDICULOUS.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? In one breath, you're questioning the need for two devices to get online, then in the very next breath, you say that tethering a laptop is OK. And besides, doesn't nearly everyone have their cell phone on them most of the time anyway? So of course you're always gonna have two devices if you use an iPad or a notebook.

What's the difference? The iPhone supports Bluetooth tethering. The iPad supports Bluetooth. Apple doesn't want to add trivial Bluetooth networking support to the iPad because -- well, they're Apple.

If you're gonna tether with your laptop, you can leave the iPhone in your pocket and work with your laptop in your lap or on a table. If you wanna tether with an iPad, you could theoretically leave the iPhone in your pocket and walk around/sit down with the iPad.

Apple just wants you to spend the extra $130 and AT&T wants another $25/month from you. I say why if the hardware/software support is already there (just disabled for the sake of being douchey)
  • Reply 76 of 88
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Why is tethering a laptop a different matter? You can't pony up for the 3G stick for your laptop --- but you can afford both a laptop and an iPhone?
  • Reply 77 of 88
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

There is absolutely no reason to tether a laptop with an iPhone. You need two devices to get online? You can't pony up for the laptop with 3G built in?

Tethering a laptop is exactly the same.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    stlbluesfanstlbluesfan Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Okay, and that's fine. My only issue on the thread (and it may not be a part of that particular post) is that people shouldn't complain about the lack of tethering on the iPad WiFi, when you can get 3G functionality by buying the other model. Buy the one that meets your needs, don't buy the one that doesn't and complain that Apple is not allowing some kind of workaround.

Makes sense to me.
  • Reply 79 of 88
    stlbluesfanstlbluesfan Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macrooster View Post

The bigger issue here is if there data is correct and the mass majority use less than the 2gb cap whats that say about there infrastructure on there 3g network if it's bogged down and spotty now. Won't it still be bogged down and spotty later? I think the answer is yes.

Well, if you ignore the small minority that's responsible for 40% of the usage (as you've done) I suppose that makes sense.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    Thank goodness for MyWi.

AT&T/Apple can do/charge what they want and allow what they want.

That sums it up.