Apple highlights interactive capabilities of HTML5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 319
    delreyjonesdelreyjones Posts: 335member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

No, YOU'RE really stupid if you don't realize that they simply want these demos to work well with a tested browser and to give a good first impression. Full HTML5 support will eventually spread to other browsers. It's also Apple's demo, and they have the right to promote their own products. Just move on if you don't like any of this.

I agree with you. A lot of people see a glimpse of the future and they find it frightening and/or confusing. As usual, Jobs is showing us where the puck is going. The hoi polloi will understand eventually, but we have to give them time.
  • Reply 22 of 319
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

I agree with you. A lot of people see a glimpse of the future and they find it frightening and/or confusing. As usual, Jobs is showing us where the puck is going.

Way back in the day, Macs shipped with mice, and people bashed them, because they weren't already standard. A couple of years later, every computer made basically shipped with a mouse.

People will bash for the sake of bashing.
  • Reply 23 of 319
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    I missed the point of the "manipulate 360-degree photo": it is not any kind of 360-degree photo but an image sequence made of 72 photos showed thru java script, nothing specific to HTML5...

I am still waiting for any kind of vectorized animation or calculus intensive task from Apple to show us how "brilliantly" HTML5 Canvas and plain JS compare with Flash. I won't hold my breath.
  • Reply 24 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Hmmm does not work on HTML 5 enabled Chrome or Firefox, when trying to introduce people to HTML 5 as a future replacement for Flash might be best not to force them to download your browser if the one they are currently using already supports HTML 5!

Still, works great on my iPad.

Maybe you should know what you talk about. Both Mozilla and Google support a limited implementation of HTML 5 - mostly HTML 5 video.
  • Reply 25 of 319
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

No, YOU'RE really stupid

Quote:

You're obviously clueless

Quote:

Back off, you idiot.

• Reply 26 of 319
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Great stuff!

I'm currently redesigning my old website halabalu.com using iWeb '09 (having used Frontpage 2001 on PC).

I wonder how I can go about using HTML5 in my own site - or am I going to have to wait for iWeb '10?

You can use the'HTML Snippet' widget of iWeb.

I used it to add 'jquery' transitions to my website. Works great.

J.
  • Reply 27 of 319
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpwi View Post

Apple seems to be confusing Webkit-specific CSS extensions with actual HTML5.

As a web developer, I love the extensions, but they're also largely worthless to me, since they don't work in the majority of browsers. Apple could really make people care if they were to work on getting other browsers to adopt the extensions.

This is the exactly correct. If windows ie users can't view this stuff, then it's worthless on desktops. I think there is potential on mobile devices. Someone needs to explain to me why program in html 5 when about 10% of the windows users are still using 10 year old browsers?
  • Reply 28 of 319
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Showcasing how these extensions work in Safari is how Apple is pushing Chrome and Firefox to adopt these functions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpwi View Post

Apple seems to be confusing Webkit-specific CSS extensions with actual HTML5.

As a web developer, I love the extensions, but they're also largely worthless to me, since they don't work in the majority of browsers. Apple could really make people care if they were to work on getting other browsers to adopt the extensions.

• Reply 29 of 319
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Now if we could have a Cupertino built html editor...

That's iWeb. Wait for version 10.

J.
  • Reply 30 of 319
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Does this mean that AI will soon stop using Flash on its web site?
  • Reply 31 of 319
    You are completely wrong. The other browsers don't support all of these functions. So supporting them is useless. Apple is pushing every other browser to adopt these functions.

This is primarily a page for developers. The first thing to do is to show how it all works.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

All of what you said is for naught. You SHOULDN'T have to explain Apple's position. It should be abundantly clear. If Apple wanted to showcase how HTML5 is the future, they should have posted up the demos on the main page that actually WORK WITH MULTIPLE BROWSERS instead of putting up Safari-specific demos and a "hard check" saying that only Safari is supported and you must download Safari in order to see it work.

It totally blows a hole in their argument by doing something like this. Whatever happened to "It just works". Pointing to developer pages and having to specifically point out what browser supports what is something that man people are critical about with the "Windows Clan".

• Reply 32 of 319
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

Look people. There are parts of the HTML5 spec that only Safari currently supports. Both Firefox and Chrome are behind, hence the requirement for Safari.

THe Chrome & Firefox developers should speed up their implementation of the draft spec as it currently stands.

As a side note, if you visit http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/ you can view the demos in other browsers. Some of the functionality won't be there, but they'll work for the most part.

No, this is BS on Apple's part - HTML5 isn't even finalized, and these demos are pretty weak to begin with. Otherwise, some only load in Chrome with a user agent switcher.

Showcasing features that only work in one browser, while clamoring about being 'open' is hypocrisy at its finest.

BTW, this is my favorite HTML5 site:

http://mugtug.com/darkroom/
  • Reply 33 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

That was hilarious. Thank you.
  • Reply 34 of 319
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Never mind Chrome and Firefox not being able to see/use the demo (despite already being HTML compliant), none of the Macs at my work could view the demo in Safari either.

Then when I get home and try the demo on my iMac, sure it works, but it's hardly anything newsworthy. I mean, video doesn't even do full screen? WTF?
  • Reply 35 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You are completely wrong. The other browsers don't support all of these functions. So supporting them is useless. Apple is pushing every other browser to adopt these functions.

This is primarily a page for developers. The first thing to do is to show how it all works.

Umm, the HTML5 landing page is linked from the Apple main page -- this is to hook regular consumers into testing out HTML5.

This is the page for developers:

http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/

I would argue that if you're gonna have a link off your main page directing consumers to try your HTML5 stuff, you would better support other browsers with your demos.
  • Reply 36 of 319
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

Maybe you should know what you talk about. Both Mozilla and Google support a limited implementation of HTML 5 - mostly HTML 5 video.

Fair enough statement, however Apple should make this clear on their site (doesn't hurt to push Google and Mozilla) and should allow the parts that are compatable with Chrome or Firefox to work without forcing you to grab Safari.
  • Reply 37 of 319
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

This is the exactly correct. If windows ie users can't view this stuff, then it's worthless on desktops. I think there is potential on mobile devices. Someone needs to explain to me why program in html 5 when about 10% of the windows users are still using 10 year old browsers?

If you feel you need to reach 100% of web users, then you should stick to basic HTML, and probably HTML3, no javascript, no css, no flash. If you are interested in doing something interesting, or in monetizing your website, then you should simply ignore that 10% as they will simply hold you back and don't represent any significant revenue opportunities.
  • Reply 38 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

No, this is BS on Apple's part - HTML5 isn't even finalized, and these demos are pretty weak to begin with. Otherwise, some only load in Chrome with a user agent switcher.

Why do they need to wait until it is finished to get developers to begin to use it? There are several technology standards that are used before they are fully ratified.

Quote:

Showcasing features that only work in one browser, while clamoring about being 'open' is hypocrisy at its finest.

There is nothing that prevents other browsers from adopting these features. The reason it only works in Safari is because Safari is adding them faster than any other browser.
  • Reply 39 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Never mind Chrome and Firefox not being able to see/use the demo (despite already being HTML compliant), none of the Macs at my work could view the demo in Safari either.

Then when I get home and try the demo on my iMac, sure it works, but it's hardly anything newsworthy. I mean, video doesn't even do full screen? WTF?

I'm running Chrome 5.0.375.55 (final release) on OS X 10.6.3 and can play the demos available on the main page except for the first and last one (Tron video and Apple Store VR tour).
  • Reply 40 of 319
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

This is really stupid on Apple's part. When you're trying to say how open standards are better, don't force users to download your browser - you've totally undermined your position!

I hope Apple pulls this embarrassing page quickly.

Have you ever created a CMS or a browser? Or created a website? The demos shown require scripts to be written, e.g., as modules, to illustrate each example show.

That script has to be made compatible and optimized with the CMS or in this case the browser itself. This will include ensuring the the CSS will also work with the CMS or the browser.

If you ever created a website, you will find for example that the same script will not always work completely with various browsers There might be nuanced difference even among the more common browsers that adhere to the latest standards HTML. Ir you use a browser compatibility site to view your creation, what you may view based on the "same module script" will have nuanced differences if you view them in Firefox, Safari, Camino, Opera, Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc.

Usually, the most notorious and problematic with the resulting layout presentation are the various versions of Internet Explorer because Microsoft deliberately tweaked what it used to serve as html.

If you join any template sites, what you will find are problems ecountered by users of the template relevant to the resulting layout of the created template with respect to the various browsers.

What the developer of the template must then do is optimize the script to find a compromise that would then at least provide a lyout that would be decent for the more commonly used browsers and htheir various versions. This may include all sorts of tweaking, e.g., some Java scripts integerated to instruct --

"if an IE6 is used, ignore certain CSS specifications and use these alternative CSS"

You actually do not see such plain language instructions, but the javascript to instruct the "server" what to execute.

For demos like this, for the masses, who simply view stuff. and not aware of all the hopps must go through to view an intented optimize layout, it must select a version of a specific browser. And optimize the script and CSS specifications of that module for that browser.

At this stage, Apple cannot force the browser creators to ensure that the various versions of the browsers still in existence to upgrade or modify their browser scripts to be optimized for the html5 demos created by Apple.

[A good non-Apple example of this is Google's You Tube. Since it is very time consuming and very difficult to ensure that the You Tube videos with all existing versions of the more common browsers, it opted to select speicific versions of browsers that are actively supported by the creator. Thus, Google decided not to support IE6 (not sure if there are older IE that it does not support for the You Tube videis. If you have an old computer or using older versions of certain browsers, you would have seen a warning months ago that Google You Tube will no longer function properly with certain browser versions,]

Since Apple owns Safari, it then opted to optimize it for specific versions of Safari. For example, some of the modules may use certain version of QuickTime to work for videos (perhaps as default) if your computer does not have certain applications required by the script.

I have Safari in my old computer but the demo requires a later version of QuickTime that in turn was optimized for certain versions of the OS for Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome, etc. The OS of my old computer is below the minimum requirement, so I can download but not be able the compatible QuickTime required. All the other applications used must also be the appropriate version to work, Therefore, I cannot use my old version of Safari to view the Demo.

CGC