Apple hanging Moscone Center banners for WWDC 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    will OS 4.0 be available to download on te 7th or will it be available later?

I want multitasking already >.<
  • Reply 22 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I suspect so. I can't see why iPad won't get the same features too.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

It will be available either just before hte release of the new iPhone or just after it. So probably not on the 7th, more likely the end of June or beginning of July when the new iPhone is released.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Slow news day, huh?
  • Reply 25 of 48
    sippincidersippincider Posts: 410member
    Apple should put up a few Google and Microsoft banners, maybe even an Android one. Then take them down just before the doors open.

A cruel trick, but it'd be fun to watch the fireworks.

Edit: Also hang a single Verizon banner, just for kicks.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I can't think of a single feature that Apple could put in that is glaringly missing.

I can think of quite a few. For starters, it would be nice if Apple would their Mail application to give the option of widescreen preview. I've tried WideMail and Letterbox and I keep having major problems. I know Mail is NOT the same as OS X, but when was the last time Apple added features to Mail that didn't coincide with an OS X release?

If Apple can give widescreen preview to the iPad and MobileMe, why can't they give a LONG OVERDUE feature to Mail on the desktop?!
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Better Font Handling

Here's another one. FontBook needs to be able to auto-activate fonts for all applications, especially for designers using Creative Suite.

Currently using Suitcase Fusion which is fine most of the time but a pain when it acts up.

Apple, get your fonts in order. Fonts in System/Library, User/Library, HD/Library, User/Library/Application Support.

Start by naming ALL System fonts different from installed versions so I can avoid conflicts when using Helvetica Neue in designs. Tired of overriding System Fonts and getting outlines ones in Widgets when I switch to Dashboard.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post

I'm still sad that they have no love for mac this wwdc.

Well, there's a new HDMI Mac Mini in the works, possibly an updated MBA and almost definitely an updated MacPro...

Possibilities abound.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Slow news day, huh?

Damn, you beat me to it. I mean, wtf? A news story about hanging banners at an annual conference at a known location, on a known topic, and (guess what) the banners say the expected things...!? C'mon...
  • Reply 30 of 48
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Even if you get 4.0 on the 7th you will not be able to use multitasking with the currently available apps. Developers will need to build and submit updated binary of their apps using iPhone 4.0 SDK to support the new features (including multitasking). Apple is not accepting apps build by iPhone SDK 4.0 beta yet.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I just can't stand the first 45 minutes of Apple sell back patting and how many iPhones they've shipped, how many apps they've sold how many ipads now. Geesh. Just get to the meat of the WWDC. The shareholders know what's what. Lol

You do realize that it is WWDC, and that Apple is speaking to DEVELOPERS, most of whom care very much about how many iPhone/iPod touch/iPad owners are out there, and how many credit card numbers are in the iTunes/App Store.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I suspect so. I can't see why iPad won't get the same features too.

Apple has already said that iPad won't get the 4.0 features until September.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Slow news day, huh?

Um, no, AI does the WWDC banner story every year.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacinScott View Post

I can think of quite a few. For starters, it would be nice if Apple would their Mail application to give the option of widescreen preview.

Better Font Handling

Both of those things can be done in a system update. Auto-activation is in Font Book in the preferences but I don't know if it works correctly nor if it disables fonts when they are not being used.

To reword what I said before, I don't think there are enough features currently needed that warrant a major release that people have to pay for.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Apple has already said that iPad won't get the 4.0 features until September.

Were they that specific? I thought they said later this year in the fall or something a little more vague.

But its sort of a bummer. Just got a pad and would love to get 4.0 right away, but, at least it will be like having a new product come Q3 !
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I have absolutely no desire to compensate for a penis by having a multitude of portable products.

Bit of a leap there, no?
  • Reply 37 of 48
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Even if you get 4.0 on the 7th you will not be able to use multitasking with the currently available apps. Developers will need to build and submit updated binary of their apps using iPhone 4.0 SDK to support the new features (including multitasking). Apple is not accepting apps build by iPhone SDK 4.0 beta yet.

that's ok I want the new dock and wallpapers too. and I NEED folders. I have too many apps
  • Reply 38 of 48
    donarbdonarb Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I just can't stand the first 45 minutes of Apple sell back patting and how many iPhones they've shipped, how many apps they've sold how many ipads now. Geesh. Just get to the meat of the WWDC. The shareholders know what's what. Lol

Well, developers do care how many iPhones and iPads have shipped. It helps them gauge whether it is worth it to target certain devices for their apps.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I have absolutely no desire to compensate for a penis by having a multitude of portable products.

So do you have a vagina instead?

Seriously you're an idiot.

I can tell you now that most of my "serious work" is currently being done on my iPhone because I need access to my e-mail and Bento as I am a field engineer who goes all around the greater Wellington region in New Zealand fixing customer's PCs, Macs, and EFTPOS machines.

Being tied to a desktop is a pain and a laptop is too bulky for me to carry around easily while I'm carrying parts and tools. The iPad will give me a great deal more real estate as well as giving me access to the information I need when I need it.

Don't say the iPad isn't capable of real work when clearly you're nothing more than a desk jockey. Some people actually do do "real work" instead of look at screens all day.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacinScott View Post

FontBook needs to be able to auto-activate fonts for all applications, especially for designers using Creative Suite.

Apple, get your fonts in order. Fonts in System/Library, User/Library, HD/Library, User/Library/Application Support.

That's not Apple's fault but the developer's fault. Apple has set places for fonts system wide and user specific but when your app doesn't use the system frameworks (a la Adobe) then it stands to reason fonts are going to be a mess.