Classic vs. nano

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Not sure which to buy. I will be using it at home. I wonder if the nano is too small to use comfortably.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

Not sure which to buy. I will be using it at home. I wonder if the nano is too small to use comfortably.

Any opinions?

Could just be me, but I think the Classic has a deeper more accurate sound than the Nano.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    The Nano is fantatic. It's not at all uncomfortable to use.

The only reason you should get the Classic instead is for the capacity.

The Classic is right for me, as I absolutely need the capacity. For someone who has a lot of media, 16GB just doesnt cut it when you can get 160GB instead for just $70 more. For my wife, however, the Nano is perfect.

I doubt there's any perceptible difference to 99% of people in the sound quality.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I guess I should play with them at the Apple Store or Best Buy. I have big hands so the size of the nano concerns me. I don't have tons of music but the extra capacity would be nice. I'll try to see if I can notice a sound difference.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:

I guess I should play with them at the Apple Store or Best Buy. I have big hands so the size of the nano concerns me. I don't have tons of music but the extra capacity would be nice. I'll try to see if I can notice a sound difference.

Use a good pair of earbuds, like Klipsch.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    The Classic for non-physically active, bulk content. Needs a GOOD case.

I would Disk Utility Erase with Zero the Classic drive before placing content on it, to catch bad sectors. Also enable Disk Use and copy your entire iTunes folder over to it once in awhile for a extra backup.

My Classic is a few years old and still in like new condition because of the quality case.

The Nano if your going to be physically active with it.

For best sound you can't beat a Toslink from your Mac to a decent 5.1 or 7.1 that enables surround sound from stereo. The Harmon Kardon home theater systems do that.

They also make a very nice sounding portable stereo for the iPod, the Harman Kardon - Go & Play.

New model should have had the low power bug fixed and be compatible with the newer iPods. Don't get caught buying the cheaper older version at $299 etc. Also don't max blast it, it ruins the speakers, like any system really.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...dp_ob_title_ce
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Use a good pair of earbuds, like Klipsch.

I don't like buds, I just ordered the Koss Portapro headphones and also considering Schure or a Sennheiser Model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

The Classic for non-physically active, bulk content. Needs a GOOD case.

I would Disk Utility Erase with Zero the Classic drive before placing content on it, to catch bad sectors. Also enable Disk Use and copy your entire iTunes folder over to it once in awhile for a extra backup.

My Classic is a few years old and still in like new condition because of the quality case.

The Nano if your going to be physically active with it.

For best sound you can't beat a Toslink from your Mac to a decent 5.1 or 7.1 that enables surround sound from stereo. The Harmon Kardon home theater systems do that.

They also make a very nice sounding portable stereo for the iPod, the Harman Kardon - Go & Play.

New model should have had the low power bug fixed and be compatible with the newer iPods. Don't get caught buying the cheaper older version at $299 etc. Also don't max blast it, it ruins the speakers, like any system really.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...dp_ob_title_ce

Thanks for the info
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I just went to the Apple Store. The classic is much easier to handle and use, so that's the one! In black.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I don't like Classic and Nano!But if I have choice, I think it's Nano!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I exchanged my new nano for the classic because the nano was just too small for my hands.

I connected the classic (man, the usb cable stinks-for something that is pvc free supposedly , it reeks!) and it was really slow to get to the registration process.

I registered it and when it was done it came up in the listing, format=windows. WTF? I have a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard.

I am synching my music now and it is taking a lot longer than the Nano. I assume it'sbecause of the larger drive but it is REALLY slow.

Any of these issues normal? Thanks
  • Reply 10 of 11
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:

I exchanged my new nano for the classic because the nano was just too small for my hands.

I connected the classic (man, the usb cable stinks-for something that is pvc free supposedly , it reeks!) and it was really slow to get to the registration process.

I registered it and when it was done it came up in the listing, format=windows. WTF? I have a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard.

I am synching my music now and it is taking a lot longer than the Nano. I assume it'sbecause of the larger drive but it is REALLY slow.

Any of these issues normal? Thanks

The Classic may also take longer because it's a mini hard drive disc with a spinning platter, whereas the Nano is a Flash drive with no moving parts.

The one thing I would have liked on my Classic that the Nano has in the FM tuner, and the ability to pause the radio. The video camera is also cool. But for me, it was all about the capacity. I have a pretty big music collection, and like everything in one place, all in high quality (larger file size). I don't want to be somewhere and go to play something I'm in the mood for and not have it available due to space. If you start adding pictures and video, it will fill up faster. And, not only is the wheel bigger and easier to use (I have big hands too), but with the larger screen, video is actually watchable and photos look much better than on the tiny Nano screen.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

The Classic may also take longer because it's a mini hard drive disc with a spinning platter, whereas the Nano is a Flash drive with no moving parts.

The one thing I would have liked on my Classic that the Nano has in the FM tuner, and the ability to pause the radio. The video camera is also cool. But for me, it was all about the capacity. I have a pretty big music collection, and like everything in one place, all in high quality (larger file size). I don't want to be somewhere and go to play something I'm in the mood for and not have it available due to space. If you start adding pictures and video, it will fill up faster. And, not only is the wheel bigger and easier to use (I have big hands too), but with the larger screen, video is actually watchable and photos look much better than on the tiny Nano screen.

Enjoy!

Turned out the Classic was formatted in windows! I am assuming it was a refurb item sold to me as new. I restored it into Mac format and now it's not slow but I am going to exchange it for another one (it had better be new!).

I agree about the capacity and bigger wheel. The classic is the way to go for me.