Apple highlights interactive capabilities of HTML5

Comments

• Reply 121 of 319
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Anyone reasonable will agree with this. But there is the added dimension of what companies are willing to spend to design websites.

This change is already happening. The point of this demo is to help push it further along.

Quote:

This is real world ... this is why microsoft and IE have stifled the technology enhancements on the web.

MS did stifle the internet, but they no longer have the power to do that. MS did not want to support HTML5, now they are determined to have IE fully compliant. They were forced to do this.
  • Reply 122 of 319
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

How is he telling anyone how to consome internet?? This doesn't even have anything to do with consuming internet, it's about building internet.

A common, but mistaken, notion of Flash clingers. No one has ever been given a choice of content types for them to consume. Content producers always have and always will be the ones who choose, not consumers.
  • Reply 123 of 319
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Entirely wrong interpretation of the situation.

These tools are not proprietary to Safari, they are open standards. The only reason this requires Safari is because Safari supports it and no one else does yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sf_dude View Post

Apple has to be stopped from trying to tell you how you are supposed to consume the internet. Why Jobs wants to make Apple into a new Microsoft - would it be called Applesoft ?

• Reply 124 of 319
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

These tools are not proprietary to Safari, they are open standards. The only reason this requires Safari is because Safari supports it and no one else does yet.

It's good to have a voice of reason around here - keep doing what you do.
  • Reply 125 of 319
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The only tool we have right now is a keyboard. When the css extensions no longer need -webkit- in front of them it will be an open standard.
  • Reply 126 of 319
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Apple this week posted a new section on its website, showing off the abilities of HTML5 in a standards based browser such as Safari, including interactive videos and photos.

That says it all...

People here seem upset with Apple because other browsers don't support these standards yet. Is that not idiotic or what?

You have to consider their argument. If Apple is pushing for a flash alternative that doesn't work on their browser, what value is it to them?

By all accounts, firefox is a modern browser, and so is Opera or Chrome, but it appears Safari is the only one that fully supports what Apple is pushing for.

I think all browsers should be equal in that they support the most recent technologies available, but for some odd reason that's not the case here.
  • Reply 127 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You have to consider their argument. If Apple is pushing for a flash alternative that doesn't work on their browser, what value is it to them?

Absolutely. It's of little value if you are not running Safari, which I happen to believe is the point.
  • Reply 128 of 319
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    I've just had a look at the site on my iPhone and all I have to say in responce is "so long flash"
  • Reply 129 of 319
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Now if we could have a Cupertino built html editor...

Same comment from me. Why can't this stuff be incorporated into a "pro" version of iWeb... NOW!
  • Reply 130 of 319
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

Look people. There are parts of the HTML5 spec that only Safari currently supports. Both Firefox and Chrome are behind, hence the requirement for Safari.

THe Chrome & Firefox developers should speed up their implementation of the draft spec as it currently stands.

As a side note, if you visit http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/ you can view the demos in other browsers. Some of the functionality won't be there, but they'll work for the most part.

But HTML5 is so closed. Apple won't release the specs because it's proprietary. If they allowed everyone to look at the source code, people wouldn't have to wait until Apple updated the standard, causing everyone else to wait for their updates, if they ever update at all.

Oh wait, sorry, I mean Flash, not HTML5.
  • Reply 131 of 319
    Taken directly from Apple's website. I mean, they really could not have made it any clearer:

The demos below show how the latest version of Apple?s Safari web browser, new Macs, and new Apple mobile devices all support the capabilities of HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript. Not all browsers offer this support. But soon other modern browsers will take advantage of these same web standards ? and the amazing things they enable web designers to do.
  • Reply 132 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

Apple: If you're trying to prove that HTML5 is ready to replace Flash, you don't advertise your HTML5 demo and immediately tell me my browser, nor any other besides your Safari, will not work with it. You just shot yourself in the foot.

I'm with Adobe on this one; before this silly Demo fiasco , I wasn't! I had no idea how unimplemented the standard was.

http://www.sunrisebrowser.com/

I thought the same first, but it actually works perfectly in that browser

I couldn't get it to work in firefox for mac though
  • Reply 133 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

Look people. There are parts of the HTML5 spec that only Safari currently supports. Both Firefox and Chrome are behind, hence the requirement for Safari.

THe Chrome & Firefox developers should speed up their implementation of the draft spec as it currently stands.

As a side note, if you visit http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/ you can view the demos in other browsers. Some of the functionality won't be there, but they'll work for the most part.

What good are supposedly open standards if they only work on the latest hardware and the latest browser?

Apple needs to post a web page that is comparable to Flash in terms of complexity with animation, audio and lots of interactivity. Then we can make a fair comparison.

The example pages are a bit underwhelming.
  • Reply 134 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Mozilla especially, since they still can't get Firefox Mobile on Android, which I think it very important for the future of their business.

"Can't"?

Pre-Alpha was delivered more than a month ago:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Firef...ile+on+Android

You can relax. It'll be finished soon enough, and thousands are using it now.
  • Reply 135 of 319
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ceres View Post

Good grief... I'll add my voice here... to call this demo a "standards showcase" for HTML5 is a joke. As noted by others, it ONLY works in Safari. Standards are also about accessibility... in multiple browsers with varying limitation and abilities. This would have been far more effective demo if Apple had made the demo work in multiple browsers.

It's a demo. Yes, Apple should have gone to great lengths, yada, yada, yada... IT'S A DEMO!

It's utterly amazing how people expect a demo to be all dancing, singing and Flash-ing. It's a demo, it's a demo, it's a demo. Demos don't run on everything, they run in tightly controlled environments, normally adhering to well defined scripts which don't deviate.

It's a demo.
  • Reply 136 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

It's a demo. Yes, Apple should have gone to great lengths, yada, yada, yada... IT'S A DEMO!

It's utterly amazing how people expect a demo to be all dancing, singing and Flash-ing. It's a demo, it's a demo, it's a demo. Demos don't run on everything, they run in tightly controlled environments, normally adhering to well defined scripts which don't deviate.

It's a demo.

It's not just a demo, it's a demo by the second biggest company in the world, and not only that one of the biggest critics of Flash on record! I want to see some razzle-dazzle here.
  • Reply 137 of 319
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What good are supposedly open standards if they only work on the latest hardware and the latest browser?

Apple needs to post a web page that is comparable to Flash in terms of complexity with animation, audio and lots of interactivity. Then we can make a fair comparison.

The example pages are a bit underwhelming.

Well it seems to be both Chrome and Firefox have the same regularity of updates as Safari (Chrome is even quicker with updates). It's up to them to support it. Chrome supports most of the demos. I'm not sure what you mean by latest hardware but it was far smoother than Flash on my 2 year old base iMac model.

As for the animations they seemed fine to me. I've rarely been to a website that actually uses the Flash for anything other than video and ads. When I do visit one, they usually abuse it.

Example: http://www.neetrecordings.com/
  • Reply 138 of 319
    Quote:

No they do not. We're all too familiar with flash. If they're transitioning from flash, highlight the alternative. Show us what the future holds.
  • Reply 139 of 319
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

As for the animations they seemed fine to me. I've rarely been to a website that actually uses the Flash for anything other than video and ads. When I do visit one, they usually abuse it.]

They seemed to load pretty slowly. I guess they didn't want a loading progress bar as it would look too much like typical Flash. I'm not sure there is a way to stream or buffer css / js image content. I have the same problem on my site. All the images used in the sequence have to load before the first one displays.
  • Reply 140 of 319
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:

It's not just a demo, it's a demo by the second biggest company in the world, and not only that one of the biggest critics of Flash on record! I want to see some razzle-dazzle here.

OMG, because it's the 2nd biggest market cap company the demo has to be more full featured? That's redefining what a demo is.

It's a demo. If you've ever worked in software development, you would know that a demo is a demo, and many (including the latest Flash demo on Android) was not perfect. This isn't perfect, but a demo is intended to give you an idea of what life could be at release.

Don't make Apple adhere to different standards just because of their newly realised worth (?).

As for razzle-dazzle - have Google or Mozilla or Opera demonstrated anything like this (and they are HTML5 proponents, btfw!).