Apple highlights interactive capabilities of HTML5

Comments

• Reply 141 of 319
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

No they do not. We're all too familiar with flash. If they're transitioning from flash, highlight the alternative. Show us what the future holds.

What? It would be a great idea to show html5 doing what flash does. The other stuff it does that flash can't aren't really the major selling points. The major selling point for html5 is "it can do what flash can do, for free."

So yes, showing a flash site compared to an html5 site, all doing the same exact thing, is a great way to push html5's capability.
  • Reply 142 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Example: http://www.neetrecordings.com/

Wow, I hope I'm not offending you by saying this (like maybe it's your friend's site or something) but that has got to be the most annoying looking webpage I've ever come across.
  • Reply 143 of 319
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

No they do not. We're all too familiar with flash. If they're transitioning from flash, highlight the alternative. Show us what the future holds.

I hope and expect "the future" to be an improvement on the present. Not the same or worse.
  • Reply 144 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

What? It would be a great idea to show html5 doing what flash does. The other stuff it does that flash can't aren't really the major selling points. The major selling point for html5 is "it can do what flash can do, for free."

So yes, showing a flash site compared to an html5 site, all doing the same exact thing, is a great way to push html5's capability.

Exactly. Frankly, the HTML5 version of YouTube is not as fully featured as the Flash version, for example. Please Apple, show us some world-class HTML5 going head-to-head with Flash. Side by side comparison.
  • Reply 145 of 319
    Quote:

Wow, I hope I'm not offending you by saying this (like maybe it's your friend's site or something) but that has got to be the most annoying looking webpage I've ever come across.

Believe it or not, that might offend him.
  • Reply 146 of 319
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exactly. Frankly, the HTML5 version of YouTube is not as fully featured as the Flash version, for example. Please Apple, show us some world-class HTML5 going head-to-head with Flash. Side by side comparison.

Even if someone did do that, the user doesn't have any idea how hard it was to do. A developer having to write in pure js code with no timeline GUI can expect to spend at least triple the time required to do it with Flash. So sure it is great for the end user who can't handle Flash but the poor developer is not going to get much sleep.
  • Reply 146 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Geez again, why do people continue to make this already answered, already thwarted point..

They are demoing the FUTURE of ALL the aspects HTML5 can bring. The point is to try and get all the developers and then of course all the other browser platforms on board. If they all had it it wouldn't be the future, nor would there be a point of a DEMO.

If you opened up chrome and the demo worked perfectly fine, it would then be pointless cause you already have everything they are trying to demo.

Did anyone else not notice from the heading "Developers: Learn how to do it yourself" that this demo is for.. I dunno.. Developers, and not consumers who happen to be browsing at that moment. Clearly anyone who develops websites would already have every major browser already so they can test their site's compatability and would never see that error message.

Please, for anyone else who's thinking about making this arguement woul you please just say it over in your head a few times first until you realize what your actually saying?? "Geez, you'd think if they wanted to show people all these great features of HTML5 that firefox, chrome, and opera don't fully support yet, you'd think they would at least make it work on firefox, chrome, and opera!!"

I think it (the argument) is being rehashed over and over because of this quote written on Apple's html5 page:

"Standards aren’t add-ons to the web. They are the web. And you can start using them today."

That gives the impression to non-technical people, or those who don't give a damn how the web works, that this standard is complete and ready to go for everyone; Not the case, however.
  • Reply 148 of 319
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

As for the animations they seemed fine to me. I've rarely been to a website that actually uses the Flash for anything other than video and ads. When I do visit one, they usually abuse it.

Example: http://www.neetrecordings.com/

all I get is an install flash icon. glad i'm not using my computer.
  • Reply 149 of 319
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

"Can't"?

Pre-Alpha was delivered more than a month ago:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Firef...ile+on+Android

You can relax. It'll be finished soon enough, and thousands are using it now.

Ignoring the misconstruction of the term "Pre-Alpha", the fact that it's still an Alpha, not even a Beta, and hasn't been available on Android for a couple years now — much less June 2010 — shows just much ground Mozilla has to make up just to even have a viable mobile product.
  • Reply 150 of 319
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Even if someone did do that, the user doesn't have any idea how hard it was to do. A developer having to write in pure js code with no timeline GUI can expect to spend at least triple the time required to do it with Flash. So sure it is great for the end user who can't handle Flash but the poor developer is not going to get much sleep.

So that seems to be an argument that Flash is superior for developers, even though it's still no panacea for browsers.
  • Reply 151 of 319
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

That is M.I.A.'s (the musician) site. She performed on the Grammy's two years ago the song Paper Planes from the soundtrack of Slumdog Millionaire.
  • Reply 152 of 319
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I tried out all those demos on my iPad. Some had quite sluggish controls and felt very desktop-ish in their GUI design.

Overall I was impressed with what HTML can do now but it's not yet up to the standard of Cocoa Touch/Core Animation, and something tells me the underlying code is a lot messier.
  • Reply 153 of 319
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Entirely wrong interpretation of the situation.

These tools are not proprietary to Safari, they are open standards. The only reason this requires Safari is because Safari supports it and no one else does yet.

Yeah I hear "it's gonna' be great.

One side yelling that flash is always "gonna", when html5 is the same.

I don't see much in these demoes that was basic stuff a decade. And this is the flash killer?

Idiots.

• Reply 154 of 319
    Is there a coherent thought there?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

One side yelling that flash is always "gonna", when html5 is the same.

I don't see much in these demoes that was basic stuff a decade. And this is the flash killer?

Idiots.

• Reply 155 of 319
    Quote:

Idiots.

Hey hey hey. We're all geniuses here.
  • Reply 156 of 319
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Sorry guys, but I see this thread is a tad much ado about nothing.

First of all very soon all browsers will adopt htlml5 with more and more features, because no one want's to be left out of the future, ie has already publicly stated their support, and so have opera, and firefox. I don't care about chrome.

Secondly, in terms of adoption, I don't see any problem when for years we've been pestered about downloading the latest flash plugin to run flash, it will be very easy on all browsers to prompt the user to update informing them that they might not be able to view the latest standards otherwise. Ff, opera, and safari automatically prompt for updates. So, I don't see why anyone even in the legacy machine(well, not on the lisa...) will be left.

so, like I said, much ado about nothing, apple released some demonstration of features for developers to spread the word about html5 and advance its use. The point is to show where technology is heading, not were it is or has been.
  • Reply 157 of 319
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:

Hey hey hey. We're all geniuses here.

I see that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Sorry guys, but I see this thread is a tad much ado about nothing.

First of all very soon all browsers will adopt htlml5 with more and more features, because no one want's to be left out of the future, ie has already publicly stated their support, and so have opera, and firefox. I don't care about chrome.

Secondly, in terms of adoption, I don't see any problem when for years we've been pestered about downloading the latest flash plugin to run flash, it will be very easy on all browsers to prompt the user to update informing them that they might not be able to view the latest standards otherwise. Ff, opera, and safari automatically prompt for updates. So, I don't see why anyone even in the legacy machine(well, not on the lisa...) will be left.

so, like I said, much ado about nothing, apple released some demonstration of features for developers to spread the word about html5 and advance its use. The point is to show where technology is heading, not were it is or has been.

I agree. The whole look you need safari har har har thing is just as dumb as the it's a flash killer nonsense.

It is what it is, and believe me web developers are happy to see new features added to html and css. Yes there will be a number of simpler things we'd use flash for, that we won't anymore.
  • Reply 158 of 319
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The fact that CSS 3D Transformations works on my iPhone right now. An no parts of Flash work at all....yeah it is pretty great!

Quote:

Idiots.

• Reply 159 of 319
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member
    Here's a nice site that shows you the various HTML5 readiness states of different browsers. This isn't a "Review" blog, they actually test the capabilities of each browser. Paul Irish is one of the developers of Modernizr.

http://html5readiness.com/
  • Reply 160 of 319
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Showcasing how these extensions work in Safari is how Apple is pushing Chrome and Firefox to adopt these functions.

And what's the point if the web page is still hard-coded to require Safari in order to view it? How will anyone know how well Chrome and Firefox support these functions if only Safari is allowed to view the page? Apple touts HTML 5 as being open to everyone. Apple does not own HTML 5, yet they are trying to act as the gatekeeper of who is worthy enough to be considered HTML 5 compliant. The best way for Apple to show the "openness" of HTML 5 and the capabilities of various browsers should be to let people view their web page in all browsers so they can make an informed judgement for themselves.