HELP! My iPad preorder has been cancelled by some unknown person!

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Hi.

I just logged into my husband's mobile me account to check on the status of our iPad order (we ordered two, one for him and one for me). For some reason, the order's been canceled without notifying us and in two separate steps (part of the order was canceled on the 13th, and the remainder on the 14th.

I can't reach Apple support because it's outside of their "business hours" but this is just unbelievable! I woke up in the middle of the night to place my preorder on the 10th and now I won't be able to get one until June 7th at the earliest IF I decide to reorder?

Has anyone had a similar experience? And does anyone have any advice on what I can do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

Hi.

I just logged into my husband's mobile me account to check on the status of our iPad order (we ordered two, one for him and one for me). ...

13th of what? 14th of what? How do you know that the orders were ever actually placed?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kisekikiseki Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

13th of what? 14th of what? How do you know that the orders were ever actually placed?

May. Preordering started here in Japan on May 10th. I got up in the middle of the night to place the order and I received a confirmation email and an order number. But we never received an email notification that my husband's order had been canceled. My guess is that Apple arbitrarily canceled our order for whatever unknown reason, perhaps thinking we'd ordered more than our "quota"?

I did place two orders, one under my name and another under my husband's name (with his permission of course) because the "Free" Wi-Fi service offered by Softbank was the default setting and I wasn't sure it wasn't some sneaky way to tie me down to Softbank, even though we were ordering the Wi-Fi model. After checking with the apple store the next day during business hours, I canceled the order under my name (on the 10th).

So bottom line, we ordered two iPads for a four-person household and I'm not exceeding any quotas. And this was canceled by some party unknown without warning and without notification. I don't understand why Apple would do this. The only other explanation is that someone hacked into my husband's mobile me account and canceled our order as a malicious joke (Unlikely).

I'm organizing an important event scheduled for June 12th in which e-publishing is due to be discussed with top editors from some major Japanese and American publishers. I NEEDED to have that iPad with me on that date (which has been a year in the planning) and now chances are high I won't because the earliest shipping date now is June 7th.

If this is another example of Apple's Big Brother behavior, it is TOTALLY unacceptable.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Let me get this straight. You ordered 2, then another 2, then cancelled the original 2. If you cancelled the original order after you placed both orders for 2, then you would have had 2 orders for 2 each- which is over the limit. Seems like your cancellation for the 1st order was delayed and went through after you placed the 2nd order. Did you use the same credit card?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Let me get this straight. You ordered 2, then another 2, then cancelled the original 2. If you cancelled the original order after you placed both orders for 2, then you would have had 2 orders for 2 each- which is over the limit. Seems like your cancellation for the 1st order was delayed and went through after you placed the 2nd order. Did you use the same credit card?

No I didn't. Two separate cards, two separate names/accounts. I received confirmation for cancellation of the first order (in my name) immediately after I'd canceled it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    You should consider calling Apple to get THEIR thoughts on it. It'll probably get you more accurate information than you'll get here.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I did speak(argue<g>) with the apple store, but as I suspected, they had canceled my order arbitrarily.

I was hoping someone else on here had experienced similar problems and had advice, but apparently not.

They told me that the reason they had canceled my order was because my husband and I HAVE THE SAME ADDRESS. Which is ridiculous. If they had recognized that we were two separate people then it shouldn't have posed a problem. After my problem was resolved, I did ask that they send out emails to all people whose orders they'd canceled in the same way to at least let them know about it! I don't know if they actually will.

RECOMMENDATION ! !

If you've preordered from the online Apple Store and two or more members of your family have orders placed, check your order status online to make sure it hasn't been canceled. I don't know if this is an issue with the apple store in Japan or worldwide, so I would recommend checking.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

They told me that the reason they had canceled my order was because my husband and I HAVE THE SAME ADDRESS. Which is ridiculous. ...

This is a growing issue with credit cards. It is not arbitrary, but it can be brain-dead.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Bizarre stories popping up... What's up, Apple? Let's keep those orders coming in and customers happy.