Google Music planned as iTunes for Android, may kill DoubleTwist

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Google plans to create a music service for Android that will finally allow its users to download media directly from their phones, similar to the Wi-Fi iTunes Apple launched in 2007.

Google's service, expected to be named Google Music (based on a logo TechCrunch discovered on the company's website), will be a web-based service that allows downloads of music and Android apps.

Google gave a brief preview of the service at its I/O event, where it also announced having acquired Simplify Media. That product will be used to deliver a desktop app that can wirelessly stream local music to Android devices.

Third party iTunes alternatives for Android

Google's efforts to match Apple's iTunes features integrated into its iPhone OS may stomp out the emerging third party solutions to the feature gap on Android, including the desktop and mobile apps created by DoubleTwist that already serve as an iTunes alternative for Android.

DoubleTwist was founded by "DVD Jon" Lech Johansen originally as a product to defeat iTunes' DRM in order to sync protected media to alternative media players, smartphones, and other devices such as the Sony PSP.

More recently, the application has evolved into an iTunes alternative for Android users who currently have no way to browse for apps outside of the very limited web page Google provides for its Android Market, which lacks even the basic capacity to search for software titles.

DoubleTwist also acts as an iTunes alternative for syncing music and media from a desktop PC to Android phones, another standard component entirely missing from Google's mobile platform.

DoubleTwist has also delivered an Android app that serves as a media player to replace the Google-supplied music player commonly derided as "something of a joke in the smartphone world," according to a report by Fast Company, which noted a variety of other third party alternatives to Google's music player, including bTunes, MixZing, Cubed, and TuneWiki.

Death for DoubleTwist?

There are some significant missing features in both DoubleTwist's existing and Google's planned apps, and no combination of apps for Android provide the seamless, consistent and refined experience of Apple's combination of iTunes on the desktop and its iPod, iTunes, and App Store iPhone OS apps for its mobile devices.

Still, it will be interesting to see how Android's music playback, media sync and software distribution evolve as Google rolls its own solutions for the platform in competition with the diverse group of competing third party alternative players, media sync tools and app store browsers.

While Google is unlikely to block apps that overlap its own functionality (as Apple has in its own App Store), the delivery of a standard player, streaming service, and software interface for Android by Google would likely erase the prospects of third party developers like DoubleTwist, much as Apple has been criticized for in its introduction of Mac OS X services such as Sherlock 3 (competing against Watson) Dashboard widgets (competing with Konfabulator).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Interesting.

Why doesn't Apple simply offer an iTunes app for Android (minus the apps)? Could be a good incremental revenue generator.
  • Reply 2 of 94
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting.

Why doesn't Apple simply offer an iTunes app for Android (minus the apps)? Could be a good incremental revenue generator.

If itunes for windows is any indication, Apple's really not good at developing things for other platforms

Also iTMS is there to support the iPods, iPhones etc.. not exactly a "main event" for apple.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google plans to create a music service for Android that will finally allow its users to download media directly from their phones, similar to the Wi-Fi iTunes Apple launched in 2007.

"More data, more data," the beast cried. And then we fed him music, and yet still he demanded, "more data, more data!"

Google sucks up your privacy, monetises it and sells it to the highest bidder so they can convince you to buy things you neither want nor need.
  • Reply 4 of 94
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Hope all this competition leads to lower prices.
  • Reply 5 of 94
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Google is trying to undermine Apple's cloud announcements next week.

It won't work.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 6 of 94
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Interesting.

As long as Apple has significant market share (and in smart phones, they do) and a healthy lead in platform (and in iPhone OS ecosystem, they do) I don't think it behooves them to make another platform so capable (in spite of the extra revenue they could score).

The only reason Apple made iTunes for Windows is because they HAD to in order to successfully sell the iPod to the Windows-using masses. Otherwise, the iPod would have been relegated to the 4% Apple fanboys (like me) and that would have killed any prospects it had of going ballistic, as it did. It was the ultimate Trojan Horse, causing some switchers via its Halo effect.

The situation is totally different with iPhone vs Android. I don't believe that you'll see ANY Apple software on a competing smartphone platform unless from desperation.

Thompson
  • Reply 7 of 94
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    With all the Apple bashing at Google it seems that they are trying to replicate some of that walled garden approach that apple has to their platform.

Google shipped out Nexus One because no one could really build a good android phone. That started the HTC - Google partnership, which essentially delivered the hottest android phones to date. This be the hardware - software integration.

Now Google is hiring a UI expert to synchronize the UI for their phones - another form of integration.

With Spotify Google is building a music store (because no one has made a good one so far) another form of integration.

Google is moving more and more to controlled app eco-system, forcing its hardware suppliers to adhere to strict rules, tight collaboration with HTC, new music service so on. This is somthing microsoft tried to do:

1. It was the open plays for sure partner.

2. It became Microsoft only - Windows only Zune.

I think google might face a similar dilema in the future, and it will be interesting to see which way they will go.
  • Reply 8 of 94
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member
    I think double twist is save for the moment, still needs to improve speed but offers an experience and functionality close to iTunes on the desktop. No cloud service can match software in your computer.
  • Reply 9 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Google is trying to undermine Apple's cloud announcements next week.

It won't work.

Time will tell.

Gruber, a pretty smart dude, says apple doesn't do lost leaders. So I wouldn't hold my breath on the cloud announcement.
  • Reply 10 of 94
    Apple last week has slay one of the tech beast now with the battle experience and good tactical approach im sure apple would always be the winner.

with battle scars from 3 decades of fights with M$ it time to show the Google- that this vet has some bite. Apple back is broad and strong and as Steve said they been beaten up before.

they sat on apple board and saw and steal now they wage a war to buy up all the start ups and think that is the way to be innovative.

they are jut SCARED SHIT LESS ABOUT THE WHATS UP OUT OF THE OLD MAGICIAN SLEEVES NEXT WEEK

I'm so serious im gonna cancel my gmail account and get a mobileme account

screw the openness and the data sucking reselling mentality

Goolgle is the wolf under the open sheep
  • Reply 11 of 94
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

The only reason Apple made iTunes for Windows is because they HAD to in order to successfully sell the iPod to the Windows-using masses. Otherwise, the iPod would have been relegated to the 4% Apple fanboys (like me) and that would have killed any prospects it had of going ballistic, as it did. It was the ultimate Trojan Horse, causing some switchers via its Halo effect. Thompson

That's how I became a switcher.
  • Reply 12 of 94
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

Apple last week has slay one of the tech beast now with the battle experience and good tactical approach im sure apple would always be the winner.

with battle scars from 3 decades of fights with M$ it time to show the Google- that this vet has some bite. Apple back is broad and strong and as Steve said they been beaten up before.

they sat on apple board and saw and steal now they wage a war to buy up all the start ups and think that is the way to be innovative.

they are jut SCARED SHIT LESS ABOUT THE WHATS UP OUT OF THE OLD MAGICIAN SLEEVES NEXT WEEK

I'm so serious im gonna cancel my gmail account and get a mobileme account

screw the openness and the data sucking reselling mentality

Goolgle is the wolf under the open sheep

I agree with you whole heartedly. But Apple's doing it now and Google's doing it to itself. Trolls here claim that Google's market share will trump Apple, but really what did that get Microsoft? Google doesn't have a unified platform and they're shooting their wad all over the place trying to see what will stick. They should stick to search and advertising. They're going to kill their own golden egg.
  • Reply 13 of 94
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm surprised no one has responded with the typical "my phone has had this feature for years."

Maybe that card is only played against Apple.\

No offense, Asianbob.
  • Reply 14 of 94
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if Google actually introduced a new, innovative product instead of simply copying Apple. Maybe Apple should launch an online applications suite, and call it 'Apple Docs'...
  • Reply 15 of 94
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if Google actually introduced a new, innovative product instead of simply copying Apple. Maybe Apple should launch an online applications suite, and call it 'Apple Docs'...

I appreciate when companies are not afraid to go into uncharted territory. Take risks. Be bold. Display your intellectual prowess. It's saddening to see just how many phones have imitated the iPhone. They have simply replicated the iPhone while expanding on features and specs yet to be introduced. When the iPhone was released, there was nothing like it - now they're all variations of the same phone.

I dunno, I guess I just want to see a different class/category of phones. Apparently, Apple hasn't shown the world how to make one yet.
  • Reply 16 of 94
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Gruber, a pretty smart dude, says apple doesn't do lost leaders. So I wouldn't hold my breath on the cloud announcement.

I think you mean loss leaders. Unless you are referring to Ballmer, in which case you are correct in all sorts of ways.
  • Reply 17 of 94
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Is this Google Insider now or just another attempt by AI to fan the fanboy flames?

AI, if you guys are going to start writing about Android, how about actually getting a few Android phones and playing with them?

The stock player (say on the Nexus One) doesn't suck. It's just not as full featured as an iTouch. It's more in line with say the music player you'd find on a Sony Ericsson Music phone. But because it's Android you have choice. You can get a phone which has good music features (like the Sony Ericsson X10's Mediascape) or you can download another music player (notice how Google does not prohibit duplication of existing functions). Only an Apple fan site, would consider such choice a bad thing.

And it's not just DoubleTwist that might get hurt. The bigger damage would to be to the Amazon mp3 store, which has an app that comes stock on most Android phones.
  • Reply 18 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patroll View Post

I think you mean loss leaders. Unless you are referring to Ballmer, in which case you are correct in all sorts of ways.

thanks got a chuckle out of that. i did mean loss leaders. not anything to do with monkey boy.
  • Reply 19 of 94
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Interesting.

They could simply allow iTunes to be compatible with devices other than iPods. Of course, that wouldn't be in their interest as a hardware OEM.
  • Reply 20 of 94
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    I'm actually very surprised that Google hasn't bought DoubleTwist yet and will assume that they are considering it very seriously at this point. They've bought other companies for less, and this one could actually provide excellent value in IP and products with a very quick turnaround for implementation in Android.