Apple rumored to debut Safari 5 with Reader, Bing at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Under the hood improvements are good, but honestly I already like the speed of safari (webkit nightlys). I want progress bar back as well as a choice for tabs on top. Having a 13 inch macbook I found myself gravitating to Chrome more and more because it does not take away any space on my screen, but I miss the progress bar all the same.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    I am looking forward to whatever the new version of Safari may bring us. Likely it will be faster with more features.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

If Safari 5.0 is intro'd then it better be more than under the hood features. Safari needs a make-over and lessons from FireFox, IE9, and Chrome on design.

Share some of the things you'd like to see redesigned...
  • Reply 24 of 74
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    [[..a "Private Browsing" icon..]]] Just what I was wanting!!!!
  • Reply 25 of 74
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:

If Safari 5.0 is intro'd then it better be more than under the hood features. Safari needs a make-over and lessons from FireFox, IE9, and Chrome on design.

Chrome took a lot of interface elements from Safari. If you compare Chromium and Safari (please tell me that you use Chromium not Chrome) they are very similar.

I am not so sure if this report is legit.

The latest Safari Webkit nightly doesn't support closed captions in HTML5 so i don't see Safari 5 doing it. So if one element of this thing is certainly wrong, how can not be a fake?

The whole article could be made up by someone making a conservative guess.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Will Apple continue to add to the developer tools until we have a nice pro html editor?

Did you notice the mention of HTML5 Ruby? If true, then maybe you could include a Ruby library that will do text to HTML conversion for you.

Edit: I forgot that there is another 'Ruby' project not related to the language. Probably an error on my part.

2nd Edit: HTML5 Ruby is a tag for East Asian typography. Here is a link:

http://www.quackit.com/html_5/tags/html_ruby_tag.cfm
  • Reply 27 of 74
    It's that boring; it's mostly all true. Anyway, I'm still going to look forward to them announcements, give me something to play with, and best of all a stevenote to watch if there the only thing that comes out of Cupertino. I would love that Bing support.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cesar View Post

full screen mode would be a nice addition to Safari. Chrome and Firefox already have full screen mode

Full screen mode would be very nice.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101 View Post

Isn't this already a feature in Safari? I ws pretty sure it made a pretty decent RSS reader. It was one of the major features of some version. I do not remember which one, but I do know they made a big deal out of it.

I'm reading this a little differently. Instead of it being an RSS reader, it will take any webpage, extract the largest text frame, and drop it into a book style page like on the iPad. Couple this with Flashblock, advertisers won't be happy. If you could click on a link and have it default to the reader it would be even better. Web developers would be pissed.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haapum View Post

"Click on the new Reader icon to view articles on the web in a single, clutter-free page."

Maybe it's just me, but I think this sounds more like a description for Readability (or other so-called "mobilizer" services), which would make even more sense for Mobile Safari.

(Greetings to the forum members, by the way, from a long-time reader / first-time poster.)

I agree -- sounds like Readability to me. Definitely a useful feature to add to Safari.

Also, if true, then I think this might be the closest that any major browser vendor has come to including ad blocking functionality in the browser. True, it's not exactly designed for that purpose, but it does have that effect since most of the "clutter" is ads.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    A couple things that don't seem to be addressed:
    • WebKit2. Are tabs finally seperate processes?

• Please bring back the option for tabs-on-top.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It suggests the software update will include 25 percent faster JavaScript performance than Safari 4

Are we coming to the end of our JS speed ups. 4.5x faster last time. All these changes will surely increase the app size, I just hope they make the app itself launch faster.

Quote:

The document also mentions a new feature, Safari Reader, which adds a Reader icon to the browser and allows users to view articles "in a single, clutter-free page."

This is nice, but I wonder if this is how you're expected to read your iBooks on Macs and Windows. It would be a great way to increase Safari installs, if not marketshare.

Quote:

Expanded HTML5 support will reportedly add over a dozen new features, including Geolocation, full screen and closed captions for HTML5 video, and more.

GeoLocation is expected, I just hope that the next Mac notebooks also include a GPS chip and OS support for utilizing it in the browser, Dashboard Widgets, etc., not just via your ISP or router.

This full screen is curious. I've always hated the way it's designed in every browser and glad Apple didn't include it, but with HTML5 video there is an issue with full screen. Sublime video found a way with new WebKit nightlies to enable it, but you have to use a keyboard command as you click an element on screen, which is less than ideal. I have to think that the only reason this is being used now is for HTML5 video, which is one thing Flash video has over HTML5 video, not to play catch up with old feature. I wonder if Apple has found away for a simple bit of JS or a special WebKit command to enable fullscreen mode with a single click.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I actually expected this after seeing Apple post that HTML5 page.

Yep.

Quote:

"Click on the new Reader icon to view articles on the web in a single, clutter-free page."

Maybe it's just me, but I think this sounds more like a description for Readability (or other so-called "mobilizer" services), which would make even more sense for Mobile Safari.

(Greetings to the forum members, by the way, from a long-time reader / first-time poster.)

It doesn't sound like they are copying that app. They may also have it export it to EPUB format for iBooks. Welcome to the forum... as a poster, haapum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

This is why they restricted the HTML5 demo to Safari

How can this not be obvious to anyone with any perception at all?

It seemed pretty obvious to me.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

I'm reading this a little differently. Instead of it being an RSS reader, it will take any webpage, extract the largest text frame, and drop it into a book style page like on the iPad. Couple this with Flashblock, advertisers won't be happy. If you could click on a link and have it default to the reader it would be even better. Web developers would be pissed.

I agree with you here. We all know Safari already got that RSS reader feature thing but reading the article, I think what they are going to do is extract the main text field and present it in an uncluttered way much like Appleinsider's iPhone page with images are optionally displayed only they would do it better unlike Appleinsider which is buggy for example here, browsing the forum from the news section and back messes up the history/back button navigation lead outs.

With only the texts and no adverts, flash animations etc. reading articles and blogs willbe much more straightforward and perhaps rewarding.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

......With only the texts and no adverts, flash animations etc. reading articles and blogs willbe much more straightforward and perhaps rewarding.

Yeah, I think this makes sense. It's all gonna happen magically and look like an iBook or something with your font, size and perhaps background.

... I'm sure it'll have the ad-makers furious.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Just checked out Readability. Already love it. So easy. There is a little bit of a lag time, but Safari's version should be super quick since it will be native to the browser.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    I really wish Safari would have an option to reload all your web pages after it crashes.

This actually happens to me quite often and always makes me restart my browser using Firefox, which of course has that feature...
  • Reply 36 of 74
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cesar View Post

full screen mode would be a nice addition to Safari. Chrome and Firefox already have full screen mode

I concur
  • Reply 37 of 74
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I actually expected this after seeing Apple post that HTML5 page. Apple is investing a lot in the web, but doing so rather quietly. Safari's webkit base is, no matter what is said in the court of public opinion, leading the charge in improving browser features, and bringing the web into a new age.

Sadly, the same cannot be said for Microsoft, who's idea of leading the way is stealing from others, or do the bare minimum to save face.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Microsoft hater, or an Apple Fanboy. It just seems Microsoft are really dragging their feet here, and they don't seem to care.

Hmmm really?

http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-...tml5-compliant

I am pretty sure that IE9 was the first to announce the use of GPU's to accelerate stuff.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Share some of the things you'd like to see redesigned...

I have IE and Chrome on my Windows 7 work laptop and Safari and Firefox on my SL Mac for home use. So the following is based on my usage on the two platforms and 4 web browsers.

1) Let's start with tabs. Give me a more graphical and logical way to add a tab. Similar to Chrome, Firefox, and IE where the new tab icon is to the right of the last tab.

2) Give me sorting for bookmarks like IE with favorites. I don't see that feature in Chrome and I don't believe Firefox has it either (my Mac isn't handy at the moment).

3) Let me easily choose who I want to add as a search provider like IE or Firefox. Maybe Google, Bing, Yahoo, Dictionary.com, Wikipedia, Ask.com or some other search provider. I don't want to be stuck with Google as my default search provider.

4) Make adding add-ins as easy as on Firefox. Maybe I want to enhance my browser experience beyond the standard features. Apple is good at vetting code so make them a part of the App store.

5) This is actually related to #4 as Firefox has an add-in called Stumbleupon or something like that. Basically you click on the Stumble button and it takes you to a new and interesting web site that you would not have found on your own. Apple could expand their Genius tech (providing that you opt in for them to scan and send your bookmarks back to the mother ship) and use it to suggest like websites from people who have similar bookmarks saved. This feature would reduce some of the need for search.

Those are off the top of my head as things that bug me about Safari.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Chrome is like a Ferrari and Safari looks like a VW Beetle. Your'e right. What used to be the best looking browser is now just boring.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

4) Make adding add-ins as easy as on Firefox. Maybe I want to enhance my browser experience beyond the standard features.

Good point, wrong browser. Chrome handles this the best of any browser.