WWDC 2010 banners focus on iPhone OS 4 features, App Store success

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has hung even more banners inside the Moscone Center in San Francisco for its forthcoming Worldwide Developer Conference, but they don't reveal any details about what the company plans to announce on Monday.

Apple began putting up banners earlier this week, and AppleInsider took a number of photos showing the giant Apple logo on the exterior of the building, and the main WWDC10 banner inside, featuring the slogan "The center of the app universe."

On Friday, reader Adam Jackson took photos of even more banners now on display at the Moscone Center. The promotional materials continue to emphasize the fact that this year's conference is focused primarily on the iPhone OS, which powers the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

One picture snapped through the windows of the building shows a banner centered around folders, a new feature in Apple's soon-to-be-released iPhone OS 4. It shows the applications Air Sharing, Bento and Evernote in an automatically named "Productivity" folder. The banner reads "Drag. Drop. Organize."

Other materials hanging from the ceiling boast the popularity of the App Store. One reads "4 Billion Apps Downloaded," while another touts there are "200,000 Apps on the App Store." And a display for Apple's iAd service coins the term "appvertise."

WWDC begins Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern, with a keynote from Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs. The conference runs until the end of the week, with the last day being June 11.

Apple is expected to introduce its next-generation iPhone, of which prototypes have leaked and been publicly photographed. Other potential announcements include Safari 5, upgrades to the Mac mini and Mac Pro, and a 27-inch LED Cinema Display.

For more photos of the Moscone Center, see Jackson's full WWDC 2010 gallery available on Flickr.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    It's gonna be a while 'til anyone catches up with that!
  • Reply 2 of 100
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

Elegant and Simple

Appvertise

Or is it ?

Simple and Elegant

• Reply 3 of 100
    HOW DARE THEY DO THIS! I don't believe Microsoft would do anything as controversial as this! And them images of the App's... there not open sauce! I hope FSF gets down there right now to take all these monopolistic images down now. I'll be ringing Steve Mobbs right now....
  • Reply 4 of 100
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I can't wait for iAd to come online and give Google a taste of its own medicine. Imagine the potential for Apple to leverage its huge iPhone OS user base in this endeavor. Okay, Google, you wanted to play in our yard, so here we come into yours! Apple doesn't have to dominate the ad space in order to win, all they need to do is to cut into Google's profits enough to make them squirm. Hee-hee!
  • Reply 5 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I can't wait for iAd to come online and give Google a taste of its own medicine. Imagine the potential for Apple to leverage its huge iPhone OS user base in this endeavor. Okay, Google, you wanted to play in our yard, so here we come into yours! Apple doesn't have to dominate the ad space in order to win, all they need to do is to cut into Google's profits enough to make them squirm. Hee-hee!

And by adding Bing, they're also cutting into Google's share of the search pie on iPhone OS. Google will see what an impact that decision will have, for sure. If I were a business partner (in any form) with Apple, the one thing I would be sure NOT to do is piss off Steve Jobs. He WILL get even!
  • Reply 6 of 100
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    The more the banners focus on things we already know, means the more Steve can announce things that we do not know....here's to hoping anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    The app store success cannot continue to be Apple's card, the future lies in web apps and more innovative use of the cloud.

I want a phone with a decent camera and a larger screen, so I can read books on it - and when travelling, shoot good quality photos that are then beamed directly to my photo sharing destination of choice.

Don't ignore forthcoming phones from Motorola and Nokia that both feature Xenon flashes and take excellent photos - and have larger screens. The iPhone's main pro was it's responsive screen, but now, people are expecting more.

So, come June 7, if the next iPhone is not the ONLY device I need carry with me on my travels, Android beckons with it's superior hardware. Or perhaps even the Nokia N8 with it's excellent camera.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

Elegant and Simple

Appvertise

Or is it ?

Simple and Elegant

Sellegant.
  • Reply 9 of 100
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

The app store success cannot continue to be Apple's card, the future lies in web apps and more innovative use of the cloud.

I want a phone with a decent camera and a larger screen, so I can read books on it - and when travelling, shoot good quality photos that are then beamed directly to my photo sharing destination of choice.

Don't ignore forthcoming phones from Motorola and Nokia that both feature Xenon flashes and take excellent photos - and have larger screens. The iPhone's main pro was it's responsive screen, but now, people are expecting more.

So, come June 7, if the next iPhone is not the ONLY device I need carry with me on my travels, Android beckons with it's superior hardware. Or perhaps even the Nokia N8 with it's excellent camera.

Don't forget though, new hardware means better apps to take advantage of this, so both are intrinsically linked. As far as hardware improvements are concerned, I would have liked to see a bigger screen since we're looking cramped next to the iPad, but I doubt that will happen. Looking forward to replacing my ageing 3G none the less.

Personally, I was hoping for more OS X 10.7 news, but looks like that's going to be restricted to Safari, 10.6.4 and Xcode.
  • Reply 10 of 100
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Sellegant.

Sold.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    Quote:

I dont think apple is to worried if people like you jump ship. there has and always will be phones with better cameras faster processors etc, even after the new iphone is released. apple has proven its not about the best specs, its about the whole user experience and the average phone user has proven that is all it takes. example: iphones success.
  • Reply 12 of 100
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

...the future lies in web apps and more innovative use of the cloud.

What's hilarious is that this is exactly the "features" that people said would cause the iPhone to fail when it first came out.
  • Reply 13 of 100
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

The cloud is already here and has been for awhile now. You should be asking yourself why it is that the cloud hasn't been as successful as you're projecting it to be. It's because native apps have always worked better. This is something that will simply never change. The hardware gets better and native apps will always take advantage of it. I'm sure you believe Google's hype of this because they can't wait to serve you web ads.

Quote:

It's funny that you mention the camera because the N1 had more MP and a Flash, yet still took worse photos than the iPhone. This is the perfect example of specs meaning nothing. It's the implementation. The same hype surrounded the N1's screen yet most tests shown the iphone's screen was better.

I don't know how many books you actually read but there is no way I'm going to use my phone as my main book reading device. I'd seriously doubt .8" is the difference in you having a screen that is suitable for book reading.
  • Reply 14 of 100
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

I am sure Apple will miss you!

Not.
  • Reply 15 of 100
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    What happened to all the leaked metal cool square phones?

Now all the images leaked are the white plastic ones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

Elegant and Simple

Appvertise

Or is it ?

Simple and Elegant

• Reply 16 of 100
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Certainly, it's the case that simple people get excited about bullet lists, without any sense of implementation. In fact the Android hardware tends to be quite inferior. The way you interact with it is via the touchscreen. No doubt you never really pay attention to OBJECTIVE comparisons, though.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    ituomasituomas Posts: 35member
    Doesn't look too good for the Mac, so far we've seen only iPhone stuff in advance. I mean, iPhone is interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing what the new model is going to be like, but I kinda miss those WWDC:s when Apple still focused mainly on the Mac.

I do hope I am wrong and we'll see some cool Mac-related things this year!
  • Reply 18 of 100
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Web apps generally suck, and the "cloud" is overrated.
  • Reply 19 of 100
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

As usual... people think that superior hardware is the sole factor in a phone. How these folks never learn.

I'll take iPhone hardware with iPhone OSX combo anytime versus the generic, fragmented POS that everyone else has.
  • Reply 20 of 100
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

The future is apps which leverage the cloud, like Shazam, like Dropbox, like SimpleNote, RedDelicious, all the public transport apps, Skype, Wikipedia gateways, RSS readers, Twitterific, etc.

Now, please tell me why all these apps are apps distributed via the appstore and are not webapps? If the future is the cloud and webapps, why are most of the leading apps levering the cloud not webapps?

(Hint: It's about UI features and distribution/backup.