Official WWDC app released by Apple for conference attendees

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Those attending Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco next week will have the aid of a new iPhone application designed to help them find sessions and get directions.

As first noted by MacStories, the application allows users to the schedule of sessions for the conference, which will run June 7-11 at San Francisco's Moscone West. It features a searchable list of sessions, sorted by date. Users can view events currently happening, or browse what is available later.

The software, which can be downloaded at developer.apple.com/wwdc/app, is only available for those attending the conference. Attendees can access it by logging in with the account used to purchase their WWDC ticket.

The application also features a list of favorites that attendees can populate, and also provides updates on what's happening.

Apple's official WWDC 2010 application also features a "Places" tab, that gives a list of helpful locations for those in the San Francisco area, including the location of Moscone West and the nearest Apple Store. Users can also find nearby parking through the software.

This year's WWDC sold out in just 8 days, even with higher ticket prices, increased from $1,295 to $1,599. It is believed that this year's event will focus on iPhone OS 4, and will not feature an advanced preview of the next version of Mac OS X 10.7.

The conference will kick off on Monday, when Apple co-founder Steve Jobs will give the opening keynote for WWDC. Jobs is widely expected to unveil new products, particularly the next-generation iPhone. New rumors on Saturday suggested he could also introduce Safari 5 with a new Reader feature and support for Bing search, as well as Mac OS X 10.6.4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Nice bit of frosting on the cake for the attendees!

I remember an iPhone app put out by some big golf tournament in Scotland not too long ago.

We have only begun to see the applications of Apple's iPhone OS technology.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Comment removed by Author
  • Reply 3 of 22
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

is it on the app store? I can't find it anywere

According to the article, it's only available to those attending the conference.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

According to the article, it's only available to those attending the conference.

I've ammended my post.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Yeah,so? What's your point?

It's a perk for show attendees. I think it's a great little piece of promotion and PR. The vast majority of attendees will have iPhone OS devices to run it on, and it will make a great show handout and useful show guide. If people have to reserve seats for sessions, perhaps they can do it via the app. Very clever and classy.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Yeah,so? What's your point?

It's a perk for show attendees. I think it's a great little piece of promotion and PR. The vast majority of attendees will have iPhone OS devices to run it on, and it will make a great show handout and useful show guide. If people have to reserve seats for sessions, perhaps they can do it via the app. Very clever and classy.

He was responding to another user. Anyway I think it looks nice and will work like a dream for the attendees; as for it being news? Why is it news?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    I don't see an AT&T 3G indicator on the iPhone screen. Heck, I don't see anything at all saying AT&T on the screen. And normally, (with some exceptions), Apple puts an AT&T 3G indicator in the iPhone screen in their screenshots, ads, and promotional material for the US.

It may be because attendees worldwide will be coming to WWDC, but this may also be a subtle hint of Apple going multicarrier in the US, IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post

I don't see an AT&T 3G indicator on the iPhone screen. Heck, I don't see anything at all saying AT&T on the screen. And normally, (with some exceptions), Apple puts an AT&T 3G indicator in the iPhone screen in their screenshots, ads, and promotional material for the US.

It may be because attendees worldwide will be coming to WWDC, but this may also be a subtle hint of Apple going multicarrier in the US, IMO.

It is a bit odd, being blanked out like that. But I really don't see a multi carrier announcement this Monday.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    I would like to see an app that lets me watch the keynote live!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    igod 2.0igod 2.0 Posts: 77member
    This app is super helpful! Most of the parking is free.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I wish I could attend WWDC 2010 live and in person, despite the steep ticket prices. I'm also curious to find out how much the upcoming iPhone 4G is going to cost.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The story says the event sold out. How many tickets were sold? Isn't this one of the basics? Ask questions, get answers. If you simply regurgitate press releases, you are not reporting.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It is a bit odd, being blanked out like that. But I really don't see a multi carrier announcement this Monday.

Apple blanks out all the Carrier names in the UK because there is more than one carrier, so although it is unlikely apple will offer the iPhone 4G on multiple carriers in the US on the 7th it's possible that they will in the future. If that makes sense..
  • Reply 14 of 22
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post

I must have missed something -- which iPhone image are you talking about? Online, a banner, in a doc? Sorry if I missed something...

jOhn

Edit: Duh - what a dumb ass. I guess I could have looked at the article to see the images I had a window in my stomache!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    1. This is not new. They did it last year too.

2. It comes with a provisioning profile, like all Ad-hoc apps, and will likely expire shortly after the conference just like last year's version.

3. The big deal is that it's universal for iPad too, and the iPad version is freaking awesome by comparison. Will be very useful to attendees this year.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    aokadamaokadam Posts: 2member
    This is most likely a stupid question but I'm assuming that the event will not be streamed/broadcasted live with a video and/or sound feed?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aokadam View Post

This is most likely a stupid question but I'm assuming that the event will not be streamed/broadcasted live with a video and/or sound feed?

No. It will likely be available later that evening though, like usual.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aokadam View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

No. It will likely be available later that evening though, like usual.

Just make sure you are subscribed to the Apple Keynotes Podcast and the video will automatically be downloaded to your Mac Monday afternoon-evening.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Anyone gonna mention.... Google did that already, and it was prettier, and free for everyone who wanted to check it out....

....Just sayin.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IJailbrokeYourMom View Post

Anyone gonna mention.... Google did that already, and it was prettier, and free for everyone who wanted to check it out....

....Just sayin.

I logged in just to say that. The app google released for google io had a pretty large feature set, and they actually allowed everyone (even the folks not attending) to install it on the android phone.