WWDC 2010 banners focus on iPhone OS 4 features, App Store success

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

Doesn't look too good for the Mac

Maybe it does not look good for the PC (as in personal computer not as in Windows-PC).
  • Reply 22 of 100
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Since there's a lot of discussion of Google here....

Just remember, Google is an advertising company. Nothing more, nothing less. Without that, they are dead. Why would any consumer allow them to control their hardware or software? They only got into Chrome, and Android, etc, because they know the future is mobile and they don't want to be locked out.

They're terrified of Apple - Jobs: "People aren't searching anymore. They're using apps. They're using Yelp".
  • Reply 23 of 100
    aokadamaokadam Posts: 2member
    This is most likely a stupid question but will there be a streamed/broadcasted live video and/or sound feed?
  • Reply 24 of 100
    All of the things mentioned on the rumor sites seem disappointing so far. We know about iPhone OS 4 and the new phones. Safari 5 is nothing to write home about. Hopefully Steve has something up his sleeve.
  • Reply 25 of 100
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPadWeekly View Post

All of the things mentioned on the rumor sites seem disappointing so far. We know about iPhone OS 4 and the new phones. Safari 5 is nothing to write home about. Hopefully Steve has something up his sleeve.

+1, or it'll be a big waste of $1,599 for the atendees.

Perhaps he'll use gizmodos photos of the iPhone prototype when he gets to the part were he shows what it looks like?

PS. one day to go (00:36, Sunday 6th. GMT)
  • Reply 26 of 100
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Perhaps I'm naive: maybe some attendees go for the technical sessions.

Steve isn't giving Gizmodo any more pageviews. He doesn't look backward very often. He's already focused on the next iPad, the next iPhone, the next whatever-it-is. He's just going to let the San Mateo County District Attorney's office do its thing.

Apparently, Gizmodo's Brian Lam was begging for help in liveblogging the keynote since Apple turned down their request for a press pass. I can just imagine the conversation in the office when Gizmodo's request was received by Apple. I wonder how many people it was forwarded to...
  • Reply 27 of 100
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Native apps are more satisfying than web apps. The main advantage web apps have is their ease of deployment.

But the App Store solves many of the problems of deploying native apps. I think ultimately native apps + managed distribution + documents on the cloud will be a better user experience than web apps.
  • Reply 28 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

As usual... people think that superior hardware is the sole factor in a phone. How these folks never learn.

I'll take iPhone hardware with iPhone OSX combo anytime versus the generic, fragmented POS that everyone else has.

Went to lunch today with a friend with a Droid Incredible. She got a text message, as noted by the vibration and possible the audible sound. She couldn't even read the display because she was outside in the sunlight. She moving it around like someone looking for a signal. So much for marketing hype over usability.
  • Reply 29 of 100
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aokadam View Post

This is most likely a stupid question but will there be a streamed/broadcasted live video and/or sound feed?

Apple is perfectly capable of providing a live audio/video feed, however they choose not to do so for these types of events. They normally post a video of the entire keynote shortly after its conclusion (same day, or next day).

I believe there have been some attempts by third parties at providing live A/V feed, but with mixed results in terms of quality. As with previous events, there would be a number of sites liveblogging the whole thing (with photos).

Note: If I recall correctly, Apple does provide streaming audio of its quarterly financial conference calls. Again, this is a marketing decision by Apple, not a perceived technical limitation.
  • Reply 30 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple is perfectly capable of providing a live audio/video feed, however they choose not to do so for these types of events. They normally post a video of the entire keynote shortly after its conclusion (same day, or next day).

I believe there have been some attempts by third parties at providing live A/V feed, but with mixed results in terms of quality. As with previous events, there would be a number of sites liveblogging the whole thing (with photos).

Note: If I recall correctly, Apple does provide streaming audio of its quarterly financial conference calls. Again, this is a marketing decision by Apple, not a perceived technical limitation.

There really is not financial reason for them to stream the keynote live.

1st Promotion: They bring down the store that morning until after the keynote.

2nd Promotion: They have the live bloggers doing their thing.

3rd Promotion: Change apple.com to reflect changes, make an SW updates active.

4th Promotion: Post the video as a stream.

5th Promotion: Post the video as downloadable podcast.

This is all pretty inexpensive for Apple yet from tech sites, to major newspapers, to financial news, to national and local news shows are all reporting on this. They certainly know how to make the most of a marketing budget.

PS: Can you imagine if they sold this as exclusive live TV rights or offered it up to everyone like a State of the Union address? I have think that more a few stations would go for it.
  • Reply 31 of 100
    i hope apple can improve on final cut studio and the macs. the whole iphone/ipad are changing their core values i think. i hope there is better stuff going on at wwdc than just iphone os. bring back the macs and software like the good old days!

• Reply 32 of 100
    I don't know why people are moaning about the lack of Mac stuff. Can you say to me that Mac is behind on the industry? No, you can't. It's on par with the industry if not a cut above. Just because Apple aren't making big noise about it, doesn't mean it's forgotten. They talk more about iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone because it's making big bucks and is the new 'Apple II'. If they neglect it for a second they would lose this new market. If they neglect Mac (which they aren't doing) it will still have it's fans. (I hate using Fan Boy's; makes us look mad.)
  • Reply 33 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

I don't know why people are moaning about the lack of Mac stuff.

When they have the next version of Mac OS X on the ready we'll see Mac workshops at WWDC. Until then, it makes little sense when the iPad and iPhone OS v4.0 are fresh out of the gate.
  • Reply 34 of 100
    cliphordcliphord Posts: 72member
    Why on Earth would anyone want a larger screen? How much larger can it get? This is a MOBILE PHONE after all. If you want something bigger to watch movies and read books on, I think Apple just came out with a product for that.

Also, if you want a camera that takes amazing, high-quality photos to showcase for your family and friends... BUY A CAMERA! My iPhone camera is great for snapping pictures on the go to upload to Facebook or MMS to a friend. But if I'm looking to make a real collection of memorable photos, I pull out my CAMERA.

Lord, ya'll made me stamp down the CAPS key. So, so sorry.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

Why on Earth would anyone want a larger screen? How much larger can it get? This is a MOBILE PHONE after all. If you want something bigger to watch movies and read books on, I think Apple just came out with a product for that.

Also, if you want a camera that takes amazing, high-quality photos to showcase for your family and friends... BUY A CAMERA! My iPhone camera is great for snapping pictures on the go to upload to Facebook or MMS to a friend. But if I'm looking to make a real collection of memorable photos, I pull out my CAMERA.

Lord, ya'll made me stamp down the CAPS key. So, so sorry.

I agree with everything you said but this seems to ba a men's issue (I'm a man). There is no way a typical woman can handle a 4.1-4.5" screen. They can barely handle theiphone screen and that is discounting fingernails. These are things I've noticed from personal experience.

If you need a real camera then buy one. Current smartphone cameras don't have what it takes but, like they say, the best camera is the one you have with you. So far the iphone's cera is as goof as anything out due to the quality of the software.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

The app store success cannot continue to be Apple's card, the future lies in web apps and more innovative use of the cloud.

I'm not sure you understand what the cloud means. So the cloud in cloud computing means that resources like storage and computing power (i.e. CPU, disk throughput, and memory) are served-up on a farm of servers and SAN storage. That kind of computing is idea for streaming applications (e.g. music and video) and apps that need high computational power (e.g. analytic, business, or engineering apps).

So you say the app store success cannot continue yet it embraces the cloud. All of these apps are bought and sold over the wire and not in a store or on hard media. App developers have the choice to create native apps or web apps so Apple is not limiting people to native app development. Many of these apps like Pandora stream content or actively pull content to your phone in a very cloud centric way.

I'm not sure how a major hard core video game could not have some native component on the iPhone. Even a Flash add-in has to be native for you to play a Flash game so don't tell me Flash embraces the cloud. A majority of the apps in the store or games.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

So, come June 7, if the next iPhone is not the ONLY device I need carry with me on my travels, Android beckons with it's superior hardware. Or perhaps even the Nokia N8 with it's excellent camera.

The Android phones are nice. If you believe they are superior then get one. I don't see what the problem is.
  • Reply 37 of 100
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Even though the banners are saying very little they look fantastic this year!
  • Reply 38 of 100
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The future is apps which leverage the cloud, like Shazam, like Dropbox, like SimpleNote, RedDelicious, all the public transport apps, Skype, Wikipedia gateways, RSS readers, Twitterific, etc.

Now, please tell me why all these apps are apps distributed via the appstore and are not webapps? If the future is the cloud and webapps, why are most of the leading apps levering the cloud not webapps?

(Hint: It's about UI features and distribution/backup.

Wow! The future lies within Distributed Networks? Oh Yea! We're back to 1994.

Sorry, but the future relies on Local applications that can leverage distributed networks where it adds value to the localized application and the user/developer using/designing for not just the social network [1996 IM junkie] but to have seamless access to highly specialized/smartly tagged information which adds value to your work flow, not one's down time/social time flow where 99.9% of that information is the same crap you overheard in high school.

We haven't really experienced the world where Corporations small and large are in fact distributed employee networks who spend more time remotely than locally.

What we call the Web today, will either evolve into broader access to more specialized information to get work done or it will continue to be an endless playground of TV, Advertisements and Strip Malls.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Started to get a little tired of iPhone OS. I'll stick with OS X, no doubt. However, I'm thinking switching away from the iDevices to something like Dell's Android-base (gasp!) mini tablet. My needs for an mobile OS have changed and there something even the iPhone OS can't do. Thats all.

I know OS 4 looks good. Though lately I've been trying Android 1.5-2.1 on their cross-platform emulator and have been fairly impressed. Its so open. Like, I like how you can download music straight from a the cloud, download, then listen to it the minute it's done, for example. Something the iPhone can't do.

Of course, I'm gonna be beaten to a pulp for praising the Apple communitie's newest "Microsoft," but still. I'm glad Apple finally has some real competition going with Google in the the mobile arena.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I can't wait for iAd to come online and give Google a taste of its own medicine. Imagine the potential for Apple to leverage its huge iPhone OS user base in this endeavor. Okay, Google, you wanted to play in our yard, so here we come into yours! Apple doesn't have to dominate the ad space in order to win, all they need to do is to cut into Google's profits enough to make them squirm. Hee-hee!

Yesh. Whatever happened to plain old competition?
  • Reply 40 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Like, I like how you can download music straight from a the cloud, download, then listen to it the minute it's done, for example. Something the iPhone can't do.

I'm a bit confused by this statement. You can buy albums or songs on the iPhone and listen to them as soon as they're done downloading or you can stream music from different sources. I use a platform called Subsonic to stream my entire library of music from my home server to my iPhone. The client (Z-Subsonic) also caches what you've played locally so you can listen to it even when you don't have a 3G or wifi connection.