WWDC 2010 banners focus on iPhone OS 4 features, App Store success

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

I'm a bit confused by this statement. You can buy albums or songs on the iPhone and listen to them as soon as they're done downloading or you can stream music from different sources. I use a platform called Subsonic to stream my entire library of music from my home server to my iPhone. The client (Z-Subsonic) also caches what you've played locally so you can listen to it even when you don't have a 3G or wifi connection.

Maybe he means free, illegal, downloading...
  • Reply 42 of 100
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The future is apps which leverage the cloud, like Shazam, like Dropbox, like SimpleNote, RedDelicious, all the public transport apps, Skype, Wikipedia gateways, RSS readers, Twitterific, etc.

Now, please tell me why all these apps are apps distributed via the appstore and are not webapps? If the future is the cloud and webapps, why are most of the leading apps levering the cloud not webapps?

(Hint: It's about UI features and distribution/backup.

It's also about bandwidth. AT&T is moving to 2GB plans, and globally networks are being strained by large usage of iPhones.

Web apps, nope, not practical because you got to load it/ cache it all the time. Cloud stuff? Yes, useful, but bandwidth issues in the next few years will require real intelligent implementation of cloud features.
  • Reply 43 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Perhaps I'm naive: maybe some attendees go for the technical sessions.

Steve isn't giving Gizmodo any more pageviews. He doesn't look backward very often. He's already focused on the next iPad, the next iPhone, the next whatever-it-is. He's just going to let the San Mateo County District Attorney's office do its thing.

Apparently, Gizmodo's Brian Lam was begging for help in liveblogging the keynote since Apple turned down their request for a press pass. I can just imagine the conversation in the office when Gizmodo's request was received by Apple. I wonder how many people it was forwarded to...

I'm sure it was posted on Apple's Intranet... "Guess what dear Apple employees, here's a day-brightener for you. Guess who requested a press pass for WWDC? ROFL..." This was followed by a memo from Steve titled "Thoughts on Gizmodo".
  • Reply 44 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Native apps are more satisfying than web apps. The main advantage web apps have is their ease of deployment.

But the App Store solves many of the problems of deploying native apps. I think ultimately native apps + managed distribution + documents on the cloud will be a better user experience than web apps.

+1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

i hope apple can improve on final cut studio and the macs. the whole iphone/ipad are changing their core values i think. i hope there is better stuff going on at wwdc than just iphone os. bring back the macs and software like the good old days!

The build quality of Macs has definitely gone down. I know people will counter with "Oh, but customer satisfaction surveys show etc etc". However internationally (where a huge percentage of Apple sales come from) there are big issues with 3rd parties providing service and support where no official Apple Stores exist.
  • Reply 45 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

Why on Earth would anyone want a larger screen? How much larger can it get? This is a MOBILE PHONE after all. If you want something bigger to watch movies and read books on, I think Apple just came out with a product for that.

Also, if you want a camera that takes amazing, high-quality photos to showcase for your family and friends... BUY A CAMERA! My iPhone camera is great for snapping pictures on the go to upload to Facebook or MMS to a friend. But if I'm looking to make a real collection of memorable photos, I pull out my CAMERA.

Lord, ya'll made me stamp down the CAPS key. So, so sorry.

iPhone just needs an LED/Xenon/Whatever flash from my "practicality" point of view. But there will be a few "ahhhh" features to keep iPhone "competitive" in the eyes of global consumers. 50 million iPhone 4Gs sold by end of 2010 is quite possible?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What we call the Web today, will either evolve into broader access to more specialized information to get work done or it will continue to be an endless playground of TV, Advertisements and Strip Malls.

The web helps to get work done? Not with Facebook and those "funny videos" flying all over the place.
  • Reply 46 of 100
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:

Why on Earth would anyone want a larger screen? How much larger can it get? This is a MOBILE PHONE after all. If you want something bigger to watch movies and read books on, I think Apple just came out with a product for that.

Also, if you want a camera that takes amazing, high-quality photos to showcase for your family and friends... BUY A CAMERA! My iPhone camera is great for snapping pictures on the go to upload to Facebook or MMS to a friend. But if I'm looking to make a real collection of memorable photos, I pull out my CAMERA.

Lord, ya'll made me stamp down the CAPS key. So, so sorry.

After seeing what that other product with a larger screen has done for apps I was just musing. Seems like they're going for higher screen density anyway, which will make text look much nicer, if nothing else. I don't use the iPhone camera at all to be honest, but the implementation of it into apps (like barcode scanners, and those AR apps which were all the rage) is pretty cool.

You should have just used SHIFT mate.
  • Reply 47 of 100
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The build quality of Macs has definitely gone down. I know people will counter with "Oh, but customer satisfaction surveys show etc etc". However internationally (where a huge percentage of Apple sales come from) there are big issues with 3rd parties providing service and support where no official Apple Stores exist.

Translation: "I know that the facts don't agree with me, but you should believe me, anyway".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Started to get a little tired of iPhone OS. I'll stick with OS X, no doubt. However, I'm thinking switching away from the iDevices to something like Dell's Android-base (gasp!) mini tablet. My needs for an mobile OS have changed and there something even the iPhone OS can't do. Thats all.

I'd be interested in hearing what iPhone OS "can't do". So far, I've found almost nothing that it can't do. Granted, using Logmein to access my main computer to do 'desktop things' isn't quite as transparent as I'd like, but it works fine.

More importantly, iPhone OS is not designed to do 'everything'. It's designed to do 'the things most people want to do' better than anything else. If you want to play a featureitis game, it's probably not the phone for you.

Quote:

I know OS 4 looks good. Though lately I've been trying Android 1.5-2.1 on their cross-platform emulator and have been fairly impressed. Its so open. Like, I like how you can download music straight from a the cloud, download, then listen to it the minute it's done, for example. Something the iPhone can't do.

It can't? Maybe you should learn what the iPhone can do before you criticize it. I do that on my phone all the time. Use Shazam to find out what a song is and then buy it.

Quote:

Also, if you want a camera that takes amazing, high-quality photos to showcase for your family and friends... BUY A CAMERA! My iPhone camera is great for snapping pictures on the go to upload to Facebook or MMS to a friend. But if I'm looking to make a real collection of memorable photos, I pull out my CAMERA..

Exactly. Apple appears to be the only one who understands that there are tradeoffs. If you try to design a device to do EVERYTHING, it's going to do nothing well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There really is not financial reason for them to stream the keynote live.

1st Promotion: They bring down the store that morning until after the keynote.

2nd Promotion: They have the live bloggers doing their thing.

3rd Promotion: Change apple.com to reflect changes, make an SW updates active.

4th Promotion: Post the video as a stream.

5th Promotion: Post the video as downloadable podcast.

This is all pretty inexpensive for Apple yet from tech sites, to major newspapers, to financial news, to national and local news shows are all reporting on this. They certainly know how to make the most of a marketing budget.

PS: Can you imagine if they sold this as exclusive live TV rights or offered it up to everyone like a State of the Union address? I have think that more a few stations would go for it.

Or, maybe, just maybe, it's Apple's way of rewarding developers and encouraging developers to attend WWDC - which has a value of its own.

Given the choice between Apple's PR expertise and some anonymous Internet poster, I'll go with Apple, thank you.
  • Reply 48 of 100
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

+1, or it'll be a big waste of $1,599 for the atendees.

Perhaps he'll use gizmodos photos of the iPhone prototype when he gets to the part were he shows what it looks like?

PS. one day to go (00:36, Sunday 6th. GMT)

I don't think the attendees paid $1599 just to hear the keynote live. And I didn't realize that WWDC lasted just 2 hours.
  • Reply 49 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPadWeekly View Post

All of the things mentioned on the rumor sites seem disappointing so far. We know about iPhone OS 4 and the new phones. Safari 5 is nothing to write home about. Hopefully Steve has something up his sleeve.

Apple already released the "revolutionary" thing for this year. If you can't remember what that is, maybe you should look at what you call yourself here.

It's inane to think that every Apple/Jobs event yields something totally unexpected. Apple is evolving its platform, piece by piece. It may look disappointing to you simply because you have expectations that aren't grounded in the realities of building a successful platform.

And by the way, what mobile phone has an easy-to-use video phone capability that's already connected to millions of people?
  • Reply 50 of 100
    Quote:

Started to get a little tired of iPhone OS. I'll stick with OS X, no doubt. However, I'm thinking switching away from the iDevices to something like Dell's Android-base (gasp!) mini tablet. My needs for an mobile OS have changed and there something even the iPhone OS can't do. Thats all.

What are those supposed "needs"?

Quote:

I know OS 4 looks good. Though lately I've been trying Android 1.5-2.1 on their cross-platform emulator and have been fairly impressed. Its so open. Like, I like how you can download music straight from a the cloud, download, then listen to it the minute it's done, for example. Something the iPhone can't do.

I didn't realize that the iTunes Store wasn't in the cloud. Maybe it's on my desktop?

I also didn't realize that I couldn't listen to a downloaded song the minute it's done downloading to the iPhone. Maybe my iPhone is different than yours.

And how does "open" meet your needs? How does "open" make you "fairly impressed"? The iPhone has over 200000 apps - I'm not sure how many more needs aren't met by those apps, especially when the Google-fanboys tell me that only about 30K apps is all that is needed in the Store to meet EVERYONE's needs; yup, everyone in the whole wide world.
  • Reply 51 of 100
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    1 day, 2 hours, 52 minutes to go!!!

Anybody have a last minute rumor roundup?
  • Reply 52 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Anybody have a last minute rumor roundup?

iPhone OS 4.0, iPhone HD/4G, new monitor(s), MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iLife and iWork 2010, maybe somthing apple TV related.
  • Reply 53 of 100
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:

iPhone OS 4.0, iPhone HD/4G, new monitor(s), MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iLife and iWork 2010, maybe somthing apple TV related.

+ Safari 5, new Xcode, free Mobileme and 10.6 update.
  • Reply 54 of 100
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Cool. Plenty to look forward to!
  • Reply 55 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Hi Berger and everyone, please use the Official WWDC 2010 Countdown Thread

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=110135
  • Reply 56 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

+ Safari 5, new Xcode, free Mobileme and 10.6 update.

I forgot about Safari and Xcode

Apple offering free mobile me would certainly be something, I would leave Google and Gmail in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 57 of 100
    Quote:

Whoa, whoa there buddy. Sounds too crazy for me.
  • Reply 58 of 100
    Quote:

I forgot about Safari and Xcode

Apple offering free mobile me would certainly be something, I would leave Google and Gmail in a heartbeat.

To compete with Blackberry and Google Mobile Me is probably going to be free. It may not happen though, could be pulled at the last minute if Apple feels the data centre can't handle it.
  • Reply 59 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

To compete with Blackberry and Google Mobile Me is probably going to be free. It may not happen though, could be pulled at the last minute if Apple feels the data centre can't handle it.

$40 Bn can build more data centers :P
  • Reply 60 of 100
    Quote:

$40 Bn can build more data centers :P

Heck, $40Bn can buy a small country or two.