Apple's iPhone market share three times greater than Android in US

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new survey of U.S. smartphone owners found that 28 percent use a device running the iPhone OS, compared with just 9 percent on Google's Android mobile operating system.

The data released this week by Nielsen shows Apple as the No. 2 smartphone maker in a poll of 11,724 users. Apple gained 2 percent in market share in the first quarter of 2010, compared with the previous quarter. The top smartphone, Research in Motion's BlackBerry, lost 2 percent in the same frame to sit at 35 percent.

Apple is ahead of Windows Mobile, which had a 19 percent market share in the first quarter, down 2 percent from the previous quarter. Google's Android came in fourth, with 9 percent. Palm took fifth with 4 percent, Linux sixth with 3 percent, and Nokia's Symbian came in seventh in the U.S> with 2 percent.

The study found that both Android and iPhone users are mostly male, but those on Android are typically younger, less wealthy and less educated. The survey discovered that 28 percent of Android users earned more than $100,000 a year, while 40 percent of iPhone users were in that income bracket. The average for all smartphones has 34 percent of users earning six-figure salaries.

Both iPhone and Android users are extremely loyal to their brands. Nielsen found that 80 percent of iPhone users want their next device to run the same operating system. Similarly, 70 percent of Android users said they will stick with Android for their next device.

The rest of the competition falls far behind, with just 47 percent of BlackBerry users looking to stick with a Research in Motion handset. And 34 percent of Windows Mobile users said they would stick with the same operating system in their next phone.

But Android users are also twice as likely to try the iPhone than iPhone users are likely to try Android. Among those surveyed, 14 percent of Android users said they would switch to an iPhone, while 7 percent of iPhone users said they would buy an Android device instead.

The Nielsen data shows Apple with an even greater lead over Android than the AdMob data released in late May. That study found that iPhone OS devices are twice as large as Android in the U.S., and 3.5 times greater globally.

The data shows that use of the iPhone has persisted in the market, helping Apple to keep its commanding lead over Android, even as sales of Android devices have grown significantly. Last month, the NPD Group declared that Android phones, available on a variety of devices and on multiple carriers, were collectively outselling Apple's iPhone in the U.S.

Last week, Nielsen released a "State of Mobile Apps" survey, which found that Apple had a vast lead in the mobile application market. That survey of more than 4,200 people found that iPhone users had an average of 37 applications, which was significantly more than the 22 applications had by Android users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 265
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Iphones have a bigger installed base than Android phones.

Is that news? Is there anybody who is surprised? WTF?
  • Reply 2 of 265
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Wasn't Android supposed to leave iPhone in the dust?
  • Reply 3 of 265
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    so 7% of iPhone owners want their next phone to be an Android based device, wereas 14% of Android users want an iPhone as their next phone.

Twice as many, that should tell us something.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

it's better than nothing
  • Reply 4 of 265
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I thought so too.
  • Reply 5 of 265
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

so 7% of iPhone owners want their next phone to be an Android based device, wereas 14% of Android users want an iPhone as their next phone.

Twice as many, that should tell us something.

Actually, that's good for android, 7% of 28 is more than 14% of 9.

over time, it means that the iPhone will have double the market share of android (ignoring all other factors), but that would be a significant erosion compared to the current ratio.
  • Reply 6 of 265
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

This is significant for me, as there has been a lot of high profile glitzy Android hardware.

When Apple release their new iPhone these may tilt the stats even further in favour.

A few weeks back it was reported like it is a case of when, not if Android would overtake iPhone OS in share. Now I'm not sure, I don't see why Apple can't hold on to their lead.
  • Reply 7 of 265
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Quote:

I thought that there was a survey recently that showed they already had... something from an ad company I think... anyone remember that? tanked the stock something awful.
  • Reply 8 of 265
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I thought that there was a survey recently that showed they already had... something from an ad company I think... anyone remember that? tanked the stock something awful.

I believe that was a 'study' showing that for a set period of time (like Feb to April) Android had a higher rate of increase in new users.

However someone pointed out that numbers are not without context and everyone that knows anything about Apple and the iphone is aware that come this month or next there will be a new phone. so if they are eligible for an upgrade they aren't as likely to blow it during that period but wait and see what is announced.

Also as with the whole 7 of 28 v 14 of 9, it was a percent of growth against current numbers so the iphones lower percent came out to a higher figure because it started with a higher base.

for me, the big conclusion in these numbers is that there's 72% of not iphones out there in the market. So you can't really argue that Apple has a dominance in the smart phone market, making antitrust claims against the hardware/software harder to pull off. And that can bleed into the App store etc since outside of music they are all limited to the iphone and siblings rather than open for all mobile OSs. Vertical integration is rarely judged as an antitrust issue in and of itself.
  • Reply 9 of 265
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

The April report from AdMob (a Google subsidiary) showed that Android (a Google product) devices in the US market made more ad requests to the AdMob network than iPhone devices. None of the other measurements in the AdMob report showed that Android had overtaken the iPhone, here in the U.S. or abroad. Nonetheless, this is the data that some media sites based their conclusions from. I'll leave it up to the reader to decide himself/herself whether or not deductive reasoning was sufficiently applied here.

You can download the AdMob April report right here:

http://metrics.admob.com/wp-content/...ics-Apr-10.pdf

AdMob's reports only show data collected on their ad network, not other ad networks. Also, AdMob cannot know what people are doing with their devices when they are not looking at ad-supported content.

So this really begs several questions: do Android users seek out more AdMob-supported webpages than iPhone users? Are the most popular Android apps more likely to be serving up AdMob ads versus similarly popular iPhone apps? Are there any pre-installed Android apps that are supported by AdMob? (no pre-installed iPhone app does).

Apple's stock was probably more affected by the broad market decline (Dow Jones, S&P 500, Nasdaq) than by the report itself. It's worth nothing that even with the report, AAPL has outperformed the S&P 500 over the past three months by a wide margin (+20%).
  • Reply 10 of 265
    Quote:

And didn't Nokia's CEO want Symbian market share in the US to grow to the market leader by now?

Turns out you can't do that while your largest smartphone partner and second largest overall US carrier (AT&T) offers the product you want to beat. True, there is T-Mobile, but Symbian S60 should have been launched on CDMA carriers by now if Nokia seriously wanted to gain share and become US market leader against the Apple/AT&T juggernaut. But they didn't, and that's what killed their chances.

Oh, and Nokia still has the goal to beat iPhone OS in US market share. Good luck.
  • Reply 11 of 265
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    So am I conclude that iPhone users are older, smarter and richer?
  • Reply 12 of 265
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

So despite the new data from polls, stats, graphs, and trends the only thing you took from the entire article was that iPhone was still bigger? WTF, indeed!
  • Reply 13 of 265
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I know a lot of "young people" (like myself) many of whom are iPhone users but none, that I know of, are android users.
  • Reply 14 of 265
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

So this really begs several questions: do Android users seek out more AdMob-supported webpages than iPhone users? Are the most popular Android apps more likely to be serving up AdMob ads versus similarly popular iPhone apps? Are there any pre-installed Android apps that are supported by AdMob? (no pre-installed iPhone app does).

With the lack of controls of Android was there some rogue code calling AdMob ads in apps running the background that the user wasn't aware of?
  • Reply 15 of 265
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Not sure. Perhaps the studies done about the Mac user vs. PC user demographic apply to mobile devices as well. I imagine they might.
  • Reply 16 of 265
    Quote:

What you may be remembering is a recent quarterly sales report where Android phones sold in greater numbers than the iPhone.

This article is a different subject: the installed base from ALL quarters. The iPhone has a huge lead in that regard, as this article reports.

Two different stats. But the trends, if they continue, indicate that Android phones will overtake the iPhone in total installed base by 2012, IIRC.
  • Reply 17 of 265
    Quote:

I think the only demographic that matters is smart (although the article only mentions education, not intelligence).

Note: My friend has Verizon, so I recommended the Droid Incredible, the latest smartphone released at the time on that network. He was so excited to show it to me when he received it from pre-order. The saddest moment, 5 people in the office couldn't figure out how to take a photo with the photo app. They could manipulate the camera in any other way, features purportedly lacking on the iPhone, but they couldn't figure out how to take a photo. Saddest thing ever.
  • Reply 18 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

for me, the big conclusion in these numbers is that there's 72% of not iphones out there in the market. So you can't really argue that Apple has a dominance in the smart phone market, making antitrust claims against the hardware/software harder to pull off.

Nobody in their right minds would claim that Apple has dominance in the smart phone market.

They are at best number three, trailing way behind Nokia and RIM.

The factor you identify will not make antitrust claims harder to pull off. It is entirely beside the point. Because you are arguing against a proposition which doesn't exist, you are making a straw man argument.
  • Reply 19 of 265
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With the lack of controls of Android was there some rogue code calling AdMob ads in apps running the background that the user wasn't aware of?

...frightening if true
  • Reply 20 of 265
    Limiting the stats to just US sales appears to show iPhone growth on par with Android for the period covered. Limiting the stats to Cuperinto's zip code shows looks even better for iPhone.

But once we take such arbitrary limitations away and look at the world as a whole, we see a different picture:

iPhone

1Q09: 10.5%

1Q10: 15.5%

Rate of growth:68%

Android

1Q09: 1.6

1Q10: 9.6

Rate of growth: 600%

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/19/iph...id-25-percent/

Looking at the whole of sales worldwide, Android is outgrowing iPhone by almost an order of magnitude.