Buy Canon 5D Mark II now or wait for 5D Mark III?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There's a problem I been doing research my next goal after 17" Core i7 MacBook Pro is a Canon EOS DSLR now the ONLY Full Frame Sensor is a 5D Mark II that's 21.1 Mega-pixels RAW+JPEG, it can record 1080p 24fps and 30fps (NTSC 29.97) it uses Compact Flash which can go 90MB per second read and Write with a 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro. Now I usally shop at Amazon but they don't have any in stock I'm considering ABT Electronics click link below. Who shop here are these people good they been in business for a while I need input would you buy now or wait either in the Fall or Early Next Year for the Canon 5D Mark III? My birthday is next month on 21st so please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quick question -- are you deeply invested in Canon glass? If not, have you considered other brands? There are other GREAT full-frame DSLRs out there for far less than the 5D MkII.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maribell7 View Post

I'd buy now and see if I like it (and I probably would). If after a while you decide to go for a newer version, you can always sell it somewhere. Well, at least that's what I'd do.

Of course you know when the Mark III comes out, the Mark II will lose most of its value. You'd be lucky to get half of what you paid for it. First of all, the Mark II is over a year and a half old, which is ages in DSLR technology. Secondly, you wouldn't be the only one selling.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Of course you know when the Mark III comes out, the Mark II will lose most of its value. You'd be lucky to get half of what you paid for it. First of all, the Mark II is over a year and a half old, which is ages in DSLR technology. Secondly, you wouldn't be the only one selling.

Yeah click on that link is that a good price? To justify the money spent always balance out the money earned. \
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't think it's a good idea to post links that go through ad farm servers, I removed it. What I personally use to verify stores is to go to Reseller Ratings . com. I usually avoid stores that I haven't heard of because they often are scam stores located in the boroughs of NYC, often they aren't store fronts but run down buildings. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is. Sometimes the scam is that they take things out of the box and charge you extra to put them back in. Or they won't sell it to you unless you buy the extended warranty.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Quick question -- are you deeply invested in Canon glass? If not, have you considered other brands? There are other GREAT full-frame DSLRs out there for far less than the 5D MkII.

Nikon's least expensive FF is about the same price. The only one that I can think of that is "far less" is the Sony A850 and it didn't really seem to match the ratings in terms of picture quality.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think it's a good idea to post links that go through ad farm servers, I removed it. What I personally use to verify stores is to go to Reseller Ratings . com. I usually avoid stores that I haven't heard of because they often are scam stores located in the boroughs of NYC, often they aren't store fronts but run down buildings. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is. Sometimes the scam is that they take things out of the box and charge you extra to put them back in. Or they won't sell it to you unless you buy the extended warranty.

Nikon's least expensive FF is about the same price. The only one that I can think of that is "far less" is the Sony A850 and it didn't really seem to match the ratings in terms of picture quality.

Actually they are a company verified I was asking was it a good price. That's is a good price, but I wanted to know is it the best price. I'm looking for Canon photographers input that are accustomed to dealing with this company and similar online. I'm seriously looking for a true Canon photographer input.