Apple's iPhone market share three times greater than Android in US

Comments

• Reply 61 of 265
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Limiting the stats to just US sales appears to show iPhone growth on par with Android for the period covered. Limiting the stats to Cuperinto's zip code shows looks even better for iPhone.

But once we take such arbitrary limitations away and look at the world as a whole, we see a different picture:

iPhone

1Q09: 10.5%

1Q10: 15.5%

Rate of growth:68%

Android

1Q09: 1.6

1Q10: 9.6

Rate of growth: 600%

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/19/iph...id-25-percent/

Looking at the whole of sales worldwide, Android is outgrowing iPhone by almost an order of magnitude.

Yes, that was true for just one quarter, where it started from a low base. iPhone also had two quarters where it grew by over 500% and over 600% year-over-year, but only fools would've expected iPhone to keep growing at that pace. In the same way, it would be foolish to expect Android to grow 600% yoy in the 1st quarter of 2011. Not even Nokia, the market leader worldwide, sells that many smartphones in a single quarter.
  • Reply 62 of 265
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I kind of agree. Do we not expect the iPhone market to be a good bit larger then the Android market?

By they way I had a chance to use the new EVO 4G yesterday. That phone is about as close to perfect as you can get. What I really like about it is an 8 megapixel cam which will take 720p video and 1.3 front mounted cam for video chatting. Being in ATL I have full 4G coverage so the download speeds were really nice.

Not sure how its going to stack up against the new iPhone but it was the best Android phone I have used by far.

Did you like the EVO enough to buy one? It sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for. If you did not - what was the reason?

just curious. where i live, i don't have the opportunity to see any of the new toys when they come out.
  • Reply 63 of 265
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It would be unremarkable, for example, if a product went from 76 to 78 percent of a market. But if a new product goes from, say 8, percent to 10 percent, it shows something much more significant.

If you stop your analysis at "they are both 2%", without thinking any further, then you miss much.

Some might say it's harder for someone with 76% of the market to get 2% more, after all, they have to get that 2% out of the remaining 24% (whereas the other competitor was getting its 2% from a larger market of 92%.)

So it depends on whether the market is saturated or not, and whether future growth is dependent on conversions or not.
  • Reply 64 of 265
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I kind of agree. Do we not expect the iPhone market to be a good bit larger then the Android market?

I expect Android to be much larger marketshare than iPhone after it matures.

The iPhone and Android both came out the same year within a months of each other, and despite the 'out of the gate" momentum for iPhone compared to the T-Mobile G1 Android should be outpacing the iPhone in unit sales and eventually overtake every device in the market in terms of unit sales and overall unit market share. It's the nature of the beast. Neither RiM nor Apple want to play that game, and I don't think Nokia knows what game it's playing.

WinMo7 has a chance to be more profitable than WinMo is right now as this category of computing is growing rapidly and will soon outpace desktop OS sales per quarter. But it won't beat the install base of a free, open mobile OS being used by dozens companies and counting.

WinMo's clear advantage over Android and where it will compete most with iPhone and Blackberry is in the corporate world. I've seen nothing from Android yet that tells me they wish to take that market seriously, but I don't think they have to in order to be successful for their vendors.

Quote:

By they way I had a chance to use the new EVO 4G yesterday. That phone is about as close to perfect as you can get. What I really like about it is an 8 megapixel cam which will take 720p video and 1.3 front mounted cam for video chatting. Being in ATL I have full 4G coverage so the download speeds were really nice.

I played with one, too. It's quite nice. I have mixed feeling about HTC Sense UI. In some places they make it better, but in others it's clearly more convoluted.

The display was a little big for my tastes. I like a phone that fits in the pocket more easily. However, I see this as a clear win for the HTC especially since it's between 1.60 (16:10) and 1.78 (16:9) aspect ratio with 1.67. In other words, Apple can't go with a 4.3" display without making the phone excessively wide or by changing the 1.50 (3:2) aspect ratio, which would be a boondoggle for their developers requiring yet another universal app for the iPhone OS.

I wasn't able to compare the camera images outside the device or use it outside in direct sunlight. Also, the 1.3Mpx front-facing camera is more marketing than anything else, except for taking self portraits. 1.3Mpx translates to a resolution of 1280x1024, which is way to large for video chat. I assume this is reduced to about 0.3Mpx (640x480 resolution) or less for video conferencing. I didn't find a video conferencing app or have another EVO to which to test it.

All in all, it's the best Android phone I've used and thought about buying one to test, but with the iPhone coming out so soon I opted against it. I look forward to seeing how WiMAX stands up to AT&T's 3G and Verizon's LTE in throughput, latency and power usage.

Quote:

Not sure how its going to stack up against the new iPhone but it was the best Android phone I have used by far.

The EVO 4G has a 217ppi. The current iPhone has a 171ppi, which was comparatively high when it came out in 2007. The next iPhone is rumored to have a 343ppi.

For comparison the Moto Droid has 265ppi, currently the highest I have seen. The Nexus One and Droid Incredible have a 252ppi, using the same aspect ratio and pixel count as the EVO 4G, but on a 3.7" display. While the EVO 4G has a lower ppi for a modern Android phone the screen real estate and quality more than make up for that and shouldn't be a deterrent for buyers.

The next iPhone will surely be the highest and best smartphone display again, but will also likely get trumped again in short order. With such a pixel count I don't expect Apple to change the resolution for at least 3 years again, if not more, only increasing the quality of the LCD panel itself.
  • Reply 65 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparky99 View Post

Actually the graph says it is National poll.

Also the Nokia numbers clearly show the survey is US only.

Yuh, that's my point.
  • Reply 66 of 265
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Did you like the EVO enough to buy one? It sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for. If you did not - what was the reason?

just curious. where i live, i don't have the opportunity to see any of the new toys when they come out.

The EVO is a love or hate when it comes to the size of the phone. Its huge. A 4.3 inch screen, its a big phone. I really like it enough to buy one but I have to wait two months for my contract with Verizon to end.

I could pay an ETF and go with either the new iPhone or Evo which right now are really the only two phones I am considering. I have been using a BB for years and I am just simply tired of them.

When I said the EVO blows away the current iPhone I was talking hardware wise, which specs don't aways matter, the new iPhone specs in regards to speed should be about the same as the EVO. I also try not to compare cross platforms much because they are rather different.

However when I compare all the Android phone the EVO at least in my opinion is the best I have used. It makes my BB feel like 1980's technology.

A few things held me back. First I only got to use the phone for a short time and it was the first day it was released. I would like to read some user reviews to see how people like it over the next week or so. The next would be Android 2.2 will offer some good benefits and I have time to wait. Third of course is I would like to use the new iPhone and see how I like that.

This buy is far more of a want then a need. So I have time.
  • Reply 67 of 265
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    Quote:

What you are saying is all true. Apples numbers on the iPhone are remarkable, however it looks pretty clear that Google is not only making a very good OS with Android but the Android based phones are really getting good. Phones like the Evo and Incredible are really solid HTC phones. I used the EVO yesterday for about an hour and it was by far the best Android phone I have ever used.

Blackberry is going to be hurt by Android and I simply don't see Windows mobile going anywhere.

Like everyone I am not sure what the new iPhone will offer but at least in my opinion which of course is subjective the EVO blows away the current iPhone. That of course could change this coming week.

Recent review of EVO : http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...?hpid=sec-tech

• Reply 68 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I expect Android to be much larger than iPhone after it matures. The iPhone and Android both came out the same year within a months of each other, and despite the 'out of the gate" momentum for iPhone compared to the T-Mobile G1 Android should be outpacing the iPhone in unit sales and eventually overtake every device in the market in terms of unit sales and overall unit market share. It's the nature of the beast. Neither RiM nor Apple want to play that game, and I don't think Nokia knows what game it's playing.

WinMo7 has a chance to be more profitable than WinMo is now in the smartphone market as this category of computing is growing rapidly and will soon outpace desktop OS sales per quarter, but it won't beat the install base of a free, open mobile OS being used by dozens companies and counting. WinMo's clear advantage over Android and where it will compete most with iPhone and Blackberry is in the corporate world. I've seen nothing from Android yet that tells me they wish to take that market seriously, but I don't think they have to in order to be successful for their vendors.

I played with one, too. It's quite nice. I have mixed feeling about HTC Sense UI. In some places they make it better, but in others it's clearly more convoluted.

The display was a little big for my tastes. I like a phone that fits in the pocket more easily. However, I see this as a clear win for the HTC especially since it's between 1.60 (16:10) and 1.78 (16:9)aspect ratio with 1.67. In other words, Apple can't go with a 4.3" display without making the phone excessively wide or by changing the 1.50 (3:2) aspect ratio, which would be a boondoggle for their developers requiring yet another universal app for the iPhone OS.

I wasn't able to compare the camera images outside the device or use it outside in direct sunlight. Also, the 1.3Mpx front-facing camera is more marketing than anything else, except for taking self portraits. 1.3Mpx translates to a resolution of 1280x1024, which is way to large for video chat. I assume this is reduced to about 0.3Mpx (640x480 resolution) or less for video conferencing. I did find a video conferencing app or have another EVO to which to test it.

All in all, it's the best Android phone I've used and thought about buying one to test, but with the iPhone coming out so soon I opted against it. I look forward to seeing how WiMAX stands up to AT&T's 3G and Verizon's LTE in throughput, latency and power usage.

The EVO 4G has a ppi of 217. The current iPhone has a ppi 171, which was high when it came out in 2007. The next iPhone is rumored to have a ppi of 343.

For comparison the Moto Droid has a ppi of 265, currently the highest I have seen. The Nexus One and Droid Incredible have a ppi of 252, using the same aspect ratio and pixel count as the EVO 4G, but on a 3.7" display. While the EVO 4G has a lower ppi for a modern Android phone the screen real estate and quality more than make up for that and shouldn't be a deterrent for buyers.

The next iPhone will surely be the highest and best smartphone display again, but will also likely get trumped again in short order. With such a pixel count I don't expect Apple to change the resolution for at least 3 years again, if not more, only increasing the quality of the LCD panel itself.

After reading your post I was thinking how nice the options are shaping up now that there is soem true competition when it comes to high end smartphones.

You are right abotu the EVO the size is either a love it or hate it. Its a big phone. I was in full 4G coverage and the rating are a overstated at least in my area. They claim it can do 3-6Mbps but I was getting around 2.7-3.2Mbps. Which is very good but certianly no wheres near 6Mbps.

You are right about the UI, some parts are really good some parts make you shake your head.

The EVO was very good in daylight because its LCD compared to the Incredible which was next to impossible to see with its OLED.

They did allow me to tether to my iPad which I had on me and I was getting really good speeds. Thats an additional 29.99 per phone to tether.

You know its kind of interesting, I use to bitch about having to use iTunes all the time and using it to sync and backup. But now I am so use to doing that its almost scary to think of going in a different direction...lol.

In any case at least to me Google and Apple are it. It seems like BB and Windows Mobile are going to have a hard future. The new Blackberry Bold is what I use for work now and damn it feels like I went from an HDTV to a 13" black and white.
  • Reply 69 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Yes, that was true for just one quarter, where it started from a low base. iPhone also had two quarters where it grew by over 500% and over 600% year-over-year, but only fools would've expected iPhone to keep growing at that pace. In the same way, it would be foolish to expect Android to grow 600% yoy in the 1st quarter of 2011. Not even Nokia, the market leader worldwide, sells that many smartphones in a single quarter.

Very true. In isolation, the varying dynamics of this nascent market can show all sorts of fluctuations in any given quarter.

For a broader view it can be useful to augment current sales data, such as those I linked to, with data spanning Sep. '09 through Feb. '10, giving us a much longer perspective:

Quote:

The report concluded that 45.4 million people in the United States were using smartphones in the period ending in Feb. 2010, which is a 21% increase over period ending last November. RIM still has a strong lead over the field, with 42.1% of the smartphone market share, and it rose by 1.3% over this period. But the most interesting story is the rapid rise of Android, whose share grew 5.2%. Apple’s share has remained stable, with a .1% drop.

I think Solipsism summed it up very well when he wrote:

"I expect Android to be much larger than iPhone after it matures."

His opinion is strongly supported by Gartner:

Android to overtake iPhone in 2012

http://www.electronista.com/articles...re.in.3.years/
  • Reply 70 of 265
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Hey extreme, nice to see you back. Even 'tho I hardly ever agree with you, I always enjoy reading you. ( When you're not too "over the top" )

My take on this is this: First of all, anyone, and I mean anyone, can find, and use, figures to tell any story they want to ... just read the financial "experts" commenting on the economy and you'll see what I mean.

Secondly, even a "fanboy" like me would not be thinking clearly if they thought that Android would not, at some time in the future, pass Apple in cell phone OS usage.

I think of it like this ... it's Apple against the world. Apple is only on Apple devices, Android is on any/all the rest. Surely, at some time, Android will be # 1 in "market share". The thing is, neither Apple nor I (and others like me) .... give a shit.

Apple's philosophy is, and always has been, to make the best hardware/software that it can to give the best user experience that it can. If, as a result, they capture the biggest slice of the pie ... that's a bonus ... but they do not chase market share, nor should they. There are enough Google's and Msft's in the world to do that.

Does anybody think that Google cares about the quality of any of the phones that Android populates? Their philosophy is ... hey, make any POS you want ... we'll dumb down our OS to "make it work" or better yet you can DIY.

Personally, I couldn't care less if Apple is #1 or # 25, as long as they are still around and putting out the very best hardware, software and consumer experience in the world. Keep it up Apple!
  • Reply 71 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Narcoma View Post

Recent review of EVO : http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...?hpid=sec-tech

Yeah I was just reading that today. Not sure I agree totally with his review but is isn't all that off on some issues. I do agree that 2.2 will offer some solid benefits but I don't really agree that Android users will have to "wait a long time" for updates.

I mean even if you look at the time from 3.1 to 3.2 with the iPhone that was six months.
  • Reply 72 of 265
    Quote:

The EVO was very good in daylight because its LCD.

No wonder it's lower than the ppi of the other HTC phones and still looks great. Now that I think about it, the contrast wasn't all out of whack like on OLED phones. Part of the reason why i thought it looked so good, yet I didn't realize that until now.
  • Reply 73 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Hey extreme, nice to see you back. Even 'tho I hardly ever agree with you, I always enjoy reading you. ( When you're not too "over the top" )

My take on this is this: First of all, anyone, and I mean anyone, can find, and use, figures to tell any story they want to ... just read the financial "experts" commenting on the economy and you'll see what I mean.

Secondly, even a "fanboy" like me would not be thinking clearly if they thought that Android would not, at some time in the future, pass Apple in cell phone OS usage.

I think of it like this ... it's Apple against the world. Apple is only on Apple devices, Android is on any/all the rest. Surely, at some time, Android will be # 1 in "market share". The thing is, neither Apple nor I (and others like me) .... give a shit.

Apple's philosophy is, and always has been, to make the best hardware/software that it can to give the best user experience that it can. If, as a result, they capture the biggest slice of the pie ... that's a bonus ... but they do not chase market share, nor should they. There are enough Google's and Msft's in the world to do that.

Does anybody think Google cares about what the quality is of any of the phones that Android populates? Their philosophy is ... hey, make any POS you want ... we'll dumb down our OS to "make it work" or better yet you can DIY.

Personally, I couldn't care less if Apple is #1 or # 25, as long as they are still around and putting out the very best hardware, software and consumer experience in the world. Keep it up Apple!

I don't think I have been that over the top lately. I have dialed it back a good bit...lol. Well except with Quadra.

When you are talking about dumbing down an OS, I would say Android/Google doesn't get into that. However you are right Apple is one of the few (if not the only) the cares just as much if not more about the hardware as they do the software. But that is why Apple is Apple.

I just happen to live in a market where technology is big, always have either in NYC or Atlanta. Never lived in some hick part of the midwest. So I get to try out alot of these toys.

The iPhone is great, its that simple, many of the HTC phones are really good and now some of them are getting close to being great.

Microsoft for some reason just can't change and they are dying because of it. I used a Windows Mobile phone the other day and got sick of it in 5 mins. It was just annoying to use. Microsoft can only think one way and for the exception of Windows 7 everything else if killing their company, including the CEO.

Will Android in total pass the iPhone I guess it can at some point, but I'm not really sure that important other then it will give all of us better smartphones no matter what option we go with at the time.

The iPad is working out pretty well, it will be nice when multitasking comes around and also being a Windows user I do wish it played Flash so I don't have to put it down and go to my MBP or PC when I want to view certain sites. It would be nice if sites started to move rapidly away from Flash, which I know isn't going to happen or Apple and Adobe would find a way to work things out. Which doesn't seem in the cards right now.
  • Reply 74 of 265
    Quote:

No wonder it's lower than the ppi of the other HTC phones and still looks great. Now that I think about it, the contrast wasn't all out of whack like on OLED phones. Part of the reason why i thought it looked so good, yet I didn't realize that until now.

I took the Incredible outside to check it out. Good luck reading the screen. I am so glad Apple has not gone to OLED with anything. I sit outside with my iPad all the time and I have to say the screen is simply awesome. Its also the best ebook reader I have ever used.

The 4.0 update to the iPad however will be welcome.
  • Reply 75 of 265
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's as I suspected... Android will become the de facto commodity "smartphone", whereas iPhone will retain the top-tier customers.
  • Reply 76 of 265
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:

Nobody in their right mind would claim that profits have no barring on dominance in a market.
    It sure looks like they are dominate to me.

Interesting link. Can the iPhone naysayers provide a link that contradicts this?
  • Reply 77 of 265
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Based on Stevie's statement advertising stats and app downloads should be considerably higher on Android than on iPhone per unit by virtue of the fact that mundane apps for simply taking a photo with the included camera HW are oddly not included.

"Should be"?

No included photo app?

I don't really know what premises you rely on for either of these. you reach them based on my statements? Huh?
  • Reply 78 of 265
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

I have seen a lot of doctors praising their iPhones

The entire medical establishment is rightly famous for being technologically illiterate. I dunno about the "lot of doctors" you saw.

But if they are average doctors, their technology opinions are likely unreliable.
  • Reply 79 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

Interesting link. Can the iPhone naysayers provide a link that contradicts this?

I don't know about the "naysayers", but personally I like it:

- as an Apple shareholder I make money from their highest-in-the-industry margins

- as a developer I get the freedom to choose my own tools and the ROI of using cross-platform frameworks when developing for the majority

- as a customer I get to choose what I can put on my phone

I win on all sides.
  • Reply 80 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

"Should be"?

No included photo app?

I don't really know what premises you rely on for either of these. you reach them based on my statements? Huh?

Now you aren't even standing behind your own statements.