WWDC 2010 banners focus on iPhone OS 4 features, App Store success

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Like, I like how you can download music straight from a the cloud, download, then listen to it the minute it's done, for example. Something the iPhone can't do.

I can open iTunes on my iPhone, download a song and listen to it the minute it's done. I can doe this over 3G or WiFi. I don't know why you think/say you can't.
  • Reply 62 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or, maybe, just maybe, it's Apple's way of rewarding developers and encouraging developers to attend WWDC - which has a value of its own.

Given the choice between Apple's PR expertise and some anonymous Internet poster, I'll go with Apple, thank you.

1) You are always so abrasive for no reason.

2) It's part of their marketing engine. If you attend you WWDC just to go to the keynote, but you aren't there to take courses or are working for a company in some capacity that is pretty lame. Plus, if you what you say is true then they would offer no video of the event, yet they do.

3) It is part of their marketing engine at work. There is no need to spend money if you don't have to and this filters throughout their business as a whole.

4) You're not going with Apple over "some anonymous Internet poster", you're going with your own opinion. Big difference. I'm the one going with Apple here, not you.
  • Reply 63 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Good Fella View Post

I can open iTunes on my iPhone, download a song and listen to it the minute it's done. I can doe this over 3G or WiFi. I don't know why you think/say you can't.

I can't do that on the iPHone before it's done from iDisk and Dropbox, to name a few. I can also do it with videos, as well.
  • Reply 64 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

You should have just used SHIFT mate.

Or bold. The caps thing is irritating. Would you actually shout those words if you were talking to someone? Prolly not.
  • Reply 65 of 100
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm sure it was posted on Apple's Intranet... "Guess what dear Apple employees, here's a day-brightener for you. Guess who requested a press pass for WWDC? ROFL..." This was followed by a memo from Steve titled "Thoughts on Gizmodo".

I'm sure that the folks administering the conference had been told in advance what to do with a possible Gizmodo application. They didn't have to send it anywhere... but they may still have done so just for yucks.

Thompson
  • Reply 66 of 100
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It's gonna be a while 'til anyone catches up with that!

Other than McDonalds, that's some impressive stuff.
  • Reply 67 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

+1, or it'll be a big waste of $1,599 for the atendees.

Perhaps he'll use gizmodos photos of the iPhone prototype when he gets to the part were he shows what it looks like?

PS. one day to go (00:36, Sunday 6th. GMT)

This is a developer's conference. The hardware introductions are fun for the general public, but people mainly attend WWDC to learn and make business deals. If there were no product announcements, developers would still want and need a forum to meet.
  • Reply 68 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Even though the banners are saying very little they look fantastic this year!

Yeah, I like the whole app vortex/tornado thing they got goin' on.
  • Reply 69 of 100
    Quote:

I'm sure it was posted on Apple's Intranet... "Guess what dear Apple employees, here's a day-brightener for you. Guess who requested a press pass for WWDC? ROFL..." This was followed by a memo from Steve titled "Thoughts on Gizmodo".

You can bet there have been pictures of every Gizmodo employee circulated to security with orders to "tase" first, ask questions later.
  • Reply 70 of 100
    cliphordcliphord Posts: 72member
    My one big wish that probably won't ever be granted - at this WWDC or in the future - is the ability to remove the iPhone's "factory" apps (without jail breaking, of course).

This is a personal request, though, because I just don't need their crappy Weather app, Voice Memos, Stocks, or even YouTube for that matter. I'm sure there's a reason we're required to keep these, but what is it?
  • Reply 71 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

+ Safari 5, new Xcode, free Mobileme and 10.6 update.

Oh, I will be so pissed if Apple offers free MobileMe. Jobs better give me an iTunes store credit.
  • Reply 72 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Or bold. The caps thing is irritating. Would you actually shout those words if you were talking to someone? Prolly not.

Actually, yes. The words I put in CAPS were meant to be "shouted" at the guy who wants some super, futuristic device that takes professional quality photos, read a books to him, and jerks him off... all for $199. Oh, and with free, unlimited tethering!

That is irritating. Did I use italics correctly?
  • Reply 73 of 100
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Web apps, nope, not practical because you got to load it/ cache it all the time.

What does this mean?
  • Reply 74 of 100
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

its about the whole user experience and the average phone user has proven that is all it takes. example: iphones success.

Given that the average phone user does not buy an iPhone, how does your statement make sense? Maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Just with respect to people who buy smartphones, more than 4 people decide against the iPhone for every 1 who buys it.

If you are talking the "average phone user" in general, including everyone who buys mobile phones, the iPhone's market share is so small that it is included in the "other" category.

The average phone user does NOT buy an iPhone. The iPhone demographic strays far from the average. Recently, for example, information was reported that (not surprisingly) iPhone demographics are skewed towards older, better educated and wealthier customers.

Nope. The "average phone user" has NOT proven that "the whole user experience" is "all it takes". The opposite, maybe.
  • Reply 75 of 100
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

I do hope I am wrong and we'll see some cool Mac-related things this year!

This year? Probably.

Future years? Less and less.
  • Reply 76 of 100
    sinisterjoesinisterjoe Posts: 134member
    Looking forward to the possibility of a 4.0 beta for the iPad at WWDC
  • Reply 77 of 100
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aokadam View Post

... will there be a streamed/broadcasted live video and/or sound feed?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple is perfectly capable of providing a live audio/video feed, however they choose not to do so for these types of events.

Again, this is a marketing decision by Apple, not a perceived technical limitation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can you imagine if they sold this as exclusive live TV rights or offered it up to everyone like a State of the Union address? I have think that more a few stations would go for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or, maybe, just maybe, it's Apple's way of rewarding developers and encouraging developers to attend WWDC - which has a value of its own.

Here's an Idea ...

10 +/- years ago, can't remember exactly, but after Steve returned

Apple made available a Live Keynote Feed (in some fashion, don't know tech details)

The Local Mac User Group got that Feed, along with a Local Theater

Presto - instant Live Keynote with 200 other Folks, and Steve on stage (so to speak)

Was Insanely Great

Now ...

Is the Keynote Stream at least shown in the Retail Stores ?

Know this ...

Apple should do it, and in as many Public Spaces as possible

And if need or want, as mentioned above - charge admission, People will pay

Nothing like experiencing a SteveNote in a Theater surrounded by Other Folks

Is RDF to the max

Insanely Great

• Reply 78 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

The app store success cannot continue to be Apple's card, the future lies in web apps and more innovative use of the cloud.

cloud - n. A buzzword used by marketing executives too young to remember "thin clients".
  • Reply 79 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

cloud - n. A buzzword used by marketing executives too young to remember "thin clients".

True, but since thin clients failed a new marketing term was bound to billow in. The silver lining is that now there are technologies that make it viable.

I'm loving Dropbox and expect that much cloud computing will work in a similar fashion; not replacing local storage but acting as a way to seamlessly connect your devices.

Apple's iTunes "cloud" surely won't be moving your iTunes library off your PC or keeping an actual copy of your library on the cloud, but a representative copy of your library that others transparently are connected to.
  • Reply 80 of 100
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You can bet there have been pictures of every Gizmodo employee circulated to security with orders to taze first, ask questions later.

Now you're talkin'